Monday, October 26, 2009

Stories

Before the stories I wanted to ask for prayers, good thoughts, good vibes, and positive thoughts for a friend of mine. I found out yesterday that the dad of Mark, one of the accountants that bought my business, has taken a turn for the worse. Please send anything you can muster Mark and his dad's direction.

The feel good story. Parents adopt several children and two families become one. Read the story here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/10/love_builds_the_thomas_family.html

The are you kidding me story. A man holds a man that owes him money hostage, kills his friend, and sued his hostage and won in arbitration. Personally, I think the should have thrown the case out of court and told the idiot that sued if her ever sued anyone again he would be castrated. You can read the story here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/10/crime_victim_now_being_sued_by.html

They why I hate political talk radio story. The hosts give out information like it is hard news and factual when it is just hyperbole. Their avid following believes every word they say. Then when the story is false they don't correct the information. This particular host has referred to a white senator as black when it would only have taken two seconds to go to the senate web page and look at pictures. That is about how much checking the hosts do of their facts. Two seconds. Other hosts have twice called people having affairs as being from a different political party then they actually are. We know what both sides have done with healthcare reform. Read the story that doesn't surprise me but upsets me here:

http://news.aol.com/article/limbaugh-falls-for-obama-thesis-hoax/735565?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl2|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Flimbaugh-falls-for-obama-thesis-hoax%2F735565

The heads up story. Top Chef Masters is returning to The Bravo Channel for season two. Here is the article:

http://insidetv.aol.com/2009/10/23/top-chef-masters-season-2-set-for-2010/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl2|link6|http%3A%2F%2Finsidetv.aol.com%2F2009%2F10%2F23%2Ftop-chef-masters-season-2-set-for-2010%2F#

Do you have any stories to tall or share? Do think that someone should be able to sue a person they once held hostage? Where do you stand on political talk radio shows? Should the shows be preceded by a warning, "half of what is said during this show is bad information, liste at your own risk"? Are you glad Top Chef Masters is returning?

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answer: Author of The Age of Innocence and numerous other books and articles Edith Wharton.


TODAY'S WHO AM I?

I am another woman who had a liberty ship named after me during World War II.
My father was a Confederate captain during the United States Civil War. I was known as Daisy but that had nothing to do with my birth name. I also acquired another nickname while living with my grandparents, Little Ship. Because my grandfather was Native American I often played with Native American Children. I was born in 1860 and as a child was always jumping into new games, hobbies, and ideas. I was educated in several prominent boarding schools. When I was about 25 years old I suffered an ear infection that was treated with silver nitrate. The treatment damaged my ear and I lost most of my hearing. At age 26 I married Bill on my parents' twenty-ninth wedding anniversary. At the wedding a grain of rice thrown became lodged in my good ear. When it was removed my ear drum was punctured and became infected, causing me to become completely deaf in that ear. My hearing was limited for the rest of her life. My marriage was childless. Although we moved to England, I divided my time between the British Isles and America. During the Spanish-American War I came back to America to aid in the war effort. I helped Mom organize a convalescent hospital for wounded soldiers returning from Cuba. Due to my husband's drinking and philandering I intended to get a divorce. However, my husband died from a stroke before the divorce proceedings could be finalized. When I read my husband's will I discovered that my husband had left his money to his mistress. I founded a famous organization in 1912. The first meeting had eighteen young ladies in attendance. I served as president of the organization from 1915 until 1920 when I was granted the title of founder. I was known for being eccentric and charming. One story said at a board meeting of the organization I stood on my head to display the new organizational shoes that I was wearing. I wrote poems; sketched, wrote and acted in plays. I also became a skilled painter and sculptor. I developed breast cancer in 1923 but kept it secret and continued to work for the organization that I founded until I died in 1923 and was buried in the organization's uniform. I was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame in Seneca Falls, New York in the mid 1970's. A federal building is Savannah, Georgia is named after me thanks to President Ronnie. In 2005 I was honored as part of a new national monument in Washington, D.C. named The Extra Mile Points of Light Volunteer Pathway. The monument's medallions, laid into sidewalks adjacent to the White House, form a one-mile walking path. It is OK to Scout around the Internet to find out Who I AM?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Lovely story about the family.

Re the second story, I think both the sue-er and the sue-ee sound like big losers. I think since Durham is in the slammer for murder, he shouldn't be able to sue for return of his money. Although I can certainly sympathize with somebody who put $18K into a business that never materialized, I think his committing murder and abduction more or less invalidates his claim to sympathy.

The Limbaugh story is nothing new for him. He routinely lies on the air and never, ever apologizes when he's outed. He's a verbal terrorist and he should be muzzled. I'd like to see a warning on his show and on most of the Fox News talking heads. In fairness, perhaps the same warning should be applied to MSNBC, but it would be worth it to have "For entertainment value only" plastered across some of those foreheads.

I'm happy to see TOP CHEF MASTERS will return, but I could sure do without Kelly Choi. Something weird about her, like a wind-up doll. Spooky.

Lady DR said...

Bill, will add Mark's dad and family to my prayer list. I know you've been friends for a number of years.

Feel good story -- You make my day, every time you find one of these. What a tale, what a family. How neat they were all able to return to Zimbowie and Thomas is going to establish a hut for missionaries there.

You're Kidding Me story - what a fiasco. Like Pat, both guys sound like losers to me. However, how can we allow a man who comitted murder, because he was frustrated about a business deal, to sue what was apparently a a business man trying to do his job? I can't imagine what my mental state would be, if I'd been held hostage at gunpoint by a client and felt at least partially responsible for the death of an employee, committed by the same man. Where the heck are the pro bono attorneys? That we allow convicted felons to sue their victims is a travesty. The bit about the deal he cut to get his favorite foods is beyond the pale, as they used to say.

Political talk shows - actually, talk shows as a genre irritate me to pieces, whether radio or television, and I make it a point to avoid them. They're simply what they're called - talk. It doesn't have to be right or wrong, fact or fiction, opinion or lambasting, since there are no rules. Unfortunately, many people regard them as "news." (Well, then again, given the way the news is slanted, based on the network, region, newspaper, local politics, "news" often isn't fact nowadays either). Yes, I think all talk shows should have warning banners running across the bottom or announced every five minutes on radio. The sad thing is, people could confirm the facts, but most are more willing to just buy off on what's offered and too lazy to do any further research or ask objective questions. I've gotten emails from folks touting "facts" that I can easily learn are totally wrong.

That answers your first three questions. Since I don't watch TV, I have no comment on Top Chef, having never seen it.Stories -- haven't read it yet, but the new AARP mag arrived today with what promises to be quie a story on Natalie Cole, which I look forward to reading.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The Oregonian really does a good job at putting feel good stories in their paper now and again.

They were both losers but I think killing a friend over a debt is a little over the top and once murder enters the picture the debt is canceled.

I agree with you about Limbaugh, truth has never been important to him and much as making money by lying to his flock. I agree with you on the warning for both Fox and MSNBC. The sad thing is so many people believe them. The latest fiasco as a fine example about Obama taking on Fox. Bush administration officials were told knot to go on MSNBC. They just didn't do it as publically or admit it.

Kelly bothers me to but then so does Samantha Harris on DWTS.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thank for the support re Mark.

Sometimes I luck out with the feel good stories. But sometimes they take a while to find.


I would think it would take me years to recover from being held hostage, esepcially if a friend was killed.

I agree with about all TV talk shows that focus on politics but I do like shows like Oprah on TV and The Satellite Sisters that used to be on the radio. They are or were helpful, fun, and often had or have feel good stories on them. It is sad that the listeners of political talk don't take the extra step and confirm some of the things their heros are saying.

I will have read the Natalie Cole article when I get my magazine.

Bill