Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Tarot Reading

I haven't got much to write about today so I went to facade.com and had a free tarot reading done. It doesn't cost anything and shows up immediately on your computer if you enter your name, the type of deck you want, and the type of reading. I chose the Rider-Waite Deck and The Celtic Cross. I'm really not a true believer of the occult but I think it is fun to dable in and once in a great while you can get some guidance from the cards. However, they usually aren't that right on.

My life in General?

The Celtic Cross spread is one of the most popular Tarot spreads, providing varied insight into many aspects of a complex situation and your role in it. The Rider Waite Tarot is the most widely recognized Tarot deck, and the first deck published in the 20th century. It was created by members of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, and is especially suited to questions of a mystical nature.

The card not shown but at the center of the cross, represents the atmosphere surrounding the central issue. Two of Cups (Love): The perfect harmony of union, in romance, friendship, or business. A deep and palpable connection radiating joy and contentment. A great concordance or pledge of fidelity. The joining of male and female interpreted in the broadest sense. The sanctification of the natural through that which exists on a higher plane. May indicate the meeting of a kindred soul, marriage, engagement, merger, or partnership.

The card visible at the center of the cross represents the obstacle that stands in your way - it may even be something that sounds good but is not actually to your benefit. Seven of Swords (Futility): An opportunity to withdraw from a hopeless situation and fight another day. Disengagement from a struggle you should never have been involved in. A desperate attempt to resolve a matter without conflict. The use of cleverness or outright deception to turn the tide in your favor.

The card at the top of the cross represents your goal, or the best you can achieve without a dramatic change of priorities. Eight of Wands (Swiftness), when reversed: Too much force applied too suddenly. A flash in the pan. A foolhardy and untimely plunge into the unknown. Impatience leading to poor decisions in love, business, travel, or spiritual growth.

The card at the bottom of the cross represents the foundation on which the situation is based. Nine of Pentacles (Gain), when reversed: Bad luck attending material affairs. Elitism and snobbishness. Lack discipline resulting in the erosion of security and stability. Contempt for the exact labors that brought one to a position of refinement. Dishonesty in financial matters.

The card at the left of the cross represents a passing influence or something to be released. The Magician: Mastery over word, mind, and matter. The ability to turn ideas into actions, handle problems, and control one's life. The initiation of new projects, great works, or a new way of life. Eloquent and moving communication. Arcane and eldritch technologies.

The card at the right of the cross represents an approaching influence or something to be embraced. Four of Cups (Luxury), when reversed: New and unusual relationships and opportunities. The reawakening of your appetite for life or love. The path of excess leading to spiritual rejuvenation and the appearance of novel ambitions.

The card at the base of the staff represents your role or attitude. Ace of Swords, when reversed: The seed of defeat - perhaps as yet unseen. A challenge met with the invocation of force, leading to disastrous results. Reason and intelligence misdirected or cast aside, resulting in injustice and falsehood. An excessive power abused. May suggest new ideas or information with dangerous implications.

The card second from the bottom of the staff represents your environment and the people you are interacting with. Seven of Wands (Valor), when reversed: Failure to stand up for your beliefs in the face of a hostile majority. A self-fulfilling fear of failure or embarrassment. Great challenges met with cowardice. Quarrels, perplexity, and indecision at a crucial moment.

The card second from the top of the staff represents your hopes, fears, or an unexpected element that will come into play. Eight of Swords (Interference): Chagrin at the unforeseen consequences of prior decisions. Criticism, censure, and the imposition of external restrictions. Confusion leading to powerlessness. Inability to focus on the crux of a problem and free oneself from a difficult situation. Being hamstrung by a past failure or humiliation.

The card at the top of the staff represents the ultimate outcome should you continue on this course. The Emperor, when reversed: Weakness in character leading to tyranny and abuse of worldly power. Loss of confidence and ambition, coupled with the cold execution of the unthinkable. The inability to carry out plans or command respect. Being unreasonable and prone to fits of rage. A deceiver or demagogue.

Any comments? How do you feel about the occult? Devil's play or guidance? Would you like a reading? You can either go to facade.com yourself or email me your name and birthdate and I will email the reading back to you.

Hope you day is full of all the right cards!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to read tarot cards for fun for all my friends and was spot on in many many cases. Even predicted things people had no clue were going to happen in their lives then they did happen. At about that time, I had a series of 7-9 traumatic events in my life, any one of which would have done others in. My manager at the time told me to get rid of the cards because I was giving the good away and bringing all the bad towards me. It's been many years ago now and I can't remember what they call it but I was blocking the good from entering my life. I was getting to be quite the Tarot Card reader. In the middle of the night one evening, I got up and went outside and threw the books and cards in the trash. I could up to that point feel things. I have had many predictions since then without the cards come true as well. People have always thought I was psyhic in some way. After that my life started changing and improving but it was a difficult time from around 1994-1998. I no longer even go near a tarot card!

Pat said...

Okay, I'll be the black cloud over the party here. I don't believe in anything occult. Nothing supernatural. I think psychics and people who say God or animals talk to them are either frauds or deluded. I do find Tarot cards and psychic readings and such things interesting, mostly for the way they can be bent to suit almost anyone. And I like the pictures on the cards and the descriptions, much as I like the trappings of religion... the music, the candles, the robes... even though I'm a nonbeliever.

However, to be perfectly honest here, I do have to admit to a little magical thinking now and then, and a few minor superstitions, such as knocking on wood, which I do even though I don't really believe. I guess superstition is inherent in mankind in some way and maybe there's no escaping all of it.

dona said...

Ok I have to say I am with redwhistle and Pat on this one! I could not have said it any better.

William J. said...

Hi Red

I used to read tarot cards too but quit doing them because Tarot always turns out to be negative 90% of the time. It sometimes also becomes a self-fulfilling prediction. The tarot says you should end a relationship so you do. I don't reat them for anyone anymore but once in a great while I will read thme just for fun not for guidance.

You are an amazingly strong person to survive so many traumatic events!

People also think I'm psychic and sometimes I do have an inner sense about what is going to happen but I don't think that is being pyschic as much as it is being awars.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Being honest on this blog never throws a black cloud over anything. It is one of the blog rules!

I not believe in occult but I do believe in ESP there are just to
many recorded cases in history about it. But that is more being connected to another person than it is the occult. Mother-Daughter, twin to twin, sister to sister, ect.

I think people that take money to read for you or to predict your future are scam artists.

I also have superstitions. Find a penny pick it up, the rest the day you will have good luck. Walk on the same side of a pole as the person you are with because if a pole comes between you it brings bad luck to the relationship, four leaf clover, etc.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi dona

I pretty much agree with them too

Bill

Lady DR said...

We're back. Early (Monday nite) but I'm still in catch up mode and God only knows if I'll get to previous blog messages. HOwever...

I have a somewhat different view of the "occult" I guess. It fascinates me -- astrology, tarot, rune stones, numerology especially. However, I came to it through a teacher who emphasized that whatever is seen is based on All Things Remaining Unchanged from the Present Moment. I don't look at any of it as fortune telling, but rather as a way of possibly seeing where you are at the moment and examining why you're there and what you can change to make life better. Astrology, tarot and numerology I find particularly intriguing as a way of looking at today, how I got here and what I want to change the "negative future" if I don't like the consequences. I don't use Rider Waite, as I've never been comfortable with the deck, whcih seems negative to me. I use the Herbal Tarot, have for years, because it tends to lean more to the positive and to show how to change what's in the cards at the moment.

Like Redwhistle, I've done a few readings for others, at their request, and been spot-on. However, by looking at what led the folks to where they were, most were able to make changes and alter the potential negatvie outcomes, which made me feel good. This was the case with two folks at the Denver meet, for example.

So, do the cards tell the future? Not really. As far as I'm concerned, they show a bit of the past, a bit of where you are and a bit of where you may be going if you continue on the same path. As to reversed cards -- there are various interpretations of those and one of the things I don't like about Rider is that all reversed cards are negatives, which isn't necessarily true.

Me thinks it's past time to pull out the cards and see what they have to say for me.

Geez, I'm tired and babbling. Enuf.

William J. said...

Hi DR!

First welcome back! You were missed! Now repeat after me, sharing is not babbling, sharing is not babbling.

The occult fascinates me too but I just don't want it to control my life and that is one reason I am kind of a non-believer. Entertainment yes. I'm all for that.

Interesting the way you look at things, DR, you are one in a million. I agree with you about the Rider-Waite being negative.

I remember the Denver meet and I missed out on the readings!

So what did you cards say?

Bill

Pat said...

Bill, yes, ESP may be something else. I don't know how many of the reported cases would stand up to scrutiny, but there are certainly enough of them to make me think there may be something to it. Particularly with parent/child or with twins seeming to know things about each other's lives from afar. I wouldn't say I'm convinced, but I give that a lot more credence than I do Tarot, astrology, psychic readings and the like.

[g] Yes, the superstitions you mention are exactly the kind of things I do. If you ask me point blank do I *believe* in them, I'd say no, but I do walk on the same side of a pole and don't walk under ladders. And a few other things that are pretty silly, too.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I did a college research paper on esp and researched some documented cases. Even had some of those experiences in the family, mom knew about the car accident before she was told about it, for example so I do think there is a people connection.

I think all of us have little things we do for luck. Walking under ladders is dangerous besides being bad luck!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Thanks for the welcome back. Always nice to be missed. I shall try to remember shasring isn't babbling (wry s)

Like you, the occult fascinates me, but I don't let it control my life. I found some really interesting stuff, when I was doing research for a potential book on consulting the oracles. That's when I decided to use astrology, tarot and numerology to learn more about me and so much of it was true, regarding personalities. A friend asked me to do an "advanced" chart on her son, after he committed suicide and the scary thing was that it hit on so much he was going through and even pointed out that his "danger days" were those on which he went through serious issues and included his potential suicide. Fortune telling? No, I don't think so. Indications of problems that needed to be addressed? Probably. As I said before, I don't believe in fortune telling. I've just found that sometimes tarot or rune stones or a look a the numbers can get me to consider my percepton of issues at hand and, often, looking back, they've been quite accurate concerning events in my life. Not sure that makes sense, but there you have it. I guess I look at some of the oracles as somewhat educational.

The readings in Denver were spontaneous one night and I was really hesitant about them, but, as I said, two of them were right on, as I discovered when I got emails after returning home. I found that a bit scary and rarely read for anyone but myself and not even that much any more.

I haven't pulled out the cards yet. Still catching up. And, even with Mom in AZ, there's still doctor app'ts to reschedule, research to do, try to catch Deb up on what we've found unsuccessful here for the sinus, which has Mom flat out in Phoenix since arrival, try to determine why Mom's now waffling about the knee surgery (all of which is scheduled) and says she's terrified and Deb can't find out why.

Poor Deb is trying to deal with issues with which she doesn't have four years exposure/experience and with a Mom who isn't the same Mom she's used to having on visits. It can't be easy.

There are no breaks, it seems. The good news is that I'll be talking tomorrow, hopefully, with an 88 year old woman who had both knees replaced a year or so ago by Dr. R's partner and can get some info on Joint Camp and Sue's reaction to the surgery and recuperation period and end results. Maybe that will help with Mom's fears, although Deb says she can't identify them. I'm thinking Mom's remembering the complications after the bypass surgery and afraid of something similar with this surgery, even though it's unlikely. Time will tell.

Meantime, I continue in suspended animation, it seems, just like the rest of you. Here's hoping the energy level comes up soon!

William J. said...

Hi DR!

That is the key, not letting it control your life but I am sure we both know folks that won't do things due to horpscopes or readings or will do things because of them. I kind of think that is dangerous.

Amazing story about the person committing suicide. That is an example where if someone heeds the warning then the Tarot can do some good.

You have my curiosity about the two are Denver you were right on about but I know you are to professional to tell me so I won't ask!

Yes, I understand there being no break with your mom out of town there isn't a break. Sometimes when mom is out of town, although it hasn't happened for a while, there is more work than when she is here! Watching her house, checking her schedule etc.

I'm sorry about your Mom's sinus infection and hope she goes to the emergency room in Arizona for a treatment. There is a lot of Bronchitis going around.

Sure it isn't easy for Deb but it is a reality check and she will be more helpful to you when you become the lead caregiver again.

I hope the conversation with the 88 year-old is informative and rewarding.

I will pray for increased energy levels for all of us. I hope it is in the cards!

Bill

College Research Paper said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.