Monday, October 19, 2009

What Makes A Hero?

I am going to try to find one feel good story each week to post on the blog. There was one in this morning's Oregonian, you can read the story here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/10/a_purple_heart_comes_home_to_v.html

The two guys that worked so hard to find the owner of the medal are in my mind heroes.

I watched the Amazing Race last night and my new favorites are the interracial married couple. He is just so nice and she shows her love of him in many ways. I am now officially rooting for them. The couple I liked the least were eliminated last night. I just couldn't stand him and didn't like her enough to overcome my dislike of Lance.

In honor of the two guys in the above story today we are going to discuss what makes a hero.

I am using he and and himself in this paragraph as inclusive of all sexes. My definition is someone that is always true to himself and his beliefs. They do things not for fame or fortunate but because what they are doing is the right thing to do. They are good people. He helps people when others turn a blind eye. He is kind. He is humble. They often put others before themselves.

Some of my heroes. Mother Theresa. My Dad. Our Soldiers. The Kennedy family (they were wealthy and could have stayed in the background enjoying their wealth, instead they gave their lives to our country.) Rosa Parks. My Mom as she ages. A lot of the answers to my Who am I of the day. And the list goes on.

What is your definition of a hero? Who are some of your heroes?

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

1953

Yesterday's answer: Ellen Henrietta Swallow Richards

Born in 1872 I was known as an American businesswoman and philanthropist. Born to one of Virginia's most established families I enjoyed private education and other luxuries. I married an attorney in 1895. We had two sons. My husband and an associate came up with the idea of bottling Coca Cola beverages and was granted an exclusive contract. When my husband died I took over the family's business affairs and real estate assets. I remarried in 1913. In 1934 I was the first woman to serve on the Board of Directors of a major American corporation. During my lifetime I donated millions of dollars to more than 130 different organizations. In 1945 I formed a foundation in my name that was dedicated to charity, education and religion. I survived both my husbands and my two sons. Upon my death the corporation that I served on the Board of Directors for noted of me "Endowed with material things, she had a conviction that she held them as trustee for the poor, the meek and the unfortunate." A special collection in the Robert W. Woodruff Library at Emory University holds many of my papers and writings. Several academic buildings are named in my honor including an administration building at Georgia Tech and a new freshman residence hall on Emory University's main Atlanta campus that opened in 2008. I died in 1953. Who Am 1?

11 comments:

Pat said...

That's a very sweet story, and good on those two guys who tracked down the owner of the medal. But "heroes"? Well, they are certainly goodhearted and deserving guys, and I'm willing to call them that, though I'd probably define heroism a bit more sternly. {g}

I'll go with your definition, too, but might add, for a true hero, someone who helps others even when it endangers or is detrimental to himself.

But to more frivolous matters. I wasn't sorry to see that couple go, but I'd as soon it was the other couple, with the blonde who whimpered about heights while looking up at a building. She's a little annoying. I'll join you in rooting for the interracial couple. I liked how they helped others. I think one other couple did that, too, but I'm not sure because I was in the kitchen part of the time.

Bev Sykes said...

I have many heroes, but I'll just name one: Gabi Clayton. Gabi is a woman in Olympia, Washington. She had two songs, Bill and Noel. Bill was bisexual and in 1995, after being attacked by some boys in a hate crime, Bill committed suicide, afraid that the rest of his life would be lived in fear of another beating.

Following Bill's death, Gabi got involved with PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays). She works tirelessly to educate people about gay kids and helped to establish the Gay-Straight Alliance, an organization which helps to prevent anti-gay violence in high schools.

She also founded FUAH (Families United Against Hate), a grassroots organization created by and for families and survivors of hate-motivated violence.

She has taken her son's death and turned it into a positive force for education in the world. Who knows how many children she has saved as a result?

Pat said...

Almost forgot. And totally off the subject. DR suggested I post this question here. A woman at my mother's facility occasionally goes inward and mutters to herself, "Hody, hody, hody" over and over. I have no idea where this comes from and can't ask the lady herself, as she's quite deaf and probably not even aware she's saying it when she does. Googling only produced a Czech song with a video of decorating eggs, but DR thought it might be a midwestern thing. Only other thing I can think of is "hodie" in Latin, which I think means "today". Anybody got any ideas?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Maybe those guys just performed a heroic act and arn't heroes. I mean it must have taken them a lot of time and I bet it took forever to get through to the senator's office. I'm not sure I would have done it.

If a hero is someone who helps others when it endangers or is detrimental to himself than all of us that are caregivers are heros.
You, Snug, Donna, DR, Etc.

The couple you mention with the blonde scared of heights was my second least favorite couple and it wouldn't hurt me to see them go next.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Bev

Thanks for bringing Gabi Clayton to our attention. She certainly fits the definition of a hero!

I really not only admire her but her dedication.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I will post this question in tomorrow's blog entry. To bring it someone's attention. Have you also thought about posting the question on Facebook?

Bill

Lady DR said...

What a great story and video, Bill. Could we do a feel good story every day, please? Those guys really had to go through some hoops to find the son and I give them credit for cutting through the bureaucracy, when nothing else seemed to work.

I think a lot of things make heroes and I think we have a lot of heroes in everyday life, who aren't recognized as such. I agree with your definition -- true to himself and his beliefs, helping others, putting others before themselves. I think a hero is generally a compassionate individual, not so concerned with being strong or being recognized, as helping, protecting, serving, if you will.

The cops who go on domestic calls and remove the children from danger, while protecting the spouse and calming the abuser. The firemen, who never get mentioned by name for rescuing someone from a house or apartment fire. The single parent, who manages to support his/her family and, at the same time, raises children who are respectful, optimistic, do well at school and learn to share responsibility. The child, who steps in to protect the "runt" from the bullies. The teenage social leader, who reaches out to the new kid in school or the one who needs support and encouragement because life at home is less than good. The volunteers, who show up at Meals on Wheels early in the morning, to prepare the food, and the drivers who deliver it to places which are, sometimes, less than safe or savory. Other volunteers, who give their time to help others. People like your "who am I" today and others you've brought to our attention, who've used their wealth to positive purpose.

My heroes? My dad. The guy on the 911 flight and those who joined him. Everyone of our men and women in the service, who are willing to do as ordered, to protect our freedoms and beliefs. A friend who bottomed out as an alcoholic and came back to be one of the finest and most effective counselors in his AA group and equally effective in his position in state gov't, getting funding and making people realize alcoholism is a disease that needs to be treated, not something that happens to people to weak to say "no" to a drink. May sound silly, but our vet, who gives one day a week to the Humane Society, volunteers with Animal Rescue and does her best to not only heal and save the critters there, but to find homes for them.

I guess what I'm saying is... there are a lot of heroes who go undecorated and unrecognized, who do "small" deeds on a daily basis that make a difference in someone else's life.

"Do not wait until some deed of greatness you can do; Brighten the corner where you are."

Unknowingly, each of us may be a hero to someone we've met or touched and never know it.

William J. said...

Hi DR

What a great post. I would love to do a feel good story every day but the media being what it is I thought it would be safe to promise once a week. Maybe I will just do one when I see one!

I will definitely add compassion to the list.

Cops and fireman risk their lives almost daily for a safer society so they go my list too. As do the 9-11 Let's Roll passangers.

Your friend, Like Bev's hero, turn sadness into a treasure of saving and helping others. Truly heros.
It may silly but the vet is helping and the animals he saves go on to help others themselves.

I love the following quote:

"Do not wait until some deed of greatness you can do; Brighten the corner where you are."

Bill

Lady DR said...

The quote was from an old Sunday School song from my childhood, which has remained a favorite of mine to this day. I'll email it to you....

Lady DR said...

This is late and folks may not see it, but I thought of a "real hero," who needs to be recognized.

When I was in high school, there was a family who was definitely "from the wrong side of the tracks." Gary, the oldest, was about my age, maybe a year younger, and had three of four younger siblings. He rarely had clean clothes, he barely made passing grades, he was definitely a "loser."

What I didn't know (I don't think any of us kids did) was that Gary's parents were serious alcoholics and abusive.

His parents died about the time I left to go to Mpls to school. Gary refused to let the county take his younger sibs, although he had just graduated high school (barely) at the time. He got a job. He cleaned up the house and cleaned up himself and the kids, made sure they were in school and did their homework and made good grades. He worked hard and self-educated himself. He earned respect and he wouldn't accept charity, but wouldn't turn away legitimate assistance wehn he needed it.

Gary is now a well respected member of the small community and his siblings completed school, I think a couple went on to college and the Sarver name now has pride and respect. To me, he's a true hero.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thank you for the words to the song by email. I love it.

Gary is definitely a hero! I have a ton of respect for him! What selfless person.

Bill