Thursday, May 20, 2010

Waiting In Style

I'm a little late today. I took my car to the car doctor early this morning then it was wait, wait, wait. About four hours worth of waiting. I spent some time reading the follow-up to PRESUMED INNOCENT, titled INNOCENT, both of course being written by Scott Turow. I also went for a nice walk. Had breakfast. Made a few calls. Then after I got the car back in good health I went to a lunch appointment. How do survive a four hour wait?

Speaking of reading, what is the longest you have waited to return a library book? Can you beat the record mentioned in the following article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100520/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_book_library_washington

That's all for today.

Yesterday's answer was Belle Starr, also known as Myra Maybelle Shirley

Today's Who Am I?

I was the eldest of six children born in 1852 in Missouri. I died in South Dakota in 1903 and asked to be born next to the only man I ever loved, Wild Bill. My mother died in 1866, We then moved to Utah where my dad died in 1867. I became the head of the family and moved us to Wyoming. I had no formal education but set myself apart from other women because I could work and socialize with tough frontier men. From digging gold to drinking in bars to dressing and cussing like man I was better than the tough guys and they accepted me. I became an expert horse rider as a very young belle. I was considered a remarkable good shot and a fearless rider. I was described both as extremely attractive and as a pretty, dark-eyed woman. I joined General Custer or General Cook as a scout and went to Arizona for the Indian Campaign. Here I started dressing like a man. While in Arizona, in the winter of 1871, I had a great many adventures with the Indians, for as a scout I had a great many dangerous missions to perform and, while I was in many close places, I always succeeded in getting away safely, for by this time I was considered the most reckless and daring rider and one of the best shots in the western country. I knew both the Buffalo and The Wild Bills. I road to Fort Laramie then on to Deadwood. During the month of June, I acted as a pony express rider carrying the U.S. mail between Deadwood and Custer, a distance of fifty miles, over one of the roughest trails in the Black Hills country. As many of the riders before me had been held up and robbed of their packages, mail and money that they carried, for that was the only means of getting mail and money between these points. It was considered the most dangerous route in the Hills, but as my reputation as a rider and quick shot was well known, I was molested very little, for the toll gatherers looked on me as being a good fellow, and they knew that I never missed my mark. I made the round trip every two days which was considered pretty good riding in that country. I remained around Deadwood all that summer visiting all the camps within an area of one hundred miles. My friend, Wild Bill, remained in Deadwood during the summer with the exception of occasional visits to the camps. I remained in the Deadwood area locating claims and going from camp to camp. One morning in the spring of 1877, I rode toward Crook City. I had gone about twelve miles out when I met the overland mail running from Cheyenne to Deadwood. Upon looking closely I saw they were pursued by Indians. The horses ran to the barn as was their custom. As the horses stopped I rode along side of the coach and found the driver lying face downwards in the boot of the stage, he having been shot by the Indians. When the stage got to the station the Indians hid in the bushes. I immediately removed all baggage from the coach except the mail. I then took the driver's seat and with all haste drove to Deadwood, carrying six passengers and the dead driver. I later went to Rapid City to pan for gold. After that, I went to Fort Pierre, driving wagon trains from Rapid city to the fort, and from Fort Pierce to Sturgis. I was married at thirty-three but not to Wild Bill. I had a daughter in 1887. Late in my career I did shows being billed as the "heroine of a thousand thrilling adventures." Who Am I? Real name too please.

8 comments:

redwhistle said...

Scott Turow was on The Charlie Rose show last night (rerun today). An interesting interview. You can go to The Charlie Rose Show or PBS to see the interview - thot you might be interested.

William J. said...

RED!!!

Good to see you and thank you! I will check it out.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Must have been the day for cars -- took mine in this afternoon for the 75K checkup at CarMax (who takes very good care of us) and told them I was getting ready to head out on a 1200 mile trip, along, and wanted to be sure all was well. Fortunately, I was out in a bit over two hours, even though they decided to do some adjustments to the rear brakes. Not only was I assured the car was in top shape for the trip and in better shape than a lot of newer cars they saw, when I jokingly remarked it needed to last another three years, until the Hurricane was paid for, Joe told me he didn't make any guarantees, but with the care the car receives, he figures it's good for the three years and probably longer.

Surviving waits... depends on the wait. When I take my car in, I usually take a ms with me and they give me an empty office, so I can work while I wait. Other long waits, depending on venue, call for a book (unless there's a TV blaring), a walk, if I know I won't be needed, crocheting or knitting projects. I rarely head to a doctor's office or lab tests without some handwork (they always have TVs going).

I sure can't been Washington's record on the book return! I think the longest I've had one out is maybe a week or two over the due date. Since the library sends email remainders and the option to renew online, being overdue is a thing of the past (g)

dona said...

Not just the day for cars, but maybe the week? As we intend to take ours in tomorrow. Usual oil check but still hearing some odd noises since the nearly 2 month repair after wreck. :(

Ahh, the waiting game. Hurry up and wait, we call it. Our doc visit is usually the longest. Record wait, 4 hours just to get into the "room". But in his defense..it is well worth it, he is a great doc. So depending on the wait, we usually walk, talk, if a good show is on a TV that is on, maybe watch it.(rare) Other wise we have a couple games we carry with us everywhere we use for memory/concentration/brain training, so they come in handy a lot.

Library returns? Can't match Washington's record either, maybe a few days, tops.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Mine was the 65K checkup not to mention the engine light being on. The checkup was down quickly finding the little sensor that was causing the engine light was a different story!

I have no doubt that your car is in better shape than a 110% of the people that have Hurricane.

It looks like we all have a game plan for when we go somewhere where we know we are in a for a wait.

I confess that I haven't had a book returned late to the library since high school.

Bill

Pat said...

It sure was the day for cars! I had to get mine smogged and a couple of little things fixed. They turned out to be big things, and I've now spent more on the car in one day than it's worth on the open market. I've been planning to buy another for some time, and this will teach me to put things off! Guess I'll drive it another year. Sigh.

My mechanic picks me up and drives me home, so the wait isn't really a wait, only a day stuck at home. The very idea of a 4 hour wait sets my teeth on edge, and I'd never do that unless I was forced into it. I might pick a place downtown and go to a movie or something if I had to wait anywhere near that long. I always take a book, but 4 hours? No way!

I've been late with library books, but sure can't compete with George Washington's record!

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Wow we are all taking care of our cars! We are all so responsible!

Taking games along is a very creative way to wait. It must be a heck of a doctor to wait that long for him.

Another good person avoidin library fines!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Wow that makes three of us in different cities that we taking care of our cars!!

Ouch, how awful they little things turned out to be big things. That is just annoying. I do understanding waiting to buy a car because I do the same darn thing.

This will shock you but the dealership will give me a ride home too but I just prefer to wait and do things. The dealership is near department stores and restaurants.

I'm relieved that nobody here beat Washington's record.

Bill