Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday Update.

Happy Sunday. Looking forward to hearing about your lives today. I am not going to repeat what this day is about because you all know the drill. If you are new to the blog this is the day the blog becomes the readers' blog and you can post anything you darn well please. If you are new to the blog or have read the blog for a while and haven't posted please take an a minute or two and post an introduction.

Sis has been here since last Monday and left this morning to return to Utah. I was able to get out and about. Went to the coast one day for a nice lunch. I also went to two movies. Then I got some much needed rest. There were a couple of dinners out with Mom, Sis, and her husband. But on four days I disappeared in to the no contact zone for some pressure withdrawal and me time. Everything returns to normal this week.

The big event of the week is that I received a phone call from the CPA firm that I worked for last year. The one where on the first day of the job I fell and ended up with a concussion. The call was kind of unusual because most firms don't start getting their tax season staff together until late November. The firm offered me more money to come back to work for them. They also offered to pay for a tax seminar for me to attend. I was feeling pretty good about my abilities and the good work that I do until they said they wanted me back because without me there it was really boring. So they want me back not because I work hard and am smart but because I am not boring. Should I be flattered? I agreed to work for them three to four days a week. I go to the seminar in January and start work middle of February.

The entertainment updates: The Internet Dating couple was eliminated from The Amazing because they chose the wrong roadblock. Jennifer won a fifteen grand gift card from Macy's as the winner of this week's elimination challenge on Top Chef. She said she would use part of the prize to buy her cooking partner for this week, Kevin, a suit. Ashley got the axe from Top Chef. On Dancing With The Stars even though he got the votes to stay on the show Tom Delay gracefully dropped out of the show due to injury. There was an Internet rumor going around that ABC pushed Delay out the door because they attributed a drop in viewership to him being on it. Voted off of Dancing With The Stars this week was Debie Mazer. I was kind of hoping she would stay on a while longer and that Michael Irvin would be the one taking a hike.

The question for the day, would you rather be respected for your mind or because you aren't boring? The blog is now yours. Introduce yourself! Update me on you lives! Post anything you damn well please and have a day that isn't boring.

TODAY'S TRIVIA;

Yesterday's Answer: Jerry LeVias.

Today's Who Am I.

I am a novelist, poet, and essayist. I was born in 1953 in German speaking town in Romania. My dad served in WWII and my mother survived five years. in a Gulag slave labour camp in Ukraine in the Soviet Union after World War II. My writings have been translated into over twenty languages. In 1976 I began working as a translator for an engineering factory, but I dismissed in 1979 for my refusal to cooperate with thee Communist regime's secret police. After I dismissal she I earned a living by teaching kindergarten and giving private German lessons. My first book, published in 1982, was about a child's view of the German-cultural Banat. In 1987 I left Romania for West Berlin with my husband due to pressure of the Romanian government. I still live in Berlin. This year one of my novels was nominated for the German Book Prize and is now among the six finalists. This describes the journey of a young man to a Gulag concentration camp in the Soviet Union as an example for the fate of the German population in Transylvania after World War II. The President of The United States and I were recently in the news for the same reason. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Would I rather be respected for my mind or because "m not boring?

Hey, I'll take any respect I can get. And I think you should take it as a compliment, because they wouldn't offer you more money just for not being boring. [g]

Nothing new here. I don't think I'm boring, but my life sure is these days.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Well, shoot I was hoping they were offering more money just because I'm not boring then I wouldn't have to work that hard next year.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I am SO glad you got some "no contact" time this psat week, caught up on your rest and had some fun.

Would I rather be respected for my mind or not being boring? Both! As Pat says, I'd take it as a compliment -- you're getting more money because you're good at what you do and I suspect the "not boring" means you help others and make the work, as well as the workday, interesting.

My week? Scattered? Got the results of the biopsies and the temple is fine, but the lip is basil cell and surgery is scheduled for 11/3. Not the high point of my week. OTOH, physical went fine and Dr. B says I'm good to go for 10K miles or a year, so long as I get new blood tests in six weeks or so. This weekend I combined deep cleaning in the kitchen/family room, semi-deep in the downstairs, with hauling in the fall decorations and the bright fall silk flowers and leaves, along with my funky scarecrows and such have really perked up the house and my environmnt. A Good Thing.

Last summer, I picked up two folding screens at a garage sale. Each has three panels of five photo frames, if you can picture that. Lucite, instead of glass fronts. Sat down with my Picassa files and began printing photos, fiddling with mats or no mats. Have one panel done and it's great, if I do say so myself. Pictures of Mom and Dad, Daddy in uniform, Himself and I at our wedding reception, out in CO, old pix, recent pix... it's been good fun. I can change the pix whenever the mood strikes me -- doing all Christmas for the season, for example. And they'll hide the music equipment and two side chairs, until I can get the recliners sold (which has to happen before Christmas, or there's no place to put the tree!)

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I actually think that I would rather be thought of as not boring more than I would for being smart.

I made a lot of people laugh there as well as getting all the work done they gave me. One woman, Barbara, kept repeating things that I said to the boss. So it is kind of a compliment not to be considered boring.



My week? Scattered? Got the results of the biopsies and the temple is fine, but the lip is basil cell and surgery is scheduled for 11/3. Not the high point of my week. OTOH, physical went fine and Dr. B says I'm good to go for 10K miles or a year, so long as I get new blood tests in six weeks or so. This weekend I combined deep cleaning in the kitchen/family room, semi-deep in the downstairs, with hauling in the fall decorations and the bright fall silk flowers and leaves, along with my funky scarecrows and such have really perked up the house and my environmnt. A Good Thing.

You have been in my daily prayers since the results of your tests.

Wow are you creative and I am stunned that you already have one panel done. Great job!!

Bill

Mary said...

I think I'd like to be respected both for my brain and for not being boring. People who are just smart can be very boring.

I continue to be amazed at how different your work is than mine. You are going to start working in mid-February -- by then we'll have done over 60% of the returns we're going to do in my office, and I'll be getting back to more regular hours.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

The reason I start in Mid-February is that I am support staff. When I had my own practice about half the returns were done by mid-February, mostly the ones with refunds. Then the rest were done by April 1. At the firm I work at with their system an average indivdual tax return takes four to six hours, an average corporate return takes three or four days. When I was in my own office I would do as many at 15 a day, including interviews, etc.

You are right, a lot of really smart people are kind of boring. So I am going with not being boring!

Bill