Friday, May 21, 2010

Waitress Day

Today is waitress day. Two stories about waitress kind of stood out in my research. The first is about a waitress that was fired for a Facebook posting. Here is the article:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/05/19/facebook-post-leads-to-waitress-firing/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl4|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fjobs.aol.com%2Farticles%2F2010%2F05%2F19%2Ffacebook-post-leads-to-waitress-firing%2F

I don't think this waitress should have been fired at all. I'm one of those that thinks that food servers have one tremendously hard job. I also know from my occupation that waitress pay tax on eight per-cent of the total amount of business that they bill. That eight per cent is added right to their W-2 form. I also know the more people that they turnover per table the more tips they make. I would never in this lifetime sit at a table for three hours. And if I did the tip would definitely allow for that. In addition I just seem to be one of those guys that waitresses and waiters play to. I either look like an easy mark or a nice guy. "This table is just fun to serve." "Please come back, it was so enjoyable to see you." and so on. I know it is a bunch of crap but it makes me feel good so I tip well. The only time I drawback on tips is when the food server is rude or if they give me something that I didn't order and argue about it. I definitely think this waitress had the right to vent on Facebook and unless she mentioned the customers names, which I don't think she did, she never should she have been fired.

Now on to the next story. The closest Hooters here closed due to lack of business. Says a lot for the community, doesn't it? The only reason I ever went there was for business lunches and only because the married men clients wanted to go there. The single men clients wanted to go elsewhere, to where the food was better. Single men wanted food, married wanted? No more words, tell me what you think of the following story:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/offbeat/130-lb-hooters-waitress-told-to-lose-weight-to-keep-job-051810

That woman is beautiful, she certainly doesn't need to lose weight in my opinion. I'm also guessing that the manager, if it is man, needs to lose a hell of lot more weight than she does.

Should have the waitress been fired for her Facebook posting? Should the waitress at Hooters be fired if she doesn't loss weight?


Yesterday's Who Am I was Calamity Jane whose real name was Martha Jane Cannary Burke

I was born in 1904 in The Bronx and died in Connecticut in 1971. My father was an inventor and engineer that believed in equality in education and opportunity for all of his children. My mom died while attending college. I was married twice, the first when I was eighteen. The next marriage was in 1939 to a writer but we divorced in 1942. I pursued a degree in Herpetology at several colleges including Columbia, Michigan, Purdue, Indiana, and Western Reserve University. I received my degree in 1927 from Cornell. I studied photography as a hobby while a very young woman. I developed the styles and techniques that I needed for various formats on my own. My father was also somewhat of a camera enthusiast and he exposed me to the wonders of the photographic lens as a youngster. I was a woman of many firsts. I was a forerunner in the newly emerging field of photojournalism, and was the first female to be hired as such. I was the first photographer for a well known financial magazine. I was the first Western photographer allowed into the Soviet Union. I was the first female photojournalist for Life magazine. I was the first female war correspondent and the first to be allowed to work in combat zones during World War II, and one of the first photographers to enter and document the death camps. I made history with the publication my her haunting photos of the Depression. I wrote six books about my international travels. I was the premiere female industrial photographer, getting her at a Steel Company around 1927. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Geez, as if being a waitress wasn't hard enough. I've worked as a cocktail waitress. My middle sister paid most of her college expenses working as a waitress. My niece did the same. My b-i-l was a waiter (and made more in tips than most folks make on salary. I know whereof I speak.

Should the gall have been fired for the Facebook posting... probably not, particularly if she immediately removed it, with an apology for the original posting. If she hadn't listed the restaurant, I doubt anything would have come of it. The employers may have needed to create an example, for the sake of the restaurant. Had she left out the name of the place, she could have educated a lot of people to just what it means when folks are rude to servers, take up a table for hours, then leave an insulting tip. Yes, I've occasionally lingered a couple hours or so over lunch with a good friend. However, I've also left a substantial tip, to make up for the fact another meal might have been served during that time. It also depends on whether or not the restaurant is crowded. Not all restaurants require a waitress to remain past her shift, just because she still has someone at a table. Sometimes, a waitress may say she's going off shift and ask if the customer would like anything else or if she can bring the bill. Like you, the tip generally depends on the service and the attitude of the wait person. If both are good, I go over the average 20%. If both are lousy, the tip reflects that as well.

As to the gal at Hooters -- that's basically nuts. She got a sterling review. The picture indicates she certainly fills out the uniform quite nicely. At her height, her weight is certainly not out of line, probably considered "low" on the standard charts. Hooters is built almost entirely around the sex appeal of their waitresses, which I find to be a shame, but there you have it. The demand she lose weight is entirely unreasonable, IMHO, and if she loses her job, I'd think she'd have grounds for a suit against the employers for discrimination. Unless they provide standard "requirements" for height and weight for all their waitresses, it would seem she's being singled out in some way. Quite frankly, I probably know a hundred women, if not more, who'd kill to have her figure.

Pat said...

I also do not think the waitress should have been fired. She was not entirely smart in putting the name of the restaurant in her Facebook update, but I'd think a reprimand would have been in order, plus deleting the posting. I have many times seen a server say they were going off shift and could we settle up early. The restaurant should allow for that.

However, it just points up that people should beware of Facebook in many ways. I just read that a lot of serious computer geeks are canceling their accounts because of the way FB handles privacy issues. They need to shape up.

If the photo is a true representation, the Hooter's waitress is every man's dream, and to fire her for weight would be not only stupid but criminal, and if it happens, I hope she does sue.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I thought you might have worked as a waitress before. And it is a damn hard job.

I just believe in second chances and think the Facebook waitress should have been written up and warned but not fired. She was pretty young and probably really didn't know that it was kind of unethical to mention the name of the restaurant. You are right she could have educated a ton of people had she been a little more careful.

Heck I wouldn't mind having the figure that the waitress at Hooters has!

Not only all their waitress (usually women) and their managers (usuallay overweight men) have to have the same requirements re weight since they are both in the public, if they don't require it both sexes they have a major lawsuit.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm with a reprimand not a firing. And of course deleting the post and a warning should she do it again. I just don't worry about privacy issues if something comes up I'll delete Facebook and start over, short of that I am not losing sleep over their privace policies.

The waitress is beautiful and she is most every man's dream. Not mine, she is way to young for me!

I hope like heck she sues them.

Bill