Sunday, November 22, 2009

Going For The Gold.

First the good stuff. The first link is to a video on you tube. It really tells you what I like about Portland, Oregon. See what the staff at Providence St. Vincent Hospital here is doing for breast cancer awareness. The second link is to a good story. What the woman did wasn't all that difficult but in today's society if she hadn't stepped in something awful could have happened to the poor kid. Makes her a hero in my book.

The video that will make your day:

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/breast-cancer/pink-glove-dance?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl3|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2Fcondition-center%2Fbreast-cancer%2Fpink-glove-dance

The story that will make you both cringe and be thankful for citizens like the guardian angel:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/11/stranger_who_helped_3-year-old.html

Have you ever gone for a championship? We all dream of that moment when the crowd chants our name as we hit the winning basket or make the winning recipe, or win the race against all odds. I've been there once. A church league basketball game my senior year in high school. I had quit the high school team for what I thought was unfair expectations. I went from the sixth best player on the high school team to the best player in the church league. The Fighting Methodists went from a so-so team to being in the league championship game. Two days before the game my grandfather had died. Grampa Goldy was really a step grand-dad but he was the only grandfather I knew. In his honor I was going sit out the game until my grandmother said I would honor him more by playing. Game starts and our center, Randy, wins the tip. The ball always went to me, I was the court general. I was standing a good distance from the basket, when the opposing coach yelled to the player that was guarding me, "don't go out there, nobody in this league can make it from there." I looked at my coach, who shook his head indicating yes. I shot. Swish. The next time we got the ball, I went to the same place on the court. Nobody came out to guard me. Coach says yes. Swish. Third time we had the ball. Nobody comes out to guard me. Coach says yes. Swish. Granddad would have been proud. Then I made a dumb mistake. I turned to the opposing coach, "are you going to guard me or not?" Every time the rest of the game that I touched the ball there were two or three people around me. I couldn't breath let alone shoot. We lost, we finished second. While I did set a league record for rebounds in that game I only made two more baskets. Had I kept my mouth shut we could have won the gold. I could have been a hero. I am pretty sure my granddad would have still been proud of me but I always thought I could have honored his memory more by following his example of quiet excellence.

Why am I writing about championships on Update Day? Because in all of the reality shows that I have been writing about we are at crunch time. The Amazing Race and Top Chef are in the semi-finals. The championship of Dancing With The Stars is this week. Crunch time. Going for the Gold. Who will win? Who will blow it? Who is going to beat the stress and take home the gold?

The finals on Dancing With The Stars will be between Kelly, Mia, and Donny. Mia is probably the favorite. My odds for her to win are about one to one. Her strength is that she is an incredible dancer. Her weakness is she has the furthest to fall. Donny is probably five to one to win it all. His strength is that he is an incredible entertainer. His weakness is that he is the worst dancer of the three remaining contestants. Kelly is the underdog, probably ten to one to win it. Her strength is drive and determination. Her weakness is that she sometimes takes a step back to where she was before she started the show. Who do I want to win? Kelly. Why? Because she has improved the most. Because she is the only one in the finals without dancing experience. Because it has been absolutely enchanting watching a woman going from being a woman rough around the edges with the vocabulary of a sailor to being a somewhat elegant lady. Who are you rooting for?

On Top Chef this week they move to Napa Valley, California for the semi-finals. The four finalists are the V brothers, Kevin, and Jennifer. Jennifer started her comeback this week winning the Quickfire Challenge. Eli was eliminated just short of the semi-finals. Kevin won the night and thirty grand. I think Michael is the favorite and I place him at two to one to win it all. His strength is creativity. His weakness is overconfidence. In my ratings Kevin comes in second at five to one. His strength is simplicity. Simple dishes done well. His weakness is the lack of creativity. Bryan comes in third at ten to one. His strength is quiet excellence. His weakness is that he would rather beat his brother then win. The underdog is Jennifer at fifty to one to win it all. Her strength is sea food. Her weaknesses are the lack of confidence and the ability to let stress beat her. I want Jennifer to win. Why? Because I have a crush on her.

This week on The Amazing Race the father and son team was eliminated. The final four are the interracial couple, the globetrotters, the gay brothers, and the dating couple. The favorites are the brothers in my ratings. About ten to one to win it. Their strengths are good athletic skills. Their weakness is letting emotion and anger beat them. Coming in second are the Globetrotter at fifteen to one. Their strength is physical fitness. Their weakness is a tendency to have to much fun. Coming in third are the married couple at twenty to one. The strength is really her because of how competitive she is. The weakness is how damn nice he is. I love him for being the nicest dude in the race but this is a competition and when at the finish line go for the win not the niceness. Bringing up the rear are the dating couple at twenty-five to one. Their strength is they work really well together. Their weakness is that they will often choose the wrong of them to do a road block. I really want the interracial couple to win. Niceness rules. I just don't think it will happen.

Have you ever gone for a championship? If you have, have your ever blown it like I did in that church league game? If you are watching any of the reality shows who do you want to win? If you are not watching youn can still tell me if it is more important to be nice or competitive in a competition? And since it is Update Day, catch me up on your lives. What is going on with you? It is your day so post anything you damn well pleas.

TODAY'S WHO AM I ?

Yesterday's answer: Azie Taylor Morton

TODAY'S

I died of natural causes in 1973. I was born in 1880 in the same state that the owner of The Dahn Report was born in. I was the first of seven children born to a rancher/lumber merchant and a former school teacher. In 1902 I graduated from college with a B.S, in biology. In 1908 I moved to New York where I started a career as a social worker. From there I moved to Seattle where I enrolled at the University of Washington and joined the suffrage cause. I lead the efforts that gained women in Montana the right to vote, which they gained n 1914. Two years later the Big Sky state sent me to Washington D.C. to represent their state in a famous house. The first female to do so. I was often referred to as The Lady Of The House. A lifelong pacifist, I voted against the entry of the United States into both World War I and World War II, the only member of Congress to vote against the latter. Despite my vote against entering WWI I devoted myself to selling Liberty Bonds and voted for the military draft. While serving as a field secretary for the National Consumers' League I campaigned for legislation to promote maternal and child health care. I was the founding Vice-President of the American Civil Liberties Union and a founding member of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. An admirer of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in 1968 I led more than 5,000 women who called themselves "The Brigade" to the United States Capitol to demonstrate their opposition to U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War. Coretta Scott King and Judy Collins were among the other well-known women who attended. I bequeathed my property in Watkinsville, Georgia to help "mature, unemployed women workers." I am still the only woman from Montana to serve in Congress. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Love the video. Nice job of putting it together, too. I also loved the good Samaritan story. She did a small thing that meant the world to the father and son.

I've never gone for a championship in anything. Sorry you guys lost that game, but it makes for a great story.

As to the finals of the shows, I still like the interracial couple best on RACE. I think Mya should win DWTS because she has been consistently the best throughout. The only preference I have on CHEF is for Michael NOT to win. If I have the brothers' names straight -- he's the one that wears the stupid backwards baseball cap in interviews, right? He's an unpleasant and annoying person and I keep hoping he'll get kicked off the show. On PROJECT RUNWAY, the unpleasant and annoying woman won, so I hope it's not a trend.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Michael is the doofus that wears his baseball cap backwards. I don't want him to win either. Anyone but him.

I wouldn't mind if the interracial couple won the Amazing Race. Sorry about the outcome of Project Runway when the next seasons starts remind me and I will add that my watch list.

The good Samaritan did something a lot of people wouldn't. She was on Today this morning is a pretty charming woman.

The video just makse me smile. I loved that the hospital included the entire staff.

Bill

Lady DR said...

What a great video and an equally good story. It's always encouraging to see "good stuff" happening, as opposed to all the negatives and violence that seem to permeate so much of the news. Wish our paper would carry "feel good" stuff.

Can't recall every going for any championships, but loved hearing your story.

Been a happening week around here. Tuesday was the end of bandages and swelling and I can smile and talk and eat anything I want to and use "big people's" silverware and drink out of cups and glasses. Wednesday was Alice's surgery. She's doing really well, talked to her briefly Friday (they've got her on some Good Stuff and she's a little zippy), but the doc is pleased, she'd had half a dozen walks during the day, is standing up straight for the first time in almost eight months and, while she has surgical site pain, the pain in her hips, buttocks, thighs and calves is GONE! She was to be released yesterday, haven't talked with them today. She asked me to send a heartfelt "thank you" to all of you for your prayers and positive thoughts. Thursday was the last aquacize session of the term and, for me, the last teaching session, period. A tremendous sense of freedom. Friday was the last study group class and I found I was really getting into it, Finally. The private interview surprised me, in that D said I'd initially stated in the first day's essay I was a technophobe, yet my sessions showed I'd tried things before any of the others and had tried things the others never did get around to experimenting with. I shall probably continue to play with SL here at home on occasion. The sessions also made me realize I have little interest in cities, crowded attractions, urban attractions, but am drawn to beaches, quiet gardens, "destination sites" that are uncrowded and provide a sense of exploration, with a lot of frenetic activity and over-abundance of people. My new cookbook program arrived yesterday and I look forward to learning and playing with it. And, I even got in editorial hours and picked up a new client. Life is definitely good!

William J. said...

Hi DR

I keep my eyes out for good stories because I like them.

I am tickled pink that the badages off, the swelling is down, that you can smile but most important is that yoiu can talk and eat anything!

I am also glad Alice is doing well. Standing up straight is a big deal because that means they are getting her ready to go home. And I see now she may already be home!

Yea to the freedom from teaching!

It doesn't surprise me that you tried things others didn't in your class! It is that desire to learn. You sho it in the Who Am I's of the day.

Good checki-in!

Bill

Lady DR said...

One correction to the check-in -- I like places withOUT a lot of people and frenetic activities (g)

William J. said...

Hi DR

I actually read it as you didn't like places. See we are connected!

Bill