Thursday, October 29, 2009

I Am Who I Am.

All your good thoughts, good vibes, and prayers worked. Yesterday's doctor appointment for Mom turned out really well. They did a small procedure on her hand that worked. I was over to Mom's first thing this morning and there was no pain in her hand. Now the orthopedic surgeon is going to call the heart doctor to see if Mom is up to a procedure that in all probability will take the pain out of her hip.

On the sister front. They found a house three doors down from where Mom lives. It was a foreclosure and the bank accepted their offer. They are moving here after Thanksgiving. God love sister for being willing to come up here and help with Mom. It will definitely benefit me as it will create opportunities for me to have a life. It will also help tremendously during tax season. Last tax season with three jobs and mom it was just a little to much. I still with have my own business and two consulting assignments this tax season but not near the responsibilities with Mom.

I know the move will help and be good for me. I'm just not sure the move will be good for either Mom or Sis. One of the reasons that I know it will help me is that I have accepted the fact that they are going to be who they are and when they are doing something that upsets me it isn't my failing it is them being them. I love Mom and Sis. I will and have done anything for them. That has never been or will ever be a question. However, take a second to imagine what it is like to be with two people that constantly interrupt, that are constantly correcting almost everything you say (when an appointment is or what word you use as examples), and despite a college education being told how to do things that you have been doing correctly for years. It can be a real blow to your confidence if you let it be. I now have accepted the fact that despite the fact that I have been getting Mom and dad in and out of cars and handling them in a wheelchair and have never once allowed either of them to fall I will be told how to do it. Now I've accepted I'm being told that not because of my failing but because they are being who they are and apparently they need that for their confidence. I have accepted the fact that when I start a sentence that most likely I will be interrupted. That isn't because they don't want to hear what I have to say, it is because they are being who they are. I'm There. So I am great with the move and know it will help me.

Now maybe I can help them. Although I do wish one of them would have taught me not to put tin foil in the microwave both Mom and Sis have always been there for me. With a hug, a loan, encouragement, with gifts, with support. I've had that from them all my life. I treasure that. I treasure them. My mission before the move is to help Mom get to the point that she realizes when sis is telling her what to do it isn't criticism and it isn't personal, it is just her being her. And maybe if I can get Mom there she will handles it with patient instead of reaction and it will help to create a peaceful atmosphere instead of a blood pressure raising environment that can't be healthy for either of them.

Your thoughts? Your Comments?

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

I was born in 1835 and went on to become a writer, teacher, reformer, part of the women's suffrage movement and was a white supremacist. I also served in the senate for one day and as of 2009 was the only woman to have served as a senator from that state. I was over 87 years old when I served my one day as a senator which made me the oldest freshman senator to enter the Senate. I once claimed that the more money that my state spent on black education the more crimes they committed. While seeking suffrage for women I decried black suffrage. Despite my awful views on blacks I was a respected leader in the women's suffrage movement. My state was the first state to reject the Nineteenth Amendment when it was proposed in 1919. Unlike most states in the Union my state did not allow women to vote in the 1920 presidential election. I criticized what I saw as the hypocrisy of Southern men who boasted of superior Southern "chivalry" but opposed women's rights. I expressed my dislike of the fact that Southern states resisted women's suffrage longer than other regions of the U.S. In 1922 Senator Watson died prematurely. Seeking an appointee who would not be a competitor in the coming special election to fill the vacant seat, and a way to secure the vote of the new women voters alienated by a candidate's opposition to the 19th Amendment the candidate chose me to serve as Senator. Congress was not expected to reconvene until after the election, so the chances were slim that I would be formally sworn in as Senator. However the winner of the special election rather than take his seat immediately when the Senate reconvened on November 21, 1922, allowed me to be officially sworn in. I then became the first woman seated in the Senate, and served until the winner of the special election took office on November 22, 1922, one day later. My tenure was the shortest for any Senator in history. I was also the last former slaveowner to serve in the U.S. Senate. I died in 1930. Who is this woman that the owner of The Dahn Report in all probability wouldn't like?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Yay, we did it again! Good news about the hand procedure, and more good vibes coming for the hip!

Amazing that sis and BIL found a house just 3 doors from mom! How handy! But the family dynamics sound a little iffy at best. Lotsa luck on getting your mom to accept sis's quirks at this late date. Just try to stay out of it as much as you can, okay? My prediction: Neither of them will change. Sorry about that.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am with you that neither of them will change. However, if I can get om to change her reaction to being told what to do etc then it will be better for everyone including Mom. One thing about Mom is that she will listen and I think I can accomplish this.

I am going to stay out of it after they get here. But until they get here I am going to work on mom so she doesn't take it personal.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Great news on the hand still working well and the possibility of surgery that will eliminate the hip pain.

As to Sis... glad they found a house nearby and all is working out. As to Sis and Mom... they're going to have to work that out themselves. Can't change what you can't control, can't control what you can't change. I think it's good that you've got some time to talk to your Mom. If you can get her to understand that neither of you can change Sis and that Mom's reactions will make a difference in the spiral effect and, maybe, in Sis's actions/commands/ directives, you'll be way ahead of the game.

Your attitude of accepting they are who they are and not reacting to it may be a big factor in them settling in. I hope. Sounds to me like you're the healthiest one of the bunch, in terms of realizing what's going on. Hopefully, that may rub off on one or both of them. Good Luck! I know it's hard to sit by and watch and I also appreciate your comments on being told how to do things you've been doing for ten years, successfully, competently and well. It may be they need to establish (for themnselves) some feeling of control?

William J. said...

Hi DR

I don't know if I am the healthiest of the bunch I just reached the point of deciding what is healthier for me. Reacting and getting upset and raising it to an argument level or just accepting who they are and be at peace with who I am and let them be who they are.

I think my sis does the correcting and the controlling bit because she lacks a lot of confidence. She even tells her husband to brush his teeth and sometimes when to go to the bathroom. Watching her with others helped me get to where I am. In a way it is kind of sad. She is such a wonderful person in so many areas. There would be no homeless animals or people if she had a house big enough. I just wonder if people will take that chance to really get to know her.

Bill