Sunday, May 23, 2010

The One Thing I Won't Give A Second Chance For.

Since it is a day of rest there is no Who Am I today. Isabella Marie Boyd, also known as Cleopatra of the Secession, was yesterday's answer.

I didn't attend my high school prom. I was to shy to ask anyone out and the women that liked me were to shy to ask me. Sort of like it is now. However, thanks to the brilliant writing of Oregonian columnist Steve Duin I feel like I've been to a prom. Read this heartwarming story here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2010/05/rosemary_anderson_high_schools.html

Synply is a blog member that doesn't visit the blog much because she has a full-time job, is attending college full time, and takes care of her daughter with special needs. She visited the blog yesterday. If you want to see some great pictures of her daughter's graduation check out her blog:

http://symplyamused.blogspot.com/

My last week was as follows:

Monday I took Mom and the caregiver to a movie. We went to "Letters From Juliet." It was the ultimate chick flick, well acted, good story. Mom really enjoyed it. The caregiver spent most of the movie, much to my tremendous irritation, answering calls to her cell phone. I am a big believer in second chances both in dating and in regular life. There is almost nothing someone could to do me without me hanging in there and giving them a second chance. We all make mistakes. However, there is one thing that I will absolutely not forgive and that is answering your phone during a movie. We won't ask her to join us again when we go to the movie.

Tuesday, was an accounting seminar that I actually enjoyed. It helped that I knew the instructor. Oregon has a requirement for accountants that if you do financial statements then once a year another accountant has to look over your work. It is called "Peer Review." When I had to have a review done Brent, the instructor at the seminar, did my review. With one or two really minor exceptions he gave me a clean review.

Thursday it was the car doctor, Friday it was a leaking roof, and Saturday it was lunch with Mom.

On next week's agenda: Monday minor foot surgery, Tuesday another accounting seminar, Wednesday lunch with Mom. Thursday and Friday I hope to do some intense writing. Saturday is a night at Mom's.

The entertainment update this week:

On the Celebrity Apprentice the two finalists are Holly Robinson and Brett Michaels. Because of the battles that Michaels has been fighting, a brain aneurysm followed by a minor stroke, I really want him to win but I'm afraid it will be Holly. She is just one heck of a strong player.

On Dancing With The Stars the three finalists are the Pusssycat Doll, Nicole; The Olympic gold medalist figure skater, Evan; and the ESPN sports reporter. Erin. The quality of the dancing on the Semi-Finals was absolutely amazing and I kind of think anyone of these three would have won most previous seasons of DWTS. As for this year Nicole is the best dancer and based on that probably should be the champ but I really want Erin to win. I want Erin to win because she has just had a bad year and deserves something good to happen to her. She is also the most improved of the three. What happened to Erin? First, there was the stalker that took nude pictures of her through a hole in a wall in her hotel room and posted them on the Internet. He is now where he deserves to be, jail. Then she has been receiving death threats every week during this season. Also she was lambasted by a talk show hostess, who later apologized, for the costumes she was wearing. The hostess basically said the stalker could have seen less if he would have just waited six months and watched her on DWTS. Thankfully the hostess saw the error in making fun of stalking and called Erin to apologize. Still it is out there. That is why I am rooting for Erin.

OK, you all know the drill. What is going on in your life? Tell me all about it, your joys, your concerns, vent if you so desire, what your friends and kids are up to, or just write anything you damn well please. In addition if you are new to the blog or haven't posted before this would be a good day to introduce yourself. Good new friends my be awaiting for you!

8 comments:

Lady DR said...

Oh, Bill, what a heartwarming story about the prom. One of the standout statements was that the kids decided they didn't want to be considered castoffs anymore. How wonderful the community stepped in to give them a special night.

Simply, great pictures, cute kidlet. I'll bet you're proud as punch.

Bill, as to cell phones... I'm in total agreement. Unless you're anticipating an emergency call, I think cell phones should be off at any entertainment venue (and a lot of other places, as well). I also think if you do get a call, you should leave the area to respond to it, so others aren't distracted by the talking. I think the theaters and cinemas here have signs stating cell phones must be turned off during any movie or performance. Minor foot surgery? 'Splain?

My week... Himself was at his brother's ranch all week, due home this evening (YEA!) The projects I originally had lined up couldn't be done, with the restrictions on movement. I did give up on the painting, but finally decided, if I'm going to hurt anyway, I'm going to get some stuff done! Got the bedding plants in the front garden and the rest of the "fairy lights" in out there. Planted some stuff in the landscape garden. My office is decluttered, including most of the paperwork and magazines. My house is cleaner than it's been since this mess with my left side started - boy, does that feel good! Did the pool three days, got blood tests for app't with doc tomorrow, line dancing with rest periods, spent Thursday at car doctor, as you did. Had lunch with my former guitar teacher, whom I hadn't seen in months. Trying to rearrange office, still. Not sure I'm happy yet. One of those cases where a solution creates another problem - umm, challenge. A little bit of editing.

Next week, I see the internist Monday, chiro on Tuesday, go back to work, dealing with the "true crime" ms that looks pretty unpromising, given what little I read while waiting for the car.

Oh, talked with Maryanne and she said that Friday, for the first time, changing the dressing wasn't an exercise in extreme pain, so she's encouraged. Even thinking about putting her jewelry in a craft show next weekend.

Dona, how are you guys getting along?

William J. said...

Hi DR

The minor surgery really should be a minor procedure but they call it surgery and I basically just can't do excessive walking that day. They do it two to three times a year. It is a result of the accident leaving the left foot partially paralyzed and on the big toe the nail grow incorrectly and into the toe. So they get it out of the toe.

At the movie before the previews started there was at least five warnings to shut off your cell phone. I guess the caregiver didn't think that meant her.

Did you enjoy your week as a bacherolette? It sounds like you made great progress despite the limited movement! Great job on the office and the paperwork!!

Let us know how your appointment comes out tomorrow.

I always liked true crime but I guess your client isn't as good as Jack Olsen!

Glady Maryanne is still improving and she is still in my prayers!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Relieved to hear the "surgery" is kind of a standard procedure for you. Hope it's not painful?

Amazing how many people think the "cell phones off" notices don't apply to them. Sigh.

Usually I enjoy my bachlorette times, whether a day or a week, but I think not so much this time, because I couldn't do what I'd planned. Still, I made progress in some areas and I didn't do but a few hours of editorial. I need to learn how to take time off (wry s).

I think my client has never read a true crime book in his life, from what I've seen so far. He's a retired court reporter and his book reads like a transcript, with a lot of repetition, so far. I checked half a dozen books out of the library, just to be sure I wasn't off base. I'm not.

Tomorrow's app't is just a standard six-month check, although I'm sure she'll ask about how the pain on the left side is, since she's the one who ordered the bone scan. The lab results aren't much different from six months ago and sh wasn't concerned about any of them at that time, so it'll likely be the standard 15 minute "Hi, how're you feeling, let me refill these prescriptions, see you in 6 mo."

William J. said...

Hi DR

The surgery is one of those things that is painful as heck at the time but feels so darn much better afterwards!

I think all of us here can learn to take time off!

I think probably the two best true crime books that I have read ar Salt Of The Earth by Jack Olsen and Dead By Sunset by Ann Rule.

It will be see, "see you in six months" and then you will be getting bills for six months until the next appointment.

Bill

redwhistle said...

Here's to a successfully surgery Bill..be thinking of you on Monday.

Pat said...

Bill, if your "minor" surgery is like the one for ingrown toenails, I have to say that's one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. I hope yours isn't like that.

Symply, great photos! Everybody looks very happy.

Cell phones should absolutely be turned off in any theatrical venue. I'd have told the caregiver in no uncertain terms, and I'm surprised other patrons didn't.

William J. said...

Hi Red

Thanks! It really is a minor procedure. I will be back to mean within a couple of hours!!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That's exactly what it is like. But with limited circulation and feeling not as painful as it would be for you.

It was the first showing on a week day so there were only about ten people in the theater, we were way in the back where the wheelchairs go so the only person really being disturbed by the phone calls was me. For me that was enough. Never again.

Bill