Friday, February 20, 2009

Your Weekly Update Is Going To The Movies!

Sticking with a movie theme for a few days. Today is update day. The day when you tell me what is going on in your life. How your elderly parents are doing or how any of your other relatives are doing. Or most importantly, how you are doing. If you are new to the blog now is a great time to introduce yourself. If anyone has concerns or questions fire away not only am I willing to try to help and answer questions so are the wonderful group of posters here! Or if you just want to discuss anything let us know what you want to discuss. Got any important events coming up? Let us know what they are.

OK, now the movie theme. After you update me on your life I want to know that if there were a movies of both your life story and your life right now what would be the titles of those movies? What actor or actress would you want playing your part? If you were doling out awards to the people in your life who would you give Oscars to? Daughter, friend, relative, doctor, spouse?

My week was different. I learned I don’t really want this job. That my best times and my best performances are when I work on my own. It is definitely something to consider. As you probably remember I couldn’t work Monday and Tuesday because they didn’t have a computer for me to use. Monday I went to lunch with a former client and had a great time. Then the firm that bought my business gave me a bunch of work to do. Tuesday it was lunch and dinner with Mom. Wednesday and Today work at the new firm. That was after a doctor’s appointment this morning. I haven’t had a cold or a viral infection in over fifteen years. I have one today. An upper viral infection and a bronchitis. They gave me some antibiotics, said I wasn’t contagious so I could work, and said the antibiotics probably wouldn’t help as much as time. The doctor said that once you got to the coughing stage the infection was half over. So I’m about half way there. He also said this has been the biggest year they have ever had with people having infections. Stress levels due to loss of jobs etc, lead to infections. The effect of the bad economy goes to so many places!

My life story would be titled “He Never Gave Up” and the actor playing me would be James Spader. If the story was about my life right now it would be titled “Multiple Mister” because depending on the day of the week I would be Mr. Boring, Mr. Dedicated, Mr. Lonely, Mr. Responsibility. Again the actor playing me would be James Spader. I would award Oscars to my Mom for aging gracefully, My sister for doing what she can despite living a thousand miles a way, My Nephew for being my most dependable relative, the main caregiver for Mom (Susan) for always making mom and I feel better about ourselves and of course all the posters and visitors to this blog for always being there for me!

Your turn.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give you props for casting James Spader, as yourself.

William J. said...

Hi Noel

Sorry it took so long to respond I just got home from work.

Welcome to the blog!!

I love James Spader and a couple of times have been accused of looking like him. So it seemed like a natural fit.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with your job, but not totally surprised. You're so meticulous, so concientious, so inclined to be personally involved with your clients, I guess it makes sense that "work for hire" just doesn't do it for you, after all your years of taking care of clients on a personal basis. I have to admit that I don't think I could go to work for someone else, after the last twenty years of having my own business, run the way I think it should be done.

I truly hope you're feeling back on the top burner soon and that the viral infection is soon conquered and you take care of yourself in the meantime!

Gee, I guess I've got some catching up to do on what's been happening.

I spent Sunday (8th) giving Deb a tour or Greenville, which she seemed to really like, but I still think finances and the house in Phoenix are going to drive the decision. Monday we all saw the ortho, which I reported on and also commented on in subsequent email from Deb that Mom's "terrified" and Deb doesn't want her "coerced." I'm leaving all app'ts in place, since I think Mom needs to hear what they say at Joint Camp, if she'll go. Then again, maybe Deb wants to wait, move Mom to AZ and do it all out there. Wouldn't surprise me. Deb's in charge at the moment. Sue weasn't at the pool today, so I got no more info.

Trip to Orlando was okay, I got lots of knitting and reading done and some guitar time, but resented having to come home early because the weather didn't cooperate.. Did get in three days at the pool and one afternoon of line dancing (just what I needed!) The rig is empty and I'm pretty much caught up on things, other than the vacuuming and scubbing of rig and house.

Movie theme... I guess the title of my life story would be "Scattered." I kinda bounced off the walls (having a lot of fun in between traumas) until I married Walt and even that was scattered, with his kids and then cancer and all. I think I'd have Julia Andrews play me, if they could do magic with make-up to make her twenty years old. The title for now would be (I know, you've heard this too many times) "Suspended Animation." Like you, I'd again have Julie Andrews do me. Or maybe Jamie Lee Curtis for both movies, now that I think of it. Yeah, she might be better.

Oscars? Big gold one to Himself, who's been my rock for more than 22 years and so understanding and supportive the past four years. One to Skeeter, who's provided unconditional love for so long, through various traumas.To you for your support through the years and to Pat P, who's kept me sane since we reconnected. To an email friend, Barb, who has offered tremendous email and personal support in the last four or five years.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

This firm cares a lot about their clients and they are very, very nice, but the problem is with their procedures I don't feel very productive. With their procedures I am lucky to do one or two tax returns a day when I'm used to doing 10 to 15 returns a day.

I'm starting to feel better already.

Did Deb like Greenville enough that she would consider moving there?

I agree with you about leaving the appointments in place.

Glad you had a decent time at Orlando but wish it would have been even more outstanding and the weather would have cooperated!

I love Julie Andrews and I love both titles of you movie. That is why you are an editor, you are so creative! Julie Andrews is more you than Jamie Lee Curtis, imho.

Himself is just a trooper he deserves all sorts of accolades.
I love that you gave an award to Skeeter. Pets are just so loving and provide so much companionship.
And thank you for picking me!

Bill

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill - I too am sorry the job isn't working out. However, being self-employed myself for 34 years, I too would have difficulty working for someone else on their time on their terms. That's one of the reasons many companies don't hire people who have in fact been self-employed. One of my friends who is an HR person just told me that recently.Actually I was just waiting for you to come to that conclusion on your own as I thought you would eventually. Having worked on your own, it is difficult to be there for someone else. I would think with your talent, experience and skills you could have a home office?

Sorry about the cold also - hear it's going around. Glad you are on your way to a recovery.

My life "movie" would probably be Friday the 13th. I know that sounds a bit gruesome, but things have been difficult of late. I've never seen any of those movies however, so perhaps that isn't a good choice.

I'd want Goldie Hawn to play me, I too have a quirky sense of humor and sometimes people misunderstand me because of it. Somehow, I'd like to give it the title of "A Happy Ending" as I am surely working towards that.

Take care and get lots of rest - that always seems to help me no matter what ailment is.

William J. said...

Hi Red

I think Friday The 13th is an extremely creative title for you life story! I hope things start to turn around for you and more good things happen in your life! And I know the ending will be happy!

I love Goldie Hawn. Remember Foul Play? Seems Like Old Times? Two of my favorite movies.

I've worked three times for others. This is the third time. I liked the other two and the key is production. I worked for two ladies in Clackamas and did great and produced a lot of returns. Then last year worked for the firm that bought my business and again produced. I really don't feel productive at the new firm.

I can't have a home office because of a non-compete. The cold is getting better the antibiotics is working and my blood pressure is way down!

Bill

Mary said...

Two a day, wow. I am not even supposed to be doing tax returns, I don't take new clients, and I did eight today. I feel your frustration. I am all about the customer experience, but you can give someone a great experience and have them done in an hour, IMO.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Obvously I agree with you. I won't work at a firm with their procedures again. I will stick with the known. I think the firm I am basically audits the returns and does each one twice. It wouldn't destroy me if they let me go. Other than money!

Maybe next year I'll commute to Seattle and work for you or maybe we can start our own busienss!

Bill

Mary said...

If you came to Seattle and started your own business I would come work for you in a flash. That would be so fun.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I'd make you part owner!

Bill

Mary said...

Then you come on up here and let's start making plans.

William J. said...

I'm on my way!

Bill