Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Summary

It was an interesting night last night. The new format had its moments. I really did like the way they presented the acting awards. What they did was for each catergory is to have five winners from past Oscars introduce the nominees in the catergory that they had won in. You had Sophia Loren talking about Meryl Streep's talent, for example. What I didn't like about the format was everything else. The show dragged on at mid-point. I even came to the conclusion that had Larry Mark and Bill Condon produced Sixty Minutes it would be on the air for three hours.

The highlights:

Heath Ledger's win as Best Supporting actor and his family accepting his award. His dad, mother and sister accepted the award that will be given to his daughter Matilda and had even me shedding tears. It was the kind of moment that keeps me watching The Oscars.

Hugh Jackman was a great host.

Ben Stiller imitating Joaquin Phoenix was hysterical.

Jerry Lewis was regal and gave the perfect acceptance speech for the the lifetime achievement award. His speech was short and sensitive.

Kate Winslet gave an acceptance speech as classy as she was dressed.

Sean Penn gave an eloquent acceptance speech. He used the platform to champion rights for all. Good for him.

Dusting Lane Black gave a very stirring acceptance speech after winning the award for Milk for Best Original Screenplay.

Penelope Cruz a surprising win as best supporting actress was a classy as classy could be and gave wonderful acceptance speech.

Slumdog Millionaire a movie that was originally to go straight to video won the night with several wins. The crew from Slumdog was fun, charming, and having a great time just being there.

My predictions were a decent 80%. Here they are:

Best Supporting Actress:

Winner: Penelope Cruz for "Vicky Cristina Barcelone"

My will win: Viola Davis for "Doubt" 0-1

Best Original Screenplay:

Winner: Dustin Lance Black, Milk

My will win: Dustin Lance Black , Milk 1-1

Best Cinematography:

Winner: Slumdog Millionaire

My will win: The Reader 1-2

Best Supporting Actor:

Winner: Heath Ledger My Will Win: Heath Ledger 2-2

Best Original Score:

Winner: "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman Will win: Slumdog Millionare 3-2

Best Original Song:

Winner: Jai Ho" Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Gulzar

My Should Win: Jai Ho 4-2

Best Director:

Winner: Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire." My will win: Boyle 5-2

Best Actress:

Winner: Kate Winslet, "The Reader." My will win: Winslet 6-2

Best Actor:

Winner: Sean Penn, "Milk"; My will win: Penn 7-2

Best Movie:

Winner: "Slumdog Millionaire." My will win: Slumdog Milllionaire 8-2

The award season is now over so the blog will go back to talking about elderly parents, jobs, life, Amazing Race, Dancing With The Stars and the Top Chef final!

May you have an award winning day today!

6 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I blogged the Oscars here http://www.funnytheworld.com/2009/Feb/23.htm

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill. I loved the new format of 5 presenters, I thought it meant more to the individual nominees plus it gave us some insight as to how their peers view them. I love Sean Penn. He ranks up there with Dustin Hoffman for me. Both men get into their characters. There are some "stars" who always play the same role - themselves in whatever role they're supposed to be playing instead. I think both Sean and Dustin act differently for every part (the part they're supposed to be playing)and very few actors in my opinion can or do that. I think that's called "acting"!!

I didn't see Slumdog Millionaire - guess I have to go see it now and find out what all the fuss is about.

Also love Hugh Jackman - he can do nothing and just stand there and I'd still love him!

Hope the job is ok and you're still plugging along.

William J. said...

Hi Bev

I checked out your blog, I should have been reading your blog while watching the Oscars!

I missed the Amazing Race last night, who got eliminated?

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Red

The five presenters let all the nominees shine not just the winner, that part of the format I hope they keep.

Sean Penn is another favorite of mine too. He acts. And I agree with you about some stars always playing themselves, it is annoying. That is why Ledger woould have been an icon had he lived.

Let me know what you think of Slumdog Millionaire, I honestly thought Frost/Nixon, Defiance/ and Gran Torino were better.

Jackman suprised me. He is pretty multi-talented.

I'm still plugging along on the job but don't really like it.

Hope you are doing well!

Bill

Bev Sykes said...

Steve and Linda: http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/the-amazing-race-14--4146/

William J. said...

Thanks Bev

I really liked them too!

Bill