Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Box

You barely have enough money to make ends meet. Your husband or wife doesn't make that much money and your income is needed to support you and your young son. You lose your job. The same day you lose your job a mysterious man appears at your door with a magical box and an offer. If you push the button on the box he will give you one million dollars in cash. However, when you push the button someone somewhere in the world that you don't know will die. Would you push the button?

The Box is a film based on the 1970 short story "Button, Button" by Richard Matheson, which was also once the basis for an episode of The Twilight Zone. The film is written and directed by Richard Kelly. The film stars Cameron Diaz and James Marsden but is really stolen by Frank Langella and James Rebhorn with a pretty good performance by the young Sam Oz Stone. The film is really two films in one. The first half of the movie is really good, an emotional struggle of what to do with the box or whether or not the challenge is really a hoax. The last half of the movie is a joke, transferring into a really stupid unbelievable science fiction movie. The movie transcends from the believable to the unbelievable. I would give it one to two stars at the most just for the amazing supporting performances. However, don't waste the money to go to the theater wait for the movie to come out on cable or DVD.

The movie did bring up some moral dilemmas that I find interesting. If you were desperate and had the chance to get a million bucks in cash by killing someone in the world that you didn't know would you do it? No violence necessary, just push a button. Of course all of us here would immediately say no way. Let's change the question a bit.

You push the button one person dies but you can use the money to save many others. Maybe the money will help you find the cure for cancer. One person dies, several people live. Would you push the button then?

Let's change the unknown to the known. You push the button and you know the person that will die and it is someone like Hitler, a serial killer like Bundy, or a child killer like Wesley Alan Dodd. Would you push the button then?

I'm not sure there is any scenario where I would push the button but killing a Hitler would certainly be an attractive option. As would saving millions by sacrificing one person. I just know my conscience would destroy me for the rest of my life. What would you do?

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answer: Mona Van Duyn

I was the first conductor in a venue that wasn't a train. Born in 1924 I grew up in Arkansas. I was a child prodigy and was giving public performances on the violin by the time I was ten. I graduated from high school at the age of fourteen. I graduated from college in at age 20. I won a scholarship as a viola player at Berkshire Music Center in 1946. In 1947 I staged Vaughan Williams' Riders to the Sea. l moved to Boston, Massachusetts in 1952 and became head a university there. In 1957 I started an opera group where I staged a large mix of operas, establishing a reputation for producing difficult works under pressure. I was also known for putting together interesting variations of standard operas. In 1976 I became the first female conductor at the a famous house with La traviata sarring the famous Beverly Sills. In 1996 I received the National Medal of Arts. I was also inducted into the Arkansas Entertainers Hall of Fame. I died at 83 from heart failure. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

It's an interesting question posed by THE BOX. I love Frank Langella, but from your review and the one (worse) in the paper, I'll wait for cable, I think.

What would I do? I can't imagine pushing the button if I thought some unknown person would die. OTOH, while I've been poor enough to not know if I could pay my bills, I've never been really desperate. Would that make a difference? I don't know, but I kind of doubt it.

If I stood to get $1 million and I'd be killing some serial killer or child molester... well, that might color my thinking. {g} Saving millions with the money? How could you be sure that would happen? Yeah, I know it's hypothetical, but even if I knew I could do that, if I didn't know who I'd be killing, I don't think I could do it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think the movie got a 48% at rottentomatoes.com. Not a good rating.

I have been poor enough where I didn't eat for a day or two in college and was to proud to ask my parents for help and even then I don't think I would push the button for a million bucks.

That makes two of us who couldn't do it.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'm with you and Pat. I've had times in my life when I wasn't sure how I'd pay the rent and I lived on peanut butter sandwiches and did my laundry (including sheets) in the bathtub, 'cause I didn't have a quarter for the machines in the basement. I think that's poor, not desperate. Still, pushing a button and killing an unknown person... I'm not sure I'd ever be desperate enough to do that. Now, if I KNEW it was a convicted killer or molester sitting on death row... I'm still not sure. I'm not ready to play God, I guess.

On a totally different subject, Bill, isn't Sis due this weekend or in the next few days? Did you resolve your issues with talking with Mom about attitudes and actions and reactions? Are you more okay with Sis and b-i-l moving in? We're here to support, remember?

William J. said...

Hi DR

At first it was going to be after Thanksgiving but I heard the 18th today. So maybe in eleven days.

I've talked with mom until I am blue in the face but I don't really think it has helped.

Bill

dona said...

I am sure glad you let us know about the movie, I am sure now I will wait for Cable showing.

What would I do?

There is no amount of money in the world for me to do that.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

That was my reaction too. But then I thought if I could do away with a Hitler maybe.

Bill