Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Last Legitimate President.

Not much today just a couple of stories.

The first story is an interesting column by Thomas Friedeman in the New York Times in which he wonders whether or not George H.W. Bush will be remembered as our last legitimate president. He also compares our political environment to the environment in Israel before the assisnation of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin. Interesting stuff. You can read his entire column here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/opinion/30friedman.html?_r=1

The next story is about a woman who created and painted a mural on a gas station wall in Washington D.C. to show the problems with the U.S. Health Care System. She did so to heal from the loss of her husband, Fred Holliday, who had held a series of temporary teaching jobs without benefits, got a full-time position at American University that included health insurance. Finally, he could afford to see a doctor about the blood in his urine and the fatigue that wouldn't let up.

It was too late. The 39-year-old was diagnosed with inoperable kidney cancer. If there was any good news, it was that the family had health insurance to cover Fred's treatment. The bad news, his wife learned, is that even those with coverage must negotiate reams of red tape at a time in their lives when they are most distraught and vulnerable.

In her blog, on Facebook and on Twitter, Holliday recounts the 46 gurney trips Fred made as he was moved from hospital to hospital, hospice to home. During one transfer, a rough move by an orderly broke Fred's hip. Another time he was dropped. Even with health insurance, "they want you out" after two or three weeks in a hospital, she said. "The day you get there they ask, 'What is your discharge plan?' Well, it's like, my husband's really sick."

You can read the entire article here:

http://news.aol.com/article/regina-holliday-paints-mural-to-show/695567?icid=main|htmlws-sb|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fregina-holliday-paints-mural-to-show%2F695567

Do you agree with Thomas Friedeman? Will George H.W. Bush be or is our last legitmate president? Does the comparison for our politcal environment to the environment in Israel before a assisnation concern you? As to the ladies health care hell, does her story surprise you? Bother you? What about it bothers you?

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answer: Louisa Catherine Johnson Adams

Today's Who Am I:

I was born in 1967. I am a singwriter, singer, and former model. I married my husband in 2008. I am a heiress to a fortune created by a tire manufacturing company that was founded by my grandfather. I moved from the country of my birth to escape the threat of a kidnapping by a Marxist-Leninist terrorist group. My biological father is not my legal father, I am the product of a six year affair he had with my mother. My sister is an actress and director. My brother died of complications from Aids. I also have a half-sister. I modeled jeans and subsequently worked for designers and fashion houses such as Christian Dior, Givenchy, Paco Rabanne, Sonia Rykiel, Christian Lacroix, Karl Lagerfeld, John Galliano, Yves Saint-Laurent, Chanel and Versace. I was among the 20 highest paid fashion models in the world earning $7.5million a year. I dated Eric Clapton, then Mick Jagger. My nude photo sold at auction for $91,000. I quit fashion to concentrate on music. My debut album was produced by an ex-lover. Even after I became political I continued with my music career. I sang for Nelson Mandela's 91st birthday. It was my first public appearance after beginning my political career. I once recorded a duet with Harry Connick, Jr. I was once quoted as saying "I'm monogamous from time to time, but I prefer polygamy and polyandry." I was also once quoted as saying that I was "bored with monogamy", and that "love lasts a long time, but burning desire — two to three weeks". I have been awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of Carlos III. I don't agree with the Pope's stance on religion and Aids. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

Not much today? I'd say you've got some heavy stuff here, Bill. The Friedman article sure gives pause for thought. Do I think we're in the same position as Israel, before Rabin was killed? I certainly hope not. However, I do agree we've reached the point where money talks, especially when it means re-election, and where the average American voice is rarely heard, unless it can be used by the media for sensationalism of some sort. We've reached the point where I'm not sure any of our politicians (and a lot of our populace) have a clue what bi-partisan effort means, let alone negotiation and cooperations. As to elected officials in Washington or even at the state level considering what is in the best interest of all, I don't think that's anywhere in their thinking or actions. I'm thinking the Canadians have the right idea: send a guy to DC, give him six months to start living up to his promises and, if he proves everything he said was untrue or money means more than promises to constituents, recall the jerk and elect someone else. Heck, every job I ever had included six months probabtion periods to prove you could fulfill the promises on your resume or in your interview.

As to Halliday's experience... I wish I could feel it was uncommon, but I'm afraid it's all too common. How fortunate we were, when Walt had cancer, in that we were in a small city, had caring doctors and nurses and often people who knew us were among the hospital staff. That was twenty four years ago and it was a whole different world. What Deb went through more recently, during the last three years of Paul's battle with cancer was much like what Halliday describes -- in and out, no one cares, even though you've got insurance. And no, you can't get your own medical records, without paying for them. We couldn't get Mom's records, for her to take to AZ, although they will transfer them to a doctor out there, but you still don't get to see them. They're your records, your body, and you paid for them through your insurance premiums, so why can't you have copies of them?

Friedman's comments tie in with the issues Halliday raised about folks telling her a public health option meant death panals and the end of Medicare and so forth. None of which is true, but it makes for good press and gets folks all bent out of shape and loud and angry. My heart goes out to her, left to raise two children. She can't possibly continue to carry health insurance, if the premiums are double her income as a pre-school teacher.

Yes, both articles bother me. What bothers me most is I don't know what we can do to change either situation. We elect people in good faith, they turn their backs on their constituents and on the real concerns of the nation, in favor of pointing fingers, calling names, building their war chests and following the money. Those few who may want to do what's right are shouted down and outvoted. Until DC begins to think in terms of what's in the best interest of ALL the American people and recognize the problems here at home and work together (what a concept!) to fix those, I'm not sure where we're going or where we'll end up. It just seems to me we've come a long way from "One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." We are seriously divided and liberty and justice seems to be relegated only to those with the money to buy them.

(Putting away soapbox)

Pat said...

Quick comment here -- I haven't had time to read the articles (working the bookstore today), but I saw Friedman last night on Bill Maher's show, and I do agree with him about how high-pitched the hate speech has gotten from the right about this president. I can see the parallels with Israel and the possibility that some weirdo will take all the Limbaugh/Fox News people's rantings to heart and try something drastic. I worry about that.

As to the other article, it's very sad, and also very common. There are millions of horror stories making the rounds, and you wonder if anybody in power is actually listening. Or rather if the ones that are listening are brave enough to stand up and DO something.

I like DR's idea of a 6 month probation period for elected officials. We might even see some campaign promises acted upon.

And, er, the original Pledge of Allegiance didn't have that "under God" thing in it, you know. It was added in 1953 when we... well some of us... were all nervous about the godless Communists. It's a political pledge, and God has no place in it.

Grump, grump. Off to visit mom now...

William J. said...

Hi DR

Well it didn't much work to post a couple of articles. But they were on deep subjects. And I absolutely love it when you are on your soap box.

I do thing the kind of hate speach Friedeman writes about creates an atomsphere where an assasination wouldn't be surprising.

None of are politicians care anymore about what is the best of American they only care that the push through an agenda that meets their beliefs.

I agree with the six month trial period. I also think we should choose politicians the way we choose juries.

It is just pitiful that you can't get your own medical records without paying for them.

Great job in relating the two articles!!! With premiums double her income my guess is she will be without insurance in a short order or she will be broke. What a choice.

"Until DC begins to think in terms of what's in the best interest of ALL the American people and recognize the problems here at home and work together (what a concept!) to fix those, I'm not sure where we're going or where we'll end up."

That quote should be sent to every senator and representative.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You are working to hard for a retired person.

I worry not only about the level of the hate speach but as he states in his article it no longer is just coming from the fringe it is coming from elected officials and the mainstream.

Hope your visit with your mom went as good as you could expect and that you are able to get some rest!

Bill

Pat said...

Oh, I'm not working too hard, Bill. I only do the bookstore every couple of weeks or so. Most days I do nothing at all of consequence.

Tonight's visit went as well as expected. She gets on a roll lately and keeps asking questions about a particular thing. One day it'll be money, wanting to pay for everything, another day it'll be rain, when we haven't seen any for months. Tonight it was "What will we do with all those people?" I was totally puzzled until I heard they had a tour today and everybody made over my mom because she's 103. I guess she got a little overwhelmed and thought they might all move in. Most of the time it makes no sense at all and I have no idea where it's coming from.

About medical records: they are yours, and you have a right to have them. If you have to pay for copying, that's one thing. Anything above that is against the law. At least that's the case here in CA, but I think it's Federal law.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Glad you aren't working to hard.

I know how tough it is with your Mom. My dad was the same way. One day it was the farm he used to live on, the next day it was wanting to go home, then it was the roofing company, then it was he needed to find a job. Hard to deal with.

bill