Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is not only a day for us to remember our soldiers but it also a day to remember those close to us that we have lost. Not an all inclusive list of remembrance but I would definitely like to remember Grandpa Goldy, Grandma Nanny, Dad, 14 year-old cousin Debbie; My Aunts Augusta, Emily, Nola, Ella, Clara; and all the relatives and friends that have touched me life. Who is on your remembrance list?

On to another subject. What percentage of income do you think that people that make less than $13K a year spend on the lottery? My guess was off, read the whys and wherefores here:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/05/31/poor-people-spend-9-of-income-on-lottery-tickets-heres-why/

That is all today. Tell me how you are celebrating and who you are remembering. Inquiring minds want to know. And tell me if the lottery article surprises you.

WHO AM I?

I am one of the least well-known people ever featured in the Who Am I's but I am something the others weren't. Bill's mother is my first cousin and his brother's first name is the same as my middle name. He was named after me. I am one of less than five hundred soldiers to win both the Navy Cross and The Silver Star. I was mentioned in the book and movie "They Were Expendable" and am buried in Arlington. A PT Boat that was harbored for years in the Long Beach, California harbor was named after me. I was born August 20, 1915 to Arthur and Sarah. I attended a State College before entering the Naval Academy. After graduating at Annapolis I entered active service in 1937. Before the war started in 1939 I married Helen Ris at Stanford University. I was sent overseas in August of 1941. On January 30, 1942, the Lead Daily Call reported, “I, a lieutenant junior grade, from Springfield, S.D., returned with ten naval men from a perilous mission behind the Japanese lines on the Bataan peninsula on the night of January 18, accomplished our mission and then found ourselves faced with the job of returning individually to our base.” The article goes on to say that while trying to get back to base, I encountered a native with a bayoneted rifle. After a moment of startled silence, the native spoke first, saying, “Hello, Joe,” Which were the sweetest words I ever heard. On September 25, 1947, the Navy Department wrote to my wife and the letter said, in part:

It is with deepest regret you are now informed that information has been
received showing that your husband was killed in the garden of Lie Boen
Yat, Saris Manado, the Celebes on 2 July 1942. According to evidence
received … your husband, together with a fellow officer, was attempting
to escape from Mindanao Island, Philippine Islands, in a native boat. They
were captured on the Island of Bangka, North Celebes, and were taken by
the Japanese to Manado, where they were executed and buried in a common

When I was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross, this is the official announcement:

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Lieutenant of the United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service in the line of his profession while Commanding Motor Torpedo Boat THIRTY-ONE (PT-31), (Code Name Trabejdor), Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron THREE (MTB-3), in action against the enemy from 25 February 1942 through 10 April 1942, in the Philippine Islands. While exposed to frequent horizontal and dive bombing attacks by enemy Japanese air forces, Lieutenant directed the anti-aircraft battery of his ship and conducted operations of strategic importance in the Manila Bay area involving hazardous missions such as to bring great credit to his command and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country. Action Date: February 25 - April 10, 1942 Service: Navy Rank: Lieutenant. Company: Commanding Officer. Regiment: Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3 (MTB-3). Division: Motor Torpedo Boat 31 (PT-31).

When I was posthumously awarded the Silver Star , this is the official announcement:

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Lieutenant (NSN: 0-27903), United States Navy, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while Commanding Motor Torpedo Boat THIRTY-ONE (PT-31),(Code Name Trabejdor), Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron THREE (MTB-3), in action against the enemy while participating in a raid on 20 January 1942, in the Philippine Islands. Having grounded in Subic Bay as a result of engine failure due to gasoline sabotage, Lieutenant directed the transportation of his crew by night, through reef-studded water to the enemy shore, then, to prevent his vessel from falling into enemy hands, he destroyed the boat and torpedoes aboard and swam ashore. He and his party, armed only with three .45-caliber pistols, proceeded to a village, avoiding the enemy offensive against that village, and with Japanese soldiers within 200 yards of the beach, embarked in two bancas and made good their escape. When the bancas capsized in heavy seas and wind, with the men exhausted, Lieutenant by his capable leadership, righted the bancas and so encouraged his men that without the aid of paddles or sails and by the use of boards alone, they continued to a point where they disembarked safely. Lieutenant's gallant actions and intrepid leadership were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. General Orders: Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin No. 311 (February 1943.) Action Date: 20-Jan-42 Service: Navy Rank: Lieutenant Company: Commanding Officer Regiment: Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3 (MTB-3) Division: Motor Torpedo Boat 31 (PT-31). Who Am I?

10 comments:

Pat said...

The Lottery article doesn't surprise me. I know it's a scam that affects the poor more than others. When the scramble for enough money is uppermost in your mind, I suppose hope springs eternal.

At my age, there are entirely too many people to try to remember on one day. I remember many from time to time, without a holiday to inspire me.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The last line is an important thing to remember, we don't need a holiday to remember our loved ones. It's just seems that a lot of us wait for a holiday to do so.

Bill

Pat said...

Oh, and a PS: If you want a truly affecting movie experience that honors one Marine representing all who have had their lives taken in the service, see TAKING CHANCE. I saw it last night, and learned things I didn't know about how the services honor the fallen. Have Kleenex handy.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for the Tip. I always have tissues handy when I watch anything military related.

Bill

Lady DR said...

First of all, I've got a problem with the guy's math. Actually, I'd guessed 10%. However, if you're making $13K/year and you spend $645 a year, you're spending 5% of your income, according to my calculations.
Maybe I missed something. Regardless, it's a chunk of money that could probably be better spent. I do agree with some of his reasons, particularly the one that they may feel like they're at least doing something to make their dreams come true. Here, of course, the big "tug" is that you're contributing to education with every ticket you buy.

So many people to remember... Nana and Grandpa Ray, Great Grandad, Daddy, my first husband, my two b-i-ls. I've been fortunate, in that there are so many wonderful people who've touched my life, even if only briefly.

Celebrating? Uh... I worked, since I'm going to play tomorrow and Wednesday. 'Sides, we had rain and thunderstorms up until half an hour ago. The guys showed up and it was pouring. Well, they could put up the gutters in the rain. Al said he didn't think that was a good idea, with the thunder and all. Then they realized they couldn't put the gutters up, because they couldn't caulk in the rain and there was no place to paint the ones that still needed it. The closing argument was when lightening struck in the woods at the corner of our property.

Pat said...

DR, good on you for the math; I didn't think to check it, but you're right. It's still pretty much a scam, but hey, once in a while, somebody does win big.

As for the money going to schools, that's what I thought back when I bought Lottery tickets. Then I found that what they got in the Lottery hand, they took away from the other hand, so it was technically a wash. The teachers still liked the Lottery money, because it could be used for stuff they considered useful, not allocated to administration. But still, it wasn't *extra* money, so I considered we'd been lied to. Perhaps it's different where you live.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Heck, I'm an accountant and I didn't catch the math error! $645 is a lot of groceries.

We've both been fortunate to have a lot of people and good people that have touched out lives.

We had our bbq yesterday and celebrated then. Hope the thunderstorms have subsided!
I would have been gone before the lightening hit, I am slacker.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Here it depends on what lottery you play, the national lotteries like Powerball and Mega Millions have pretty high adminstrative costs but the local lotteries are very efficient and their profits go to an economic development funt which schools are apart of. Without lottery funds a lot of schools would have closed.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Pat, I think SC is a lot like CA, in terms of what comes in from the lottery is offset by what they pull out of the budget, but they don't tell you that in the ads.

As to the math... thank Daddy for that. He taught me to use "round numbers" and calculate from there. Ergo, when the guy said 13K and 9%, I immediately went to 10% of 13K and realized the 645 was about half that.

Much as I disliked math, Daddy's logic has been invaluable. One time, we were applying for a mortgage in FL. I knew what the am't to be financed was and the interest rate and the length of the loan, so it was pretty easy to take it all to "easy" round numbers (like 100K x 10% x 30 years), then knock off the difference in the percentage. While the loan guy was doing all kinds of things on his calculator, I said, "So the monthly payment will be about $X, plus escrow for insurance?" The guy kept punching in numbers, then looked up at Himself and said, "How the h*ll did she do that?" Al just grinned and said, "I have no idea, but she's usually right." I was off by $3/mo (G) Except for ethics, compassion and morals, teaching me math, "his way," may have been one of the biggest favors Daddy ever did.

William J. said...

Hi DR

There is no doubt that your dad did you a huge favor! I would have loved to see the look on the loan officer's face!

My sister and mom are stunned the way I total the score when we play Yahtze, I add both columns at once. I don't do the one column carryover thing.

Bill