Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm thankful for all of you. Pat, DR, Dona, Mary, Mary Z, Connie, Kaye, Kim, Snug, Ellen, Bev, Red Whistle, Sian, and I am sure I am forgetting someone. Posters to and readers of my blog have a special place in my heart. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

I am thankful that I still have my Mom and for how she makes me feel. To her I am the most handsome man in the world that always looks nice. God love you, Mom.

I am thankful for the Dad that I had.

I am thankful for having the ability to earn a living even in these tough economic times.

I am thankful for my Sunday Breakfast boys.

I am thankful for grateful clients. This came home recently when a friend of the family told me that the accountant that did her son's 2008 tax return had him owingd over four grand to our lovely State. She asked if I would look at the son's return. I did. He was a merchant marine. Department of Revenue considers merchant marines military. Military doesn't pay state taxes in Oregon. They ended up not only not owing a dime for 2008 but getting refunds for two other years. I didn't charge them. Today not only was there a check in my mailbox but two hundred dollars worth of movie tickets. I would have been happy with a simple thank you.

I am thankful for my friends.

I am thankful for my Sister and that she is now here sharing the duties with Mom.

I am thankful for my Korean dry cleaner that always has a smile for me and always asks the question "how is the stock market doing?"

I am thankful for the employees of the Sherwood Safeway and the Sherwood Walgren's. They always smile and say hi Mr. Dahn or Bill. Even if I am just passing through on a walk and don't buy anything.

I am thankful for all the authors that write wonderful books that I spend time reading.

I am thankful for the creative folks that write and produce movies and allow me to get lost in their talents for a couple of hours.

I am thankful for those in the military, police and fire departments, EMT's, and all those that keep me safe.

I am thankful for all the waiters and waitresses that make my Mom feel special when we are out enjoying a meal together.

I am thankful for the dude that has been delivering my morning paper for the last six months. It is there before I get up every morning. When I pay the bill I give him a small tip. Next day after he gets my payment there is a note in the paper "thank you for the tip." Makes my day.

I am thankful for good stories like this:

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/11/25/little-girl-pens-heartwarming-letter-to-her-fathers-boss?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.com%2F2009%2F11%2F25%2Flittle-girl-pens-heartwarming-letter-to-her-fathers-boss

I am not thankful for my memory because that means most likely on this day to give Thanks that I have forgotten something or somebody that I am thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Now tell me what you are thankful for?

TODAY'S WHO AM I:

Yesterday's answer: Gertrude Caroline Ederle

I was born in 1880 and died in 1965. I was born to the owner of a stationer's business. I spent much of my childhood in Worcester. I attended a Classical High School and graduated from college in 1902. I went on to get a masters in sociology in 1910. Between the B.S. and Master years I taught high school. I married in 1913 but kept my birth name. I held various government positions in New York including being chairwoman of New York State Industrial Commission. In 1929 Governor Roosevelt appointed me commissioner. When Frankie when to a higher office he took me with him where I labored as a cabinet member. I held the cabinet position from 1933 to 1945, the first woman to hold that position. I helped pull the labor movement into the New Deal coalition. Myself and Interior Secretary Ickes were the only original members of the Roosevelt cabinet who remained in offices for his entire presidency. During my reign I championed the forty hour workweek. Some people say my most important contribution as a cabinet member was as chairwoman of the President's Committee on Economic Security. In this post, I was involved in all aspects of the reports and hearings that ultimately resulted in the Social Security Act of 1935. In 1939 I came under fire from congress for refusing to deport the Communist head of the west coast International Longshore and Warehouse Union. When my cabinet position was over Harry asked me to serve on the United States Civil Service Commission, which I did until 1952, when my husband died. When I was done with the government I remained active as a teacher and lecturer. I had one daughter with my husband. Both had manic-depressive symptoms. Who Am I?

8 comments:

cd0103 said...

I am thankful for my family, friends, job, and all of my internet friends.

William J. said...

Hi Connie

Thanks for the nice post and Happy Thanksgiving!

Bill

Ellen said...

I am thankful for you and all my other friends, regardless where I met them, for family, a nice place to live, food to eat, and lots and lots of books--oh, yes and for a Packer football game today.

Happy Thanksgiving, Bill!

William J. said...

Thanks, Ellen

And the Packers are kicking butt too!


Bill

Pat said...

I'm thankful for friends, in RL and online. For my daughter and her husband, my health, books to read, a computer to play with, no worries about food or mortgage, and most of all for the good place that's nice to visit and that I can count on to take good care of my mother.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I love your list. Expecially the ones re daughter and momther!

Hope you day was great.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I don't even know where to start, when it comes to what I'm thankful for. The list could go on for pages and pages, not in any necessary order. Family, friends in "real life" and across the contry via computer, my wonderful husband, a cozy home, food in the fridge and freezer, warm clothes, money to pay the bills, editorial work, my line dance group, the pool workouts, good health, so many interesting hobbies and projects and possibilities I don't know what to do first. My childhood and all that Mom and Daddy gave me and taught me, the many people who helped "raise" me during my childhood, the ability and opportunity to do everything from make a home to playing in the yard and gardens to RV trips (just not enough of those). I could continue, as I said, for pages. I consider myself to be incredibly blessed and hope all of you can say the same.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Loved your list!

I think we all our blessed and even more blessed because we rocognize how blessed we are!

Bill