Sunday, November 1, 2009

Your Life Update, My Entertainment Update

There is no trivia today. The answer to yesterday's question was on of the women tried for being a witch at the Salem Witch Trials, Sarah Good.

I found out from Dona's blog that she did go to the doctor and she has bronchitis. Send healing vibes her direction. You post a support comment here or on her blog at:

http://mrgreenjeans.blogspot.com/

A special for DR is the good story of the day/week. Disabled kids get to trick or treat. Read the charming story here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/10/with_anticipation_thick_as_fog.html

Since you get updated on my life daily I will do an entertainment update starting with The Amazing Race where the newly dating country and western singers, Mika Combs and Canaan Smith, were eliminated because Mika just couldn't go down a sixty foot water slide. Her two greatest fears are heights and water, the combination of the two just was to much for her. It truly was the kind of thing that five years ago I would have not understood and would have made fun of Mika for. Now because of a number of things that have happened in those five years I really kind of have a lot of empathy for Mika. Had Mika been able to overcome her fears the Globetrotters would have been sent packing. I'm still rooting for the interracial married couple. Looking forward to tonight's show.

On Dancing With The Stars I actually thought the dancing was better than the judges scored them, especially with Mia and Donny. Those two dances were top notch. The thing about the scoring on DWTS that bugs the hell out of me is that they don't judge the dancing against other contestants, they judge the contestants against themselves. If a contest comes out of the chute dancing really wel,l like Mia and Donny did, it ends up hurting them. Then the judges score all following performance against that first dance and even if the dance is better then the other contestants they are scored lower because the didn't live up their previous performances. If someone starts out dancing awful, if they aren't eliminated, they benefit because again the judges are scoring them against themselves. If they improve, they get better scores. My solution is not to grade the dancers after every dance. Wait until all the contestants have performed and then bring them out one by one and give them their score. It just seems fairer to me. Eliminated this weeks were Melissa and Louie. Louie lost a dance off to Michael. I would really like to see both Aaron and Michael go this week. Aaron really creeps me out for some reason and Michael even though he works hard and is a pretty decent dude just doesn't cut it as a dancer.

On Top Chef Natalie Portman brought a lot sexual innuendos to the dinner table. Never say "pricks the tongue" around her because if you do all the kids will have to leave the room. I hope Jennifer gets her act together because if she doesn't it is going to be an all male final. The Quickfire Challenge had to do with TV and dinners. Contestants had to match a classic TV show with a dish. Jennifer with The Flintstones and Robin with Sesame Street lost. Kevin with The Sopranos finished second. Byran won with a dish inspired by Mash. The elimination challenge was to turn judge Tom's Craftsteak Restaurant into a vegetarian restaurant and cook a vegetarian dish for Portman and her friends. Michael I, Robin, and Jennifer were in the bottom three. Kevin, Michael V, and Eli were in the top three. The judges taught us that arrogance isn't always a good trait and sent Michael I packing. Kevin walked away with the win. By the way Top Chef is coming to Portland to look for talent. If anyone of you want to visit Portland and give it a shot come on up, dinner is on me! You can read the story here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2009/10/portland_chefs_tvs_top_chef_wa.html

The blog is now yours. As always comment on anything you want. Ask question, give hints, tips, or advise. Share anything you feel safe sharing. Are you coming to Portland to try out for Top Chef? Since this is your day you can post anything you damn well please.

8 comments:

Pat said...

That's a great story about the treats for kids who can't navigate hills and steps. What a brilliant idea! I hope others follow suit.

I missed Amazing Race last night, but I'm happy that Mika and Canaan were eliminated. She was just annoying. Though I'll admit that slide looked scary. It wasn't 6 ft, it was more like, oh, 60. Anyway, it was a lo-ooong way down, and it would have scared me, too. But when you go on a show like that, you'd better be prepared for some scary stuff. Me? I wouldn't try at all, because I'd get eliminated for refusing to eat sheep's eyeballs or live cockroaches or some other icky thing. No way would I do that!

Missed DWTS, too, so no comment about that, except I've always disliked the judging sometimes and the phone-in voting all the time.

I did see Top Chef, and you're right, they were a lot racier than usual. But it's a 10 o'clock show, so whattheheck. {g}

dona said...

Hello Bill, and thanks for the get well wishes that are coming my way. I got some antibiotics that will hopefully help to rid myself of the rest of the bronchitis. I am counting on it.

Loved the story of the trick or treaters and I wish there were more of those guys out there, I hope he recovers completely.

I agree with you on the judging of DWTS, it seems to be a little rotten sometimes. But it seems to be the same on a lot of other reality shows. I love a lot of them, but am starting to get a bit annoyed too.

So what did you really think of the innuendos from Natalie Portman on Top Chef? I sort of thought it was a bit out of taste and wondered how much they cut out, sure it was a bit funny but I just really didn't think it was all that necessary. And what do you think is the matter with Jennifer? I do hope she gets it together soon.

I don't have much to share today, and you always say we can ask anything, so I wonder if anyone had any good easy recipes for me as food is having no taste and it seems like hot food goes down the best as the throat seems to have a huge lump in it when I swallow. Anything will be appreciated...

Lady DR said...

Dona, so sorry to hear about the bronchitis and will hope the antibiotics work fast. Meantime, please take care of yourself. As to easy recipes for warm food for a sore and scratchy throat... gee, I tend to rely on soup or oatmeal or mashed potatoes (not very balanced nutritionally, but it goes down easy). I just don't feel like cooking at all when I'm not feeling well.

Bill, thanks for the story - what a real treat for the kids who can't get around the hills and steps and so forth. I do hope it grows and, as Pat says, others follow suit.

Slow news week here. Work, line dance, some domestic catch up. Spent a lot of time researching computers and bit the bullet and ordered me a new laptop today. We knew the time was coming, but when Himself watched me try to use SecondLife (the program we use for the dissertation study group I'm in), then saw the internet connection time and some other stuff... well, the time is now. So a new toy, supposed to be super fast, equipped with Windows Seven (oh boy, lots of new learning curves the end of this week!) Oh, the dissertation study did start and looks interesting. It's virtual reality, you go visit various places. We just got our beginner's wings, so don't know yet where all we may go or where we can go, but it's a free software download. I'll keep you posted, in case anyone is interested.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

If you have HD TV the Bravo HD channel shows Top Chef at 7, 6 Central Time so considering that I thought it was a little racy.

I looked at the interview of Mika and C on a reality web site. And she had went down a slide befor the show, it just wasn't combined with heights. They thought she would overcome her fears but obviously they were wrong. I found them both annoying.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

i hope the antibiotics work and work quickly.

I think the judging stinks on most reality shows and often the right people don't win. Or at least my favorites don't win.

If Top Chef was only on at ten then I completely agree with Pat that no harm done. However, since there are many reruns at other times and some in the day and since the Bravo HD channel shows Top Chef during family hour I thought the innuendos weere over the line. I think Jennifer was really relaxed and at ease during the early part of the show and I don't think she really thought she had a chance in Hades to win so she could just cook. Now that she has survived so long she is feeling the pressure and it is causing her to perform before her ability.

You can go to bravotv.com/topchef and all their recipes from all their shows are there.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think there will be more cities following suit and providing trick or treats for the disabled. I may even try to do something myself next year.

CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby, aka, laptop. I heard Windows seven is pretty easy to use.

I will be interested in hearing more about the dissertation and virtual reality.

Bill

dona said...

Thanks DR, for the ideas, only that is exactly what I have lived on for 2 weeks now. I think the Shankster has cooked me up every kind of soup imaginable for the broth!

Nothing really has any taste, I was just hoping for a new idea.

And DR, I had forgot to tell you about the Magic Meat Mix recipe I fixed up of yours, sure has come in handy and we have used it a lot. SO thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yes you the storyteller