Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ethically Sleeping

I am off to an accounting seminar. In Oregon we are on a two year licensing cycle. My license expires June 30, 2010. During the two year period that began on July 1, 2008 I am required to have eighty hours of education. Yup, we are required to have more continuing education than doctors or lawyers. Seems excessive to me. So that you don't put all your education in one twelve month period you have to have a minimum of twenty-four hours in any twelve month period. I took twenty-four hours in the period that ended June 30, 2009. That means fifty-six freaking hours of continuing from July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010. After today I will have twenty-four hours to go. Three more boring days. In additon during the two year period four of those eighty hours are required to be in ethics. Today's class it titled "Cases in Corporate Ethics - Discussion Of Real Life Conflicts." Do you think it is ethical to sleep through an ethics seminar? Also what do you think of class titles that are longer than War And Peace? I'm anxiously awaiting your answers.

Not to long ago I posted on Facebook about how much I disliked doing laundry. I disliked doing laundry so much that I had waited a couple of weeks before tackling the task and had just completed doing six loads of laundry. I came to the conclusion that if I won the lottery I would no longer do laundry, I would just buy new clothes every week. That was before I discovered some sterling advise about laundry on the Internet. Read the new way to do laundry here:

http://www.shelterpop.com/2010/05/19/the-changing-world-of-laundry-detergents/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shelterpop.com%2F2010%2F05%2F19%2Fthe-changing-world-of-laundry-detergents%2F

Are you going to change the way you clean your clothes? Off to the seminar for a morning of ethical sleeping

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's Who Am I was Rachael Carson.

Born in 1832 in Ohio and died in Washington D.C. in 1892. I was the daughter of a Presbyterian Minister and a homemaker. I was one of three sisters. As a young girl I attended the college where my father taught. There I fell in love with Ben. In 1853 I graduated from Oxford Female Institute with a degree in music. While at the college I developed a love for English Literature, drama, music, art and painting. After graduation I stayed at the college and taught music, home economics and painting to students. In 1853 I married Ben and we had one son and two daughters together but one daughter was stillborn. My husband went on to be head honcho of the country. His residence in the big white house lasted longer than I did as I died after three years a being the first lady of the land. Some regard me as the most underrated first woman of that house. I was devoted to women's rights. I only agreed to assist John Hopkins raise money to start a medical school on the condition they must admit women. I became president of the newly formed DAR and was the first, first lady of the land to give the first recorded speech at the first congress of the DAR. In my job as first woman I urged the American public to support their country by "buying American." My love of painting translated into my painting the House china and also into painting an orchid print made available to the women and girls of America. I brought in the first Christmas tree to the famous House. I was deeply respected for my warmth, intelligence and artistic talent and for my devotion to my family and to my beliefs. During the country's centennial celebrations I became ill with tuberculosis and depression and died four months before my husband's's term ended. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I think it's ethical to sleep through an ethics seminar if:
1) You are ethical in the first place,
2) You are in the back of the class and unobserved, and
3) If you don't snore.

I don't mind long class titles or book subtitles if they are informative.

Sorry you have to attend so many boring seminars. I hope they are valuable for some people.

I use Arm & Hammer powder detergent and am perfectly happy with it, but those balls do sound intriguing.

William J. said...

Hi Pat:

I think I am good to go.

1. Ethical most of the time.

2. Always. Usually closest to the bathroom and a quick exit.

3. Not that I know of.

The long titles kind of frustrate me because I think they are waste of words. Like this class would have been fine with the title "Corporate Ethic."

Most of us accountants go to seminars because we have to not because we want to, in my case I've been around so long that usually I know most of the information they give in the seminar.

The balls did sound intriguing.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Bummer on yet another seminar. I know how much you enjoy most of them (s). Don't you usually take a good book?

As to detergents, I've used Surf for years and am perfectly happy with it. Laundry isn't my favorite thing, but I'm not at all sure any of these products reduce the sort, wash, transfer, dry, fold, iron issues. I think the only resolution to these is to get a wife, something I've wanted for many, many years.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Today a book by J.A. Jance and a writing tablet to write during my waking moments!

Bill