Sunday, October 25, 2009

Updates

My main update was yesterday. I've spent this morning with my brother-in-law doing what DR suggested, talking over responsibilities should they move up here. We really had a very nice time. Since you got my update yesterday on to the entertainment update thing.

This week on Top Chef was the Restaurant Wars. The Quickfire Challenge was a relay where one person starts the dish, have ten minutes, then at the end of the ten minutes the next member of the team continues the dish. The trick was that the contestants were blindfolded until their turn at the dish. Team one consisted of Jennifer, Laurine, Kevin, nd Michael I. Team two consisted of everyone's last choice, Robin, The V brothers, and Eli. Team one won the relay and the choice to take ten grand total for the team or let it ride and if they won the restaurant challenge each would get ten grand. They let it ride. The Restaurant War was between Team One's Mission and Team Two's Revolt. Team one stunk it up and team two despite their lousy name for restaurant won the Restaurant War. Michael V won ten grand which he wanted to share with the team but his brother refused the money. One of the losing ream was going home. My heart skipped a beat praying that it wasn't going to be Jennifer and it wasn't, it was Laurine.

On The Amazing Race Lance and Keri got sent packing after they got lost everywhere they went. I wasn't sad to see them leave. I just hated the way he treated her, any woman in her right mind should stay at least one hundred miles away from him. Tonight I hope the poker players get sent home.

Natalie sadly got sent home on Dancing With The Stars. This week I would like to see either Aaron or Michael get the axe. I do hope the dancing this week is as much fun as it was last week.

Now it is your turn to update me. What is going on in your life? Any concerns? Any joys that you would like to share? Any movies or TV shows we all should check out? I'm all ears!

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answer: Jeannette Ridlon Piccard

TODAY'S WHO AM I?

I was born before the age of innocence in 1862. I was one of three children. I married at age 23 to a man twelve years older than I. When he began spending money on younger women it took a toll on me and we divorced in 1913. After the divorce I suffered a nervous breakdown and was confined to a hospital. Upon my release I moved to Europe. Despite being married for twenty-eight years it was my biggest mistake. Although I was a highly regarded landscape architect, interior designer, and taste-maker of my time the pen is mightier than the sword. I built my own estate in Massachusetts which still stands as a supreme example of my design principles. I once entertained novelist Henry James there. I eventually moved to France where I was one of the few foreigners allowed to travel to the front lines. I wrote a series of articles about the French fighting from Dunkerque to Belfort. Throughout the war I worked tirelessly in charitable efforts for refugees, and, in 1916, was named a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor in recognition of my commitment to the displaced. I returned to the U.S. only once after the war, to receive an honorary doctorate degree from Yale University in 1923. I was the first woman to win a certain prize for one of my works even though I was no longer innocent and but was of a certain age. In 1934 I took A Backward Glance in my autobiography. I continued writing until my death, lying in bed and dropping each finished page to the floor to be collected when I finished. My last work was finished by Mr. Mainwaring after my death in 1936.
Who Am I?

7 comments:

Lady DR said...

Pretty ho-hum around here, which is pretty much fine with me. Editorial projects, domestic projects, clearing up some nagging issues.

Renewed our cell contract, got our "new every two" phones and took Mom off the account and reduced minutes. The new phones are the Motorola Krave. It may take a while for me to learn to love mine. Everything is 'touch screen,' no buttons. A somewhat frustrating learning curve (the manual is useless), but Himself got me set up with ring tones and we figured out the Blue Tooth (yeah, going high tech here). Since I only use my phone for calling out and receiving calls and since it does have the voice command for calling, I don't worry about all the other bells and whistles. He tells me touch is the wave of the future, so I'll be ready. Right (koff). Got the Costco acc't straightened out, so Mom can put Deb on hers and we opened a new one. Some time clearing the front garden felt good. As you can see, life is one mad whirl of editing, domestics, a break for line dance and pool time and I complain not, as I've had more than enough unexpected excitement in the past few years.

So glad you had a chat with b-i-l and it went well. Keeping my fingers crossed they'll find something in Portland and you'll have a bit more of a life of your own, with assistance with Mom.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Glad things have slowed down a bit for you, you deserve a break.

Those touch screen phones drive me nuts! Everyone I know has touch phones except me.

I am pretty sure sister and her hubby are moving here. Their daughter may have an opportunity that will require her to move from Utah to LA so now there is nothing keeping them in Utah.

Bill

Pat said...

Glad you had a nice chat with BIL, but of course he won't be the one you're coordinating with should the hoped-for move take place. [g]

Nothing new here. Kids here and gone, but will be back on Friday next. I'm awaiting delivery of a netbook I ordered, and sure hope it gets here before they leave, as I know I'll need help getting it set up. No touch screens for me. They can be okay for ATMs and the like, but I'd just as soon not deal with them otherwise.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

My sister and her husband are one and the same, they really don't do anything without the other.

Glad you enjoyed your company and won't have to wait to long until they return!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Well, I'm learning to navigate around the touch screen. Fortunately, I don't have to use it a lot. I will say it was nice to have the earphone while talking to Mom this evening and being able to move around hands free and fiddle with plants and such. Must remember to put earpiece in purse when leaving house, since primary function is to use in car.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I can see the benefit of earphones but the touch screen I am just not ready for it.

Bill

Lady DR said...

As to the touch screen, see if you can find some place to play with one, whether computer or cell phone. I'm rather afraid we're all going to have to go that route at some point, so I guess it is as well I can play with one with relatively little impact.

The bluetooth isn't earphones. It's a thing that hooks over one ear and the microphone must be really sensitive, since it's a good six inches or more from my mouth (it's part of the earpiece) and no one had any trouble hearing me on it. Geez, technology is interesting, if you can live through learning to live with it.