Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Writing & Your Bests

We have a local publication called the TIMES PUBLICATIONS. It is a weekly publication that comes out every Thursday. On March 19th they are publishing an insert called "The Best of Washington County." They asked for submissions and asked submitters to be creative as to "the bests", best relative for instance or best night with your dad our spouse. I submitted and entry and from the emails I received, one thanking me for the gift, my entry has a really good chance of being published. Here is my entry:

"My mom is by far the best 93 year-old I know. Sure she has the physical pains that come with aging but her mind is a sharp as can be. She reads two to four books a week, does all the puzzles in the morning paper, and does all her own finances. She beats me at scrabble (there goes my ego) and then when I take her to lunch they ask if I am her husband (there goes my self-image). Sometimes a tough task master (she wouldn't let me use tawk in scrabble as the way New Yorkers pronounce talk), but every day she teaches me how to age gracefully, and not a day goes by when I don't feel her love. My life is blessed with the best 93 year-old there is! "

The picture I enclosed was the one of her and myself on her 93rd birthday that I posted on the blog here: http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2009/01/best-93-year-old-mom-in-restaurant-best.html

OK, as you all know I enjoying getting to know you more than I enjoy talking about myself. Tell me your bests. Be Creative. Best pet? Best Husband? Best moment? The day you were most proud of your children? Let's hear it. I already know that you are all really good writers. So write away!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Can't come up with anything on the spur of the moment, and don't have time to try to write anything coherent at the moment, anyway. But I like yours, and I hope you win a prize and get published. Your mom will be so proud!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The prize is being published.

I think you are extremely creative and coherent always!

Bill

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill - Good luck with the contest. I'm amazed at how well your mother is doing at 93 - she should get the prize. I write a business blog post every day and I am out of words...it takes everything I've got and then some. To be creative on a daily basis can be extremely difficult at times. I give you credit for doing the same! Well done.

William J. said...

Hi Red

It really isn't a contest just a paper asking for submissions to put together a special insert to their weekly. They only publish about 20 per cent of their submissions so I will consider it a win if the publish mine!

A business blog would be much harder to write than a daily journal blog like mine because there are limited business subjects. So I am betting you do great with your blog!

Thank you for your kind words but when the blog is interactive like mine and has some really good posters it is easier. However, it a bit of irony I have nothing to write about today!

Hope your day goes well.

Bill