Saturday, February 28, 2009

Top Chef The Finals

The main lesson I learned on Top Chef this week is that the most talented person doesn’t always win the contest. That it isn’t always how good you are but sometimes it is more important when you are good! The other lesson I took away from the show this week is that sometimes it is better to go with what you know and not listen to the advise of others. Imagine playing the same lottery numbers for several weeks in a row and then this week a friend talks you into new numbers and your old numbers win. How would you feel?

The challenge for the finals was simply for the contestants to cook the best three course meal they could cook. The did have help. They were given sous chefs to help with the meal. The sous chefs were previous season’s runner-ups. Helping Hosea was last season’s runner-up, Richard. Helping Stefan was season 2 runner-up, Marcel. And Helping Carla was season 3 runner-up, Casey. Right before they were to cook the three course meal an appetizer was added. Hosea won the right to pick which proteins the cooks would use for their appetizer by getting the baby out of the King Cake. He stuck Stefan with alligator. The meal was to be cooked at the famous New Orleans restaurant, Commander’s Palace and for an all star group of chefs, including last week’s elimination, Fabio.

Carla won the people’s choice as who they would want for their Top Chef but she finished third in the finals because she took Casey’s advise and went away from what she knew. It killed her with the judges. Stefan had the best dish of the night but was up and down. He was definitely the best chef this season. For the finals Hosea was the most consistent, cooking preveraltty even dishes throughout the night. Here is how I graded the chefs:


Carla - Appetizer -A
Course 1 - A
Course 2 - C
Dessert - D Overall: B-

Stefan - Appetizer- A
Course 1- C he froze his fish big mistake.
Course 2- A
Desert - C Overall: B


Hosea - Appetizer - A
Course 1 - B
Course 2 - A
Course 3 - A Overall: A- (Venison instead of desert)

The finals were close but season five’s Top Chef is HOSEA!

Although this season’s Top Chef was the highest rated season ever I didn’t like it as much as last season. First, there was nobody to really dislike. I can’t remember her name but last season there was a female chef that we all hated and we wanted either Richard or Stephanie to do her in. This season Stefan came the closest to being unlikable but he had a lot of likeable moments. Even in the finals he was the one to comfort Carla when she cried. Second, there was nobody to like enough to really root for. They were all kind of vanilla. Last season Stephanie was so likeable we were all rooting for her.

What is on your plate today? How do the Top Chef fans view this season’s rsion?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Rats! Blogger has done it to me again! Refused to preview my post and when I came back to the comment page, it was gone. I know, I know, I should write them in an editor and then paste into comments, but it's more trouble, so I don't bother. Perhaps I shall reform now. Hmmm, what did I say? Let's see...

I agree with your comments on Top Chef. I wanted Carla first and Stefan second, so I wasn't cheering the outcome. Carla made a Big Mistake listening to her sous chef and not cooking her own food. Oh, well, live & learn, I guess.

What's on my plate today? A decision tonight about whether to reheat pork roast, gravy and veggies or to "pull" the pork, add BBQ sauce and just have a sandwich. Since I'm working the library bookstore this afternoon and then visiting mom at 6, it'll probably be the sandwich. But there's enough pork left for both, so it's just a question of which day.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sorry about the Blogger goid ng astray. That just is annoying as all get out.

I also wanted Carla or Stefan first and Hoses last. Next week is the reunion show so it is going to be interesting to see if Hosea and Leah are together.

I think it is extremely hard to cook for one! Since you are working I'd go the easy route for dinner. Pick something up on the way home from the library.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill...I'm a little bit late in my condolences, I'm sorry your friend passed away. It's nice that you had that kind of friendship with him and for such a long time.

Also, inasmuch as I don't watch Top Chef, I don't have anything to add. However, I would like to know what channel it appeared on as I have never seen it nor watched it.

Have a great weekend!

William J. said...

Hi Red

It is never to late for condolences! I won't mention his son in law's name but will tell you two really good books were Gone But Not Forgotten and The Last Innocent man.

Top Chef is on The Bravo Channel. Channel 181 on Comcast so you have to have expanded basic to get it. I really like the dynamics of the show.

You have a great weekend too!

Bill

Anonymous said...

No wonder I've never seen the show, I only have basic cable and I don't watch very much T.V. I have eaten at the Commander's Palace in New Orleans however. My recollection is that it was very good, I was with a large crowd of other people from my industry and we were seated at a round table with a table cloth - that's all I can remember!

William J. said...

Hi Red

Believe it or not I don't watch much tv either. It just seems like every once in a while every thing I like is on at the same time. Friday Night Lights, Amazing Race, Top Chef, Dancing With The Stars.

The table where the judges sat was a long table with a table cloth. I wonder if it was the same one you sat at!

I'm hoping the next season of Top Chef is in Portland!

Bill