Friday, October 16, 2009

Let's Play Favorites.

Today I want to know some of your favorites. Some of mine are:

Favorite Movie: To Kill A Mockingbird.

Favorite Book: A Civil Action.

Favorite Male Author: William Bernhardt, Richard North Patterson, David Baldacci.

Favorite Female Author: Janet Evonovich, J.A. Jance, & Margaret Atwood.

Favorite Current TV Show: Tied. Top Chef, Dancing With The Stars, Flash Forward.

All-Time Favorite TV Shows: Barney Miller, The Fugitive, Murder She Wrote, The Rockford Files, Matlock, Perry Mason.

Favorite Holiday: Thanksgiving. Christmas without the shopping.

Favorite Actor: George Clooney, Tom Hanks.

Favorite Actress: Meryl Streep, Amy Adams. Sandra Bullock.

Favorite Childhood Memory: Riding my Shetland Pony to school for show and tell.

Favorite Get Away: Ashland, Oregon.

Favorite Day of The Week. May through December, Sunday. January through April Saturday.

Favorite Meal: Turkey with the trimmings. Ham and scalloped potatoes.

Favorite Male Comedian: Currently Jeff Foxworthy, all time Bob Newhart.

Favorite Female Comedian: Currently S.D., All time Lucille Ball.

Your turn. Answer any or all of the above. Or create you own list and answer them. If there is a favorite of mine not listed that you would like to know fire away. May you be everyone's favorite today!!

TODAY'S TRIVIA;

Yesterday's answer: Lydia Marie Child

There is an article of clothing that is associated with my name even though I didn't invent it. Born in 1818 I was an American women's rights and temperance advocate. I came from a family of modest means and received only a few years of formal schooling. I married an attorney at the age of 22. My husband encouraged me to write for his New York newspaper. I spent my early years in New York. We moved to Iowa in 1852. I am commemorated with Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Sojourner Truth and Harriet Ross Tubman in the calendar of saints of the Episcopal Church. In 1849 I began publishing my views on temperance and social issues in my own bi-weekly publication. While my newspaper initially focused on temperance I allowed Elizabeth to contribute articles on the broader issues of women's rights. My newspaper contained a broad mix of contents ranging from recipes to moralist tracts, including topics such as marriage law reform and higher education for women. My paper circulation was over 4,000. When asked what it was like to be the first woman to own, operate and edit a news vehicle for women, I said. "It was a needed instrument to spread abroad the truth of a new gospel to woman, and I could not withhold my hand to stay the work I had begun. I saw not the end from the beginning and dreamed where to my propositions to society would lead me." In my publication I promoted a change in dress standards for women that would be less restrictive in regular activities. I felt the costume of women should be suited to her wants and needs. Their dress should conduce at once her health, comfort, and usefulness, and while it should not fail to also conduce her personal adornment, it should make that end of secondary importance. I remained a suffrage pioneer and writer throughout my life, writing for a wide array of periodicals. I led suffrage campaigns in Nebraska and Iowa, and served as president of the Iowa Woman Suffrage Association from 1871 until 1873. Susan B. Anthony used my publication as voice for many women reformers. I died in 1894. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Well, I'll start on this, but reading your list made me realize I don't have single favorite much of anything. Depends on the day and my mood.
MOVIE: Dr Strangelove
BOOK: Bellwether
MALE AUTHOR: Today John Sandford
FEMALE: Margaret Atwood is up there. Connie Willis, too.
TV SHOW: Mentalist, Medium, Top Chef, Project Runway
ALLTIME: Dunno. The Prisoner?
No, West Wing.
HOLIDAY: Christmas, but just because the kids visit for weeks.
ACTOR: Alan Rickman, Antonio Banderas
ACTRESS: No real fave. Streep is great.
CHILDHOOD: Adopted dogs
GETAWAY: I never get away
DAY: Any with nothing planned
MEAL: Steak w/bearnaise; chicken tikka masala
No favorite comedian, but I like Jon Stewart's & Bill Maher's shows.
No fave female comedian, either.

This might be quite a different list tomorrow or if I spent a lot of time thinking about it. I guess today I'll be my mom's favorite, but that's a pretty easy one to accomplish.

Bev Sykes said...

OK...I'm game:

Favorite Movie: Judy Garland's "A Star Is Born" (which will surprise no one who has read my journal over the years!)

Favorite Book: East of Eden, The Mother Tongue, Prince of Tides

Favorite Male Author: John Steinbeck, Pat Conroy, Michael Connelly, Bill Bryson

Favorite Female Author: Used to be Patricia Cornwell until recently!

Favorite Current TV Show: The Daily Show, House

All-Time Favorite TV Shows: West Wing, Northern Exposure, Dick Van Dyke Show

Favorite Holiday: I like Thanksgiving too, but Tom's 4th of July party would make that holiday a close favorite as well.

Favorite Actor: Spencer Tracy, Tom Hanks, Robin Williams

Favorite Actress: Judy Garland, Audrey Hepburn, Meryl Streep

Favorite Childhood Memory: Can't think of one, but I would love to have ridden a shetland pony to school!

Favorite Get Away: Western Australia. Too bad I can't get away again.

Favorite Day of The Week. No particular favorite.

Favorite Meal: A tossup between a roast leg of lamb dinner with mashed potatoes and peas and fresh cracked dungeness crab piled high.

Favorite Male Comedian: Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Jerry Seinfeld

Favorite Female Comedienne: Whoopi Goldberg, Ellen Degeneres, Kate Clinton

William J. said...

Hi Pat

My list might change tomorrow too!
I tried Sanford but he just had to many murder victims for me.

I loved West Wing. And Rickman and Banderas are neon almost every woman I know list.

Next time we go to Higgins I'm buying you a steak dinner!

My guess is you are always you Mom's favorite.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Bev

Hope this finds you in good spirits and good health.

I love Michael Connelly, I forgot him. His Harry Bosch novels are great.

I forgot about Northern Exposure!

Of I love Spencer Tracy because my dad looked like him and I think Robn Williams is terribly underrated as an actor.

And how could I forget the beautiful Audrey Hepburn.

OK, if I decide to take a cooking class.

I've never hear of Kate Clinton.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Like Pat, my favorites change on a regular basis in many categories and, in many cases, I don't have real favorites, but a variety I like. My list is patchy.

Books: The John Jakes Americans series and the Harry Potter Series, plus Change Your Thoughts and Change Your Life, The Wizard's Way and God on a Harley.

Authors: Anyone who can write mystery, suspense, women's fiction and mainstream with good, prefereably great, plot and character development.

All-time Favorite TV (bearing in mind I don't watch anymore) Hit Parade, Tenn Ernie Ford, Miceky Mouse Club, Grand Old Opry.

Get Away - Years ago, Padre Island, before it became so commercial and was still a wildlife refuge, mostly. Today -- any quiet campsite for a weekend of relaxing.

Meal: I'm with Pat - filet with Bernaise sauce. For comfort food, ribs and baked potatoe or meatloaf and mashed potatoes and green beans in cheese sauce.

Music: Good country western, Dixieland, old standards, most Elvis.

Today, I'm Spook and Skeet's favorite person, since they got scrambled eggs at lunch and cheese treats (with Skeet's pill).

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think a lot of our favorites would change daily.

I remember watching Tennessee Ernie Ford growing up, she was special. OK after I win the lottery and hold the first annual Dahn Report gettogether we find the best steak place in Portland!


Bill