Monday, May 17, 2010

Open Season

I was stunned by the information in Steve Duin's column in yesterday's Oregonian. You can read his column here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2010/05/no_us_action_on_deaths_in_equa.html

According to the column it is open season on Americans living abroad. Americans are murdered and their deaths are never investigated. A government official is quoted in the article as saying:

"You can murder an American and nothing will be done about it. It's our national policy not to get involved when people die."

In another quote in the article, this one being from a state department employee:

"In cases of homicide not related to terrorism, the FBI or another investigative U.S. body may only become involved at the request of the host government."

I am to stunned for many words. I will just say the French have this one right, we have this one wrong. Comments are appreciated.

Today's Who Am I:

Born in 1797 in New York, I died in 1883 in Michigan. I was born into slavery to a Colonel. I wase was one of 13 children. I spoke only Dutch until I was sold from my family around the age of nine. Because of the cruel treatment I suffered at the hands of a later master, I learned to speak English quickly but with a Dutch accent. I was first sold around age 9 when my second master died,I was sold along with a herd of sheep for $100. It was during one beating when I began to find refuge in religion -- praying aloud when scared or hurt. Sometime around 1815 I fell in love with a fellow slave. His owner forbade the relationship because he did not want his slave having children with a slave he did not own. One night he visited me but was followed by his owner and son, who beat him savagely, bound him and dragged him away. He never returned. I had a daughter shortly thereafter. I was later forced by my owner to marry an older slave, we had four children. I escaped from an owner when he broke a promise to me. My infant daughter and I ended up with a nice couple that told me to call them by their names. I began devotedly attending the local Methodist church with a white teacher. I quickly became known as a remarkable preacher whose influence "was miraculous." I was wrongly accused of stealing eventually settling in New York. I had lost what savings and possessions I had. I resolved to leave and make my way as a traveling preacher. In 1843 I changed my name. That is the truth.
I settled with a grouo that were strongly anti-slavery, religiously tolerant, women's rights supporters, and pacifist in principles. While there I met Lloyd, Bill, and Frederick. I later became involved with the popular Spiritualism religious movement of the time, an offshoot of the Quakers. They believed in abolition, women's rights, non-violence, and communicating with spirits. During the Civil War I spoke on the Union's behalf, as well as for enlisting black troops for the cause and freeing slaves. In 1864 I worked among freed slaves at a government refugee camp on an island in Virginia and was employed by the National Freedman's Relief Association in Washington, D.C. I met President Abraham Lincoln in October. After the Civil War ended I continued working to help the newly freed slaves through the Freedman's Relief Association, then the Freedman's Hospital in Washington. In 1870 I began campaigning for the federal government to provide former slaves with land in the "new West." I pursued this for seven years, with little success. In 1879 I was delighted as many freed slaves began migrating west and north on their own, many settling in Kansas. I spent a year there helping refugees and speaking in white and black churches trying to gain support for the "Exodusters" as they tried to build new lives for themselves. This was my last mission. In 1890 Frances, who published the third edition of my narrative, became my traveling companion. A portion of a highway in Michigan is named after me. I was inducted in to the Woman's Hall Of Fame in 1981. I had a commemorative postage stamp in 1986. I am the First Black Woman Honored with a Bust in the U.S. Capitol (October, 2008). Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I can't say I'm stunned by the article. In fact, I have wondered whether the US gov't gets involved when an American citizen is a victim of serious crime abroad. My gut feeling has been that you're probably on your own, and apparently that's true if you're not somehow in the public eye.

It seems terrible, yes, but practically speaking, what might the gov't do? Can we afford to send some major crime-busting team to investigate what was probably a street crime? I wonder, if the murder was linked to a drug cartel, would our response be different? Still, I would think we should mount some kind of diplomatic pressure so that the authorities where the crime was committed will work hard at solving it. That's the least we should do.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

If I understood the article right the other countries aren't even investigating the deaths, they just let them go. So there is never any closure of the family. I think at minimum we have to put pressure on the other governments to investigage the crimes and offer what help we can.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I guess my reaction is appalled but not surprised. Like Pat, what can be done? OTOH, at least the French show some interest in the murder of one of their citizens. And if we don't investigate, or demand some sort of investigative results from the country where the crime took place, why should they care if one more American dies?

I think what bothers me most is that so many countries don't attach a great deal of importance to life of their people. Are we now becoming one of those countries? If a politician, diplomat, rock star or such had been killed, you can bet it would be all over the media and an investigation would be demanded by our government. IF it's John or Jane Brown, not so much interest, ho-hum? How do we know neither of the individuals may have had drug or terrorist interests they were investigating?

Then again, we have so many unsolved murders in our own country, some through lack of interest because it was an unknown person, drive-by shooting, bad neighborhood, assumed to be drug related, some because we simply don't have the police manpower to handle the situation.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I just think we can do more. Pressure from the White House Staff or The Department of Justice.

Do I ever agree with you that so many countries don't value life or someone else life, that is.

It is shocking how many unsolved murders there are in the U.S.

Bill