Monday, November 9, 2009

Torn In To Many Directions.

With Mom and clients the day has been to busy to find time to get my creativie juices flowing and to find any time to post on the blog. Today there won't be any posting. However, thanks to Kaye I do have some brainteasers for you.

Yesterdays answer was Juanita Morris Krebs who overcame property to become Secretary of Commerce. The brainteasers:

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine, it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."

Good luck to you. I did terrible but I didn't use Google. Have you ever felt torn in to many directions? Ever felt like a wishbone there for the pickings?

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

Late checking in and catching up. Bill, thanks for the "happy stories." I enjoyed them.

Last week wasn't "banner" and am hoping for major improvements this week. Monday - The opthomalogist can't get corrected vision up, can't figure out why (everything looks good on retina, lenses,MD and such), sent me home to do compresses and drops and retest. Tuesday was the surgery and it was a whole different experience than the previous two, since it was facial and involved an incision into the lip. I was basing expectations on previous exp and Doc's assurance I could do anything I wanted. Humpf! It's not been pleasant, with all the swelling, no talking, liquids through straws, very restricted eating and restricted activities. The Happy News is the path report shows the doc got all the cancer and the stitches come out tomorrow and we may get back to normal. Be nice not to do ice packs every two hours and be able to eat normal foods.

New computer arrived Wednesday and I'm involved in so many new techie learning curves, I'm drowning -- computer, software, cell phone (took back the first ones we got because they just didn't do what they were supposed to do). Those of you who know me well know I am not the least bit "techie." Got some editorial work done, but not much.
Whine, whine, whine.

I continue to hold good thoughts for Sis's arrival and hope she can relieve you a bit in terms of time you spend caring for Mom and making time available for you.

Torn in many directions? Yes, often during the past five years. And it still happens. Currently, certain family members expecting everyone in Phoenix for Christmas vs the unexpected expenses we've had, the logistics issues with taking the rig out there over the holidays (no place to park/put it) and the idea of eight to ten adults and seven dogs in one house, plus the fact Himself has no desire to engage in that. Seems I've spent a great deal of time torn between Mom, family, Himself, my wants and needs the past few years.

Negotiation and compromise. Accepting you're never going to make everyone happy and picking priorities one by one. Intellectually, I understand this. Emotionally/mentally, I'm still a bit at the "iffy" stage.

Pat said...

I'm even later. Thanks to Kaye for the brain teasers. They were tough.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow, Bill. And DR, very glad you got a good path report (as I've already told you twice). We all have our computer woes now and again, don't we!

William J. said...

Hi DR

No such thing as late on this blog, whining and late are banned words!

I will also hope for major improvements this week for you and you vision!

I hate it when they put me on a liquid diet! I am praying that a steak is in your future this week!

I am really optimistic anout Sis's arrival!

I will wish for guidiance for you for the holiday season and hope that you quit feeling torn between all those people. I think asking you to drive out there in winter weather is a bit extreme.


Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Never to late on this blog.

Not really a bad day, just a busy one. Been a weird year as Mark is keeping me busy even after 4-15. I've never had this much work so late in the year. Today is going to be as busy!

Bill

dona said...

Ok, I am really late, and sorry to have missed the teasers from Kaye. Thanks for the brainteasers, I thought they were fun.

Sorry you are so torn Bill, but hang in there, it all works itself out, your creative juices are still there.

Maybe we all can jump in and send you some more brainteasers or anything for these times when you are so busy.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

No such thing as late on the blog!

My creative juices are slowly returning!!


Bill