Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ghostly or Ghastly?

My cousin Sharon sent me the following:

You know you are too old to Trick or Treat when:

10. You get winded from knocking on the door.

9. You have to have another kid chew the candy for you.



8. You ask for high fiber candy only.




7. When someone drops a candy bar in your bag, you lose your balance and fall over.




6. People say: 'Great Boris Karloff Mask And you're not wearing a mask.

5. When the door opens you yell, 'Trick or...' And can't remember the rest.




4. By the end of the night you have a bag full of restraining orders.



3. You have to carefully choose a costume that won't dislodge your hairpiece.

2. You're the only Power Ranger in the neighborhood with a walker.



And the number one reason that tells you that your are to old to go Trick Or Treating:


1. You keep having to go home to pee.



What is on the agenda for you tonight? Going out to a party in costume? Staying home and giving the ghosts and goblins treats? If you are dressing up in costumes, tell us what you are wearing! Pictures are welcome!

I'm staying home and not only handing out treats but also I'm going to watch the USC vs. Oregon football game. I hand out full sized candy bars. It really is cheap insurance on my house. I've never had anything happen to my house on witches night. I owe that all to Snickers, Baby Ruth and Hersheys.

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

YESTERDAY'S ANSWER: Rita Dove.

I was born in 1655 and was executed in 1692. The owner of The Dahn Report lives not far from a city in Oregon that bears the same name of the city I was tried and executed in. I was described by the people of that city as being filthy, bad-tempered, and strangely detached from the rest of the village. I was often associated with the death of residents' livestock and would wander door to door, asking for charity. If the resident refused, I would walk away muttering under my breath. I maintained during trial that I was only saying the Ten Commandments. When asked to say the Commandments at my trial, I could not recite a single one. I was accused of my crime on February 25, 1692, when Abigail Williams and Betty Parris, related to the Reverend Parris, claimed to be under my influence. The young girls appeared to have been bitten, pinched, and otherwise tormented. They would have fits in which their bodies would appear to involuntarily convulse, their eyes rolling into the back of their heads and their mouths hanging open. When Reverend Parris asked “Who torments you?” the girls shouted out the names of townspeople, Tituba, Sarah Osborne, and myself. The trial started on March 1, 1692. When I was brought into the court room my accusers immediately began to rock back and forth and moan, seemingly in response to my presence. Others who testified in my trial claimed to have seen me flying through the sky on a stick. Even my husband testified against me, stating he had seen the Devil’s mark on my body, right below my shoulder. When I was allowed the chance to defend myself in front of the 12 jurors in the Village meeting house, I argued my innocence, proclaiming Tituba and Osborne were the real guilty parties. I was convicted and sentenced to death. I was pregnant with a second child at the time of my trial. I gave birth while awaiting my execution; the infant died shortly thereafter in the jail. On July 19, 1692 I was hanged along with four other women. While the other four quietly awaited their ill-fortuned death, I firmly proclaimed my innocence. I declared to my xecutioner: “You are a liar. I am no more a guilty than you are and if you take away my life God will give you blood to drink." 25 years later the executioner died from a severe brain hemorrhage, choking on his own blood. Who Am I?

11 comments:

dona said...

I love it...all too right too!

On Halloween, since we are at mom and dads there have never been any trick or treaters (except last year during the night when our cars were broken into..some treat for us) So its not too fun here without having the fun of candy giving. So this year since I have a little one that is the first year for him to wear a costume, I plan on going out with momma and daddy to all the safe places for fun.

How about you Bill, do you dress up to hand out the goodies? I would love to have come to your house, I loved getting the full size bars!!!

Oh And I think I will be wearing a tail that comes out from under my shirt. :)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I just bet your little buddy is going to look so damn cute in his costume! I hope he has a really nice memorable night.

Nah, I don't dress up unless a party is on the horizon and I haven't went to one of those for the long time. The last time I went to a costume party I dressed up as Olive Oil.

And I want to see you with a tail, that means you are dressing up as a cat?

By the way when older kids take their younger siblings out trick or treating, I make sure the older kids get a treat too! And often the parents! So if you stopped by my house all three of you would get a treat.

Bill

Pat said...

Wow, full-sized candy bars? If you lived here, you'd have to mortgage your house to do that. I don't know at this point what we'll do tonight. A friend of Akkana's was going to come over in his wizard costume to help hand out candy. He makes a terrific wizard because he's tall, has long hair and a very long beard. He looks rather like Gandalf (Ian McKellen) in the Lord of the Rings movies. But alas, his wife has a fever, so we'll just have to hand out candy our own boring selves. Or turn off the lights and go hide in the back of the house. We'll see, but I'd prefer handing out candy. Lately I've avoided it, but with houseguests to keep me entertained as I wait for the next batch of kids, it'll be fun like it used to be. I think.

Pat said...

PS: I'd give a lot to see you in Olive Oyl costume, Bill!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

All pictures of the Olove Oyl costume have been destroyed.

Here you can get six packs of the regular sized bars for two to three dollars. I get maybe 50 tricksters a year so it is under thirth bucks, still cheaper than cleaning toilet paper od shaving cream off of my houses.

I'm sorry about the wizard's wife being ill that just is sad.

I'm with you, I prefer handing out candy too. I think it is fun.
Hope you enjoy the night!

Bill

dona said...

Oh No, how did the Olive Oyl costume pics get destroyed? You didn't do it on purpose did you? I would have loved to see that too.

No I didn't really go as a cat or anything...I just used one of those kids games with Zoo animal tails and put it on and wore it. It stuck out from the bottom of my hoodie making it look like my tail was hanging/sticking out. I used the Lions tail.
No, no pictures of me, but I may send you one of my buddy. He was Dumbo.

I bet your house is the favorite in your neighborhood. I know it would be mine! Happy Halloween!

Lady DR said...

Sounds like you're all enjoying your Halloween. Pat, hope you did do the candy thing. We so enjoyed it in FL, when we'd have as many as a hundred kids. I'd dress up to pass out treats. Here, we're country and get none. So, our Halloween was supper at the Family Buffet and a quick stop at OD for Al to get tape and me to drool over new computers.

However, I called Mom and Deb tonight and they were on the front porch, waiting. About ten minute into the conversation, kids began arriving, so I got long distance descriptions of costumes and could hear all the giggles.

Pat said...

Halloween is over now. We had fewer than in the past, but still went through 5 bags of candy. Our "wizard" was willing to leave his sick wife and come, but we decided it probably wasn't a good thing to have somebody come from a sick household to hand out candy to kids. Especially since we don't yet know what she has. So we did it the old-fashioned way, with no costumes, no wizard, and all was over by 9 p.m.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I destroyed the Olive costume pictures to save my professional reputation.

Would love to see the little buddy's picture. Great idea of a costume!

I love it when trick or treats live my door and yell at their parents "WOW!". Makes my night almost as much as the Ducks clobbering USC did.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I don't understand parents that don't like being part of trick or treating. I always felt since I benefitted as a kid it was my turn to turn it around as an adult.

Hope your dinner at the buffet was great!

I'm glad you got to hear the giggles of kids even if it was by phone.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Wowser five bags of candy is a ton.

I had more than usual. It didn't really get dark hear until after 6:30 and it ended by 8:30, so it was short but fun.

Bill