Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Selfishness

I'm not sure these would qualified as feel good stories but the first one is certainly inspirational and the second one is a very touching memory of an amazing animal.

The first story is about a soccer league and one of its players. I think I love this woman, certainly her spirit.

http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/10/23/grandma-soccer-league-rocks-south-africa/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemondrop.com%2F2009%2F10%2F23%2Fgrandma-soccer-league-rocks-south-africa%2F

The second is a video tribute to Baxter, the worlds best, most devoted, and oldest therapy dog, 19 years and 6 months, eased peacefully from his life on Friday afternoon, October 16th. He was adopted from a shelter and spent his life helping people in Hospice. He had several ailments himself, including arthritis, and even when he couldn't walk he still provided companionship to humans. Get the tissues out before viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIrDbzoOxZc&feature=player_embedded

A few questions for the day. If you were put in a position of knowing if someone did something it would be great for you but terrible for them, what would you do? Keep silent and let them make their own choice? Encourage them to towards the task that would help you? Encourage them away from the task that might be harmful to them? Hope you will be proven wrong and everyone will benefit? And what do you do if you wanted to stay out of it, but were asked point blank what your opinion was? Tell the truth? Tell a half-truth? Outright lie?

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answer: Founder of Girl Scouts, Juliet Gordon Low.


TODAY'S IS FACT OR CRAP, TELL ME IF THE FOLLOWING ARE FACT OR CRAP:

There is a parody religion dedicated to the Flying Spaghetti Monstor, and another dedicated to the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Queen Elizabeth once had a cameo role as an angry housewife on the British soap opera Eastenders.

The founder of McDonalds served in the same World War I ambulance unit as Walt Disney.

Prince Andrew is ineligible for the royal succession, because a strike prevented the publication of his birth announcement in The Times Of London.

In 2005, The Isle of Man briefly renamed itself The Isle Of Woman.

11 comments:

Pat said...

I'm sure impressed by the granny soccer players. I couldn't play soccer now, let alone when/if I reach 83! I note that the age range is 40 to 80's, so I'm not so impressed with the 40 year-olds. Buncha kids!

Baxter's video is touching. I love the idea of therapy animals, and met one once when visiting a hospitalized friend (not terminal, broken foot). She wasn't a dog lover and didn't care, so the dog sat in my lap for his visit, and I enjoyed it very much. I wish they hadn't used that song, though. That song accompanies a commercial for donations to some animal rescue group, I forget which one. It plays over and over here, with photos of abused animals, and I turn it off instantly every time it comes on. Good cause, very depressing (and long) commercial.

Your questions for the day are certainly intriguing. I'd guess there's a story behind them, and would love to know what it is. Hard to answer without knowing some particulars, but I'll give it a shot. If it was a really good friend and it would be really terrible for them, I would point out why it wasn't a good idea. OTOH, if it was just somebody I knew and it would be really great for me, I'd probably keep my trap shut and let them make their own decision. Of course in either case, I'd hope I was wrong and it would be good for both of us, so it might hinge on how sure I was of the possible outcomes. If I was asked point blank, I'd probably tell the truth. I like to think so, at any rate. {g}

dona said...

I agree with Pat on the questions of the day. Its hard to answer when you think there is a reason behind the questioning. But I agree that if I were asked point blank I would like to think I would tell it like it is including all negative parts. Its just the right thing to do.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am surprised neither you or Dona picked up on the reason I was asking the question. Think of my update last Saturday!

I couldn't play soccer when I was 20 and there isn't anyway I'd be able to play soccer at 82! That is why I love that woman.

I got see some therapy and assistance dogs go through training once as part of some charity work I was doing. They really were amazing. They could even predict seizures. They really are special. Sorry about the song, I didn't know.

I decided not to lie but to avoid answering the questions!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I was seeking advise from my good friends here without really mentioning the situation in case they read my blog!

Bill

Pat said...

Well, actually, I did consider that reason why you might be asking, but didn't know why it might be terrible for the other person, so decided it must be something else. Or just a philosophical question. Avoiding questions is a nice middle ground. {g}

Lady DR said...

Good for the grannies! Like Pat, I'm not sure I could play soccer now, let alone in twenty years. Still, I look at some folks I know and firmly believe the physical activity of almost any kind is a Good Thing. Bear in mind, I have folks in my aquacize class who are over ninety, many in their eighties. And a fair share of those in my line dance group are over eighty, but go two hours, almost non-stop. The first aquacize instructor I ever had was 74 when I joined her class. I truly believe the more physically active we are, as we get older, the better off we are -- maybe it lubricates both the body and the mind (g)

Baxter's story was wonderful. When we live in FL, I considered training Skeeter as a therapy dog. When we moved here, life happened and I'm not sure they'd accept her at this point, although she's like Baxter -- she's 14 with her own health issues. However, it's definitely something I'd consider in future, whether with Skeeter or another dog. Spook -- she's just waaay to ADHD to even be a candidate.

Your question... like Pat and Dona, I'm ambivilant. It would depend on the circumstances. I think (I hope) that if I knew it would benefit me and harm them, I'd try to subtly steer them in a different direction, without forcing the issue (back to "observe, accept, don't judge, don't force"). If asked point blank, I'd probably first respond, "What do you think?" If they didn't want to share that, but insisted on my answer, I'd probably be honest, trying to temper my response for their benefit. Then again, how would I know, for sure, whether it would benefit me and harm them? I guess a sort-of case in point is my ambivilance about Mom moving out to AZ and the fact I was glad that she and Deb pretty much made the decision and didn't ask my opinion or whether I had concerns. I do not want to be put in the position of making decisions for other people and, usually, don't want to be responsible for influencing those decisions. Quite frankly, in most cases, when I want someone else to tell me what they think I should do, it's because some part of me knows what I want to isn't quite right (shrug)

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Seeing the interaction between two people last night I could tell that there was a lot angst between the two and they really had a hard time not getting upset with the other. That made me think it wouldn't be good for either of them.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Physical activity is a great thing, I started doing some stretching exercises about for or five days ago and I can already see the difference. But playing soccer? Not now not in twenty years.

Believe or not they wanted to train Katie as a therapy cat to visit nursing homes. I just couldn't do it. The car thing was a little difficult. Skeeter would have been a great therapy dog!

I decided to stay out of it and whatever happens happens.

Bill

dona said...

Hey Bill, I kinda figured it may have something to do with that. That is why I said it is hard when you know there is a reason for the question. I just hated to tell you what to do. I am guessing (since you didn't say and no one else asked) that coming to Portland may not benefit sis? But since it will you in a great way......Mum's the word?

dona said...

oh and I know curiosity killed the cat...but I can't help myself....

William J. said...

Hi Dona

It may not be good for either of the women involved. The get together like oil and water. I just came from a second dinner out with them in two nights and it ended up the same. One not talking to the other.

Bill