Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Good & The Guilt

The good:

http://www.aolnews.com/philanthropy/nc/article/proud-mama-oral-lee-brown-sends/1069265?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fphilanthropy%2Fnc%2Farticle%2Fproud-mama-oral-lee-brown-sends%2F1069265

The guilt:

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/05/19/at-burgerville-order-up-a-burger-fries-and-a-guilt-trip/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashfood.com%2F2010%2F05%2F19%2Fat-burgerville-order-up-a-burger-fries-and-a-guilt-trip%2F

Comments about either article are appreciated!



Who Am I?

Yesterday's answer was Margaret Bourke-White.

Born in 1844 in West Virginia and died in Wisconsin at the age of 56. Operating from my father's hotel I provided information to General Jackson during The Civil War. I was the eldest child of some rich folks and as a teenager was a fun-loving debutante. I became a spy strictly by chance when a band of Union army soldiers saw the Confederate flag hung outside my home. They tore it down and hung a Union flag in its place. This made me angry enough, but when one of them cursed at my Mom, I was enraged. I pulled out a pistol and shot the man down. A board of inquiry exonerated me but sentries were posted around the house and officers kept close track of her activities. I profited from this enforced familiarity, charming at least one of the officers into revealing military secrets. "To him," I wrote "I am indebted for some very remarkable effusions, some withered flowers, and a great deal of important information." I conveyed the secrets to Confederate officers via my slave who carried the messages in a hollowed-out watch case. On my first attempt at spying I was caught and told I could be sentenced to death but was not, then I realized I needed to find a better way to communicate. I was not blessed with a pretty face, but a fine body. I was particularly noted for having the best looking ankles known—and I used them to my advantage. I evidently had a "winning way" with the Union troops and was most obliging in taking care of their needs. Then one evening in 1862 a Union General and his staff gathered in the parlor of the local hotel. I hid in the closet in the room, eavesdropping through a knothole I enlarged in the door. I learned that the general had been ordered east from Virginia, a move that would reduce the Union Army's strength at Front Royal. That night I rode through Union lines, using false papers to bluff my way past the sentries, and reported the news to a Confederate scout. When the Confederates advanced on Front Royal, I ran to greet General Stonewall Jackson's men, braving enemy fire that put bullet holes in my skirt. I urged an officer to inform Jackson that "the Yankee force is very small." I said to tell him to charge right down and he will catch them all. Jackson did and that evening penned a note of gratitude to me: "I thank you, for myself and for the army, for the immense service that you have rendered your country today." For my contributions I was awarded the Southern Cross of Honor. Jackson also gave me captain and honorary aide-de-camp positions. After my lover gave me up I was arrested and brought to the Old Capitol Prison in Washington. There was an inquiry concerning violations of orders that I be kept in close custody. I was held for a month before being released. I was later arrested and imprisoned a third but again was set free. I went to England where I met and married a Union naval officer. After the war I became an actress in England before returning to the United States. I divorced the officer and married someone else a year later. I began touring the country giving dramatic lectures of my life as a Civil War spy. While touring I died of a heart attack. Why am I reminded of the woman Cleopatra and the word secession? Answer that question and you can also answer the question, Who Am I?

8 comments:

cd0103 said...

Wow. The first article made me cry and the second one just made me go "What the???"

Thanks for sharing! I thought the statistics on high school graduation rates in the first article were amazing.

Pat said...

The first article is really inspiring. What a woman! The second one is amusing, and maybe not that good for their business. But it reminded me of my childhood, because a big treat at that time was to have lunch at our local "Burgerville" (no connection to the one in the story, and not a chain). They had the cheeseburger by which I have judged all cheeseburgers since. And found all of them wanting. {s}

Lady DR said...

Mama Brown is quite a woman! And her promise obviously motivated those kids. I think it's wonderful the program continues.

As to Burgerville... well, not sure how the practice affects their business, but it could have some positive effects, if it was presented as a "bonus" at various restaurants that served stuff other than fast food. There really are a whole lot of people who have no clue about calories and fat grams in various types of food or even cuts of meat. I don't see it ever happening, of course.

William J. said...

Hi Connie

I loved the first article, I really love it when people make an impact on society.

As to the second article, I won't even look at the receipt if I go to Burgerville!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The woman set a goal and made it work. She is truly amazing.

The fast food version of Burgerville is basically just an Oregon and Washington outfit. They are known for healthy food, Walla Walla onion rings, sweet potato fries, and the best fast food hamburgers here.

If you do viist here I will take you to two places, The Helvetia Tavarn and Burgerville and see if we can compete with your childhood hamburgers!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Mama Brown has made a difference. Just keeping her word was an accomplishment. Like Connie said the graduation rates were amazing. 19 of 23 went on to college, the other class I think one did.

I think Burgerville is embracing its Northwest roots. They really are a good fast food restaurant. I think what may happen is you will see a shift to salads and turkey sandwichs. I'm also guessing because of the way Burgerville cooks their hamburgers and fries they calories will stack up pretty well against their competition.

Bill

SymplyAmused said...

I like the first article, very inspiring : ) As for the second, that's not a bad idea! Eat and feel guilty...wait! we do that anyway : )
Check out my blog for update grad pics of the kidlet! : )

William J. said...

Hi Symply!!!!

Great pictures!!

Bill