Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Holiday Update

Part two of Rachael Bachman's story on Kenny Wheaton, entitled, "Run To Daylight."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2009/11/a_friends_admission_adds_to_ke.html

Update Day is here again. I am adjusting to sister being here and my health is improving everyday. We had a nice Thanksgiving Dinner. I purchased one of those prepared meals from Safeway. Sis put it together. Her first holiday here I didn't want her slaving over the stove all day so I did the prepared meal thing. It includes a twelve pound turkey, a ton of mashed potatoes, a green bean casserole, a dozen rolls, dressing, cranberries, and pumpkin pie. In addition I purchased a Boston Cream Cake. It only takes about two hours to put the dinner together and it tastes damn good. In attendance were Mom. Sis, Brother-In-Law, Nephew and his wife, One of Nephew's Daughters, and yours truly. Total of seven. Christmas is going to be even more here because my brother and his wife will be visiting from Wyoming. That means borhter's youngest daughter and her family will also be here. So for Christmas we will have fourteen to twenty.

Friday night I went back to Mom's for a leftover dinner and to watch The Family Feud with the troops. ThenI came home and hit the hay. Best night's sleep that I have gotten in ages. Even at one point during the night I slept for four hours straight. I never do that. A good sign.

Late yesterday afternoon the weekend continued. Mom, Sister, Brother-in-law, and I took off at went to the 3:50 showing of The Blind Side. I had already seen the movie and thought it was one of those rate movies that Mom wouldn't get offended by. Absolutely no swearing in the movie. Good characters and good stories. We went to the Tigard Regal Cinemas because they are the most handicap friendly movie house in the Regal chain in the Portland area. The other troops got there right when the previews started and the theater was packed. I got there early and bought the tickets. Everything fell into place. When I bought the tickets I got a free popcorn. There was one handicap parking spot left but it was the closest one to the theater. When we gave the older gentlemen our tickets as we went into the theater he said "without a doubt the best movie in the house." We took mom in to the theater (like I always do when I go to movies I had a small flashlight along) and we found the perfect place for mom to watch the movie from in a wheelchair. When brother-in-law and I went out to get refreshments for everyone, we didn't make it all the way to the concession stand because this kind of attractive young woman grabbed my arm and said "you don't have to stand in line, I set up a small stand here." She had everything in a little food cart, same prices, same stuff as the concession stand. Those people standing in the four lines, each at least ten deep, at the concession stand must have been eating their heart out. As soon as the movie started about two minutes in to the opening credits Mom said "this is a good movie." It really was too. I noticed things in the second viewing that I didn't in the first. Also when I went the first time there were maybe four people in the theater. This time it was a sell out, meaning a lot more laughter and applause at the end. I really knew Mom would like the movie but I wasn't sure about sis and her husband. They all loved it. Mom of course said "it was the best movie I've ever seen." Brother-in-law who never says much, said "that was a good one." Sister said, "that was the best movie I've seen this year. Just think how many students we fail that don't get the help he did." Adding to my review from a few days ago I can now add the words "family movie. Grandparents and Grandkids alike will enjoy it."

Today the weekend continues. First Breakfast with the breakfast boys. Then tonight we are taking my brother-in-law to Dave's Famous BBQ for his birthday. It just opened up here a couple of months ago and the birthday boy being from the heart of Texas lives and dies on BBQ ribs.

Entertainment update. Semi-finals of The Amazing Race tonight. Semi-Finals of Top Chef Wednesday night.

That was my holiday week. Now tell me about yours. Throw in some secrets if you so desire. And since it is your day, post anything you damn well please.

10 comments:

Pat said...

Not to be a downer, but the only unusual thing to happen this weekend was that my mom got sick. A night of GI distress kept everybody up most of Friday night, but the next day, yesterday, she seemed fine again, although tired and subdued.

We had all sorts of theories, including allergy to some kinds of fish, because the only other time this has happened was also on a (fish dinner) Friday night. But that seems questionable, since she's sailed through 2.5 years of fish dinner Fridays with only the two problem nights.

And now one of the other residents is having some GI problems, so there's probably a virus making the rounds there.

This kind of thing always scares everyone because of her advanced age. When she has a fit of vomiting and of course everyone hovers over her, her BP goes up. But we seem to have found a cure for that... one of my own BP pills is better at bringing BP down than the ones she takes, so I donated a couple to keep there in case she has another spike in BP. The doctor did okay this, btw, I'm not practicing medicine without a license.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Don't ever worry about posting downers. That is what this blog is about sharing, support, and life. It doesn't always have to be positive.

It has to be extremely stressful every time yur Mom gets sick because of her age. I know I get extremely scared when my mom gets sick.

What I am wondering is if the fish maybe doesn't work well with some of her medication. Is she on any new medication other than the b.p. meds?

I sure jhope a virus isn't going around your Mom's facility.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Pat, so sorry to hear about your Mom's bout with illness. I think we all get worried when our aging parents are ill, especially if we can't find a reason. I'm glad she's better now and how she's doing well today.

Bill, thanks for the continuing Wheaton story. I can't imagine what it would be like to find someone you'd helped raise had killed your son/brother.

Sounds like you had a great week. I'm a big fan of "catered" holiday meals,especially for a large group. Sounds like you're also taking time to have fun with the whole family, as wel and shel as on your own.

Happening weeK around here. Saw Dr. P and she says the eye looks good, keep up compresses and dropss. Slight change in prescription, so I can get rid of the frames I've hated for two years and get new from better selection. aw Dr. B and she's pleased with blood tests, things the one slightly high LDL is a "false" as it's calculated. At line dance, was promoted to front row and asked to be "Santa" which means "featured" in three dances. Luckily, found a red velour jacket and a white garland to use as fur trim and have Santa hat. Now, to figure out how to make a beard (g).

Quiet Thanksgiving with the two of us. Watched Macy's parade -- well, maybe half of it, as they kept going to commercials and we missed many of the precision teams. Will not watch again. Had Cornish game hen and potatoes in the crockpot, with various trimmings. The last two days have been the conversion, which didn't go as smoothly as we'd hoped, as I mentioned last night. Finally, about six tonight, eamil was up and running as it should, but I've still lots to learn about it. We did get Money files loaded - Yay! Be aware, when you switch to Win 7 (as it seems everyone must do eventually) you loose Outlook Express for email and you also loose Outlook, which has all my addresses and phone numbers. Am now on the search for a program for that. Will not be able to get new keyboard until tomorrow, so bear with any typos or strange sentences, as this keyboard has some interesting little quirks.

Given Himself spent the day fighting with computer files, then helping a ham with a problem, then more computer battles, we've decided to eat in tonight and go out to celebrate our anniversasry tomorrow, hoping for a more relaxing day and being able to head out early.

dona said...

Pat, sorry to hear about your mom and her problems. I hope it isn't a virus, and hope she is better by now. It sounds like you are right on top of things and acting quickly can be just the ticket for things like that.

Bill sounds like you are doing well with sis and the sleeping at nite sounds wonderful. I have only been reading parts of the posts of late, but I think maybe the sleeping shows some signs of relief on your part. You know how do you spell relief? S~L~E~E~P :)

DR, Glad to hear the eye and blood tests are good. Being promoted at Line dance sounds great too. As for the beard for Santa? I can always take some scissors to the Shankster's Beard while he is sleeping if you get in a pickle and can't find a thing. :)

I really hope everyone here had a good Thanksgiving.

Pat said...

Bill, a reaction between fish & meds was the first thing we thought of the first time she had something like this. At that time, we stopped the antibiotics she was on, as they were the only new med, and weren't doing much anyway. This time, she's only taking stuff she's been taking for 2 years, so it can't be that. I still bet on a virus, but at least it seems to be one that doesn't last long, as she was only sick the one night and the other woman who showed the same symptoms a day or two later was also fine after one day's illness.

Thanks for the sympathy, Bill, DR and Dona. All seems to be well now.

Lady DR said...

DDona,. thanks for the offer, but I'd hate to deprive the Shankster. Gee, Himself didn't offer his beard! I'm thinking maybe the batting material, cut to shape, using the spray glue to attach more garland material to follow the curves?

William J. said...

Hi DR

Good update!

The third part of the Wheaton story is my favorite. It is the forgiveness installment.

I am elated that your eye is progressing! I am you are soon rid of the drops and compresses. I am hopping the LDL is a false test, that is the one they have the most false reads on.

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE LINE DANCE PROMOTION!!!

Sometimes the quiet holidays are the best. I didn't watch the parade for the same reason you quit watching it.

Rule number on in life. Computer converstions never go good.

I have all my addresses in Quickbooks. So I am set if I do any conversions to 7.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU AND HIMSELF!

Bill

William J. said...

Hello Delightful Dona

A good sleep at night cures a lot of ills. I am relieved in many areas of my life. Less stress, less worry, more sleep, better health.

And since it takes me a century to grow a beard, I know where to come for one in case I ever need one!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm glad you thought of the drug reaction. I am glad that it is a short term virus. But would have been happier if she hadn't got sick at all!

Glad all seems better.

Bill

William J. said...

DR

Have you thought about checking out a costume shop for a beard? Or the Furman drama department?


Bill