Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stories From The Internet

Just news items today.

First up we bring to your attention a hospital error. Officials oof Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California issued a statement fessing up that a computer error caused radiation overdoses in over two hundred patients who underwent CT Scans there. In a written statement Monday, hospital officials said "a misunderstanding about an embedded default setting applied by the machine" resulted in a higher than expected amount of radiation." The patients received eight times the normal dose of radiation and the error went undetected for 18 months. According to the statement several patients lost patches of hair as a result of the error. The scanner's manufacturer, General Electric, says the machine was not defective. The FDA issued an alert urging hospitals nationwide to review their safety protocols for CT scans.

Next up is misguided ads. Some Louisville, Kentucky officials don't find ads for their city all that funny. One ad mentions Louisville as a "Possibility City" that understands why a man wants a better life with a girlfriend that has a tatoo on her butt. The erectile-dysfunction ad promotes their city as one where happiness lasts more than four hours.

Those that own Fords should be aware that Ford has recalled 4.5 million cars due to a faulty part that could cause fire. Among the cars recalled are Ford Windstar Mini-vans, and Lincoln and Mercury autos. If you own a Ford, call your local Ford Dealer to see if your car is on the recall list.

That is all for the day. Looking forward to Top Chef tonight. Questions of the day. Do hospital errors worry you? We have been pretty happy with the hospital we go to here so I don't worry much about errors there. What about the ads for Louisville, over the top or acceptable? I am in the over the top camp. Hope this is a great day for you without any recalls!

TODAY'S TRIVIA;

Yesterday's answer: Frida Kahlo

I had a Liberty Ship of World War II named after me in 1943 over two hundred and fifty years after my death. I was born in 1601 and was the first woman in the English North American colonies to go before a body. I was also a significant founder of two of the original thirteen colonies. I was said to rank with Anne as being among the most confrontational and controversial women figures to rise to prominence in early Colonial American history. The period of emigration of myself and my siblings occurred during a period of agitation against those suspected of a recusancy preceding the English Civil War. I was one of six daughters of and thirteen children of a Lord. I was a direct ancestor to relative knighted in 1066. Due to by our lineage account we were said to be descendants of William the Conqueror. We arrived in the colonies in 1638. A Proprietary Governor appointed me his executrix while on his death bed entitling my sisters and I to land grants of equal size to those that arrived in the colonies in 1634. On October 4, 1639 I became the first female land owner in the colony I lived in. I assembled armed volunteers to assist the Governor's forces in suppressing a rebellion. In 1648 the Provincial Court appointed me attorney-in-fact to a Lord. On January 21, 1648 I entered the Provincial Court's assembly and entered a plea for voice in the assembly's council and a second plea for two votes in its proceedings (one as landowner and one as the Lord's attorney in fact), Governor Greene flatly refused me as they considered by the assembly at the time to be privileges reserved only for queens. I left but not before I protested against all proceedings unless I wase present and had my votes. I appeared a final time as the Lord's attorney on February 9, 1648 in a case against Mr. Cornwallis and was replaced by a man. Though I was more of a businesswoman than a lawyer I entered more lawsuits than anyone in the colony. I founded a community across the bay called "Peace. I was one of very few English women of my time never to marry. Who Am I?

9 comments:

Pat said...

I am also looking forward to Top Chef tonight. Who got eliminated on DWTS last night? I was going to record it but forgot.

Hospital errors worry me when I think about them, and the CT scan business is very worrying. Loss of hair would be extremely annoying, but knowing I had gotten an 8X dose of radiation would be more worrying by a longshot. I can hardly wait for the lawsuits to begin, though since there are no immediate serious damages, it may be a while.

I'll join you in the over-the-top camp on those ads. Yuck. No Fords at my house, so no recalls at the moment. They sure don't need that kind of publicity as American cars try to prove they're as good now as the imports.

Lady DR said...

For openers, I'm completely stumped by your Who Am I for today.

Hospital errors: Yes, they're a concern, although I think hospitals are being more careful. As Pat says, now we wait for the lawsuits, since everyone seems to be saying, "Not my fault." This is one reason I think everyone, regardless of age, needs a mentor with them for hospital procedures.

The ad: Over the top. For that matter, I'd as soon ads for those types of products and promises weren't public domain and forced viewing.

Fords: Mine goes to the dealership Friday AM to check a slight vibration, so if there's any recalls on the Focus, Brett will be on top of it.

dona said...

Hello to Bill and everyone.
I agree with the hospital errors & the over the top ads. I also am in with DR on keeping some ads just out of public eye period! Yuck is right.

I also missed the elimination on DWTS last nite, so Bill you need to help out with an update soon. :)

Ok, Ford owner here, & don't see mine on your list...but guessing I had better check into it further. Thanks for the heads up Bill!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Bottom two Chuck and Aaron. Chuck goes home. They announced early on that all the women were safe.

I don't have that much hair to lose! And I wouldn't want to glow in the dark after a CT.

Fortunately Ford is the only American manufacture that didn't ask for a government bailout so they might be able to withstand this recall.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

You ended up getting the Who Am I!!

I think the Hospital errors are the exception more than the rule.
I definitely agree with you that everyone needs a mentor and a person to watch out for them when they go to the hospital!

I am glad Brett is looking out for you and your Ford!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

The bottom two scorers were Michael and Aarron. Michael avoided the bottom two. Aaron and Chuck were in the bottom two, Chuck went home. I think what happened is Aaron lost some respect when people saw him crying after losing the week before and Michael gained some respect by hugging and supporting Aaron. I think Michael does go home next.

Let me know if you Ford passes muster!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Dona, you can go to a website that's something like www.myford.com (google it first to be sure) and type in your year, make, model and VIN. You'll get any notifications of recalls and can also check on when you need certain maintenance issues done. I somehow managed to lose my information on the URL, which means I also don't have my ID and password (the problem with decluttering when in the mood to dump anything that doesn't look useful!)

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thanks for the information, it is one of the things I like about the blog is I have so many great friends (posters) that are always helpful.

THANKS!!

Bill

dona said...

Thanks DR, I will do just that! I had no idea you could even do such a thing..duh. And I know what you mean on the decluttering thing, the Shankster accuses me of "moving" things too much to where he can't find them, but I think its where I am trying to clean up and think...what is this? and just pitch it, later to find out it was something he or I really needed..like passwords and phone numbers. :)