Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hoarding

I'm taking another day off so today we have DR as a guest blogger with an interesting subject. Thank you DR for doing my work for me:

Why do we cling to the comfort of "old things," be they clothes or furniture or thoughts or beliefs or whatever? Kind of like the old joke about the husband not wanting to replace the couch or his recliner. I find myself more and more in sympathy with this man.
Is it because there are so many changes in our life and in the world around us we can't control? Does this make us want to cling to the familiar? And it's usually silly stuff, although not always. My chair in my office -- poor thing is almost twenty years old and used A Lot in the last ten years. The support straps are about gone, the cushion fabric is torn to where I have to cover it with blankets. I could certainly afford to buy a new chair or move one of the recliners (which I still haven't put on Craig's list!) up here, but I don't wanna. The chair is comfy and cozy and I've spent untold hours writing Morning Pages, meditating, reading and editing in it. Plus, it has an ottoman, where the Skeet curls up while I do all the aforementioned, as well as when I'm on the computer.
Then there's the old black velour housecoat. I have two new housecoats. The old one is worn thin, has a couple tears. Do I throw it out? No. I wear the new ones periodically, but when I want comfort and cozy, I drag out the old one, despite its flaws. Ditto clothes. I dutifully update my wardrobe with a couple or more new outfits each season, whether from a department store or garage sales (yes, they often have the styles I prefer), yet when I need to feel confident or comfortable or reassured, I reach for the outfits that are often ten years old or the jeans I've had for more years than I care to admit. Or the tee shirt that's ancient, but "feels good."

Himself wants to replace the kitchen stove, but I fight like a tiger for its cub. Yes, it's eccentric, but I like the fact it's oversized, as two ovens (even if one is a bit "touchy") and has counter space beside the burners. Yes, I know it can be replaced and probably make room for a small dishwasher, but I've been washing dishes for twelve years and what's the big deal about that?

I'd like to believe I'm simply being frugal and sensible, but I know it goes beyond that. Some of this represents a comfort zone and I don't want it messed up. It's interesting that, on the one hand, I have no hesitation decluttering and removing items that mean nothing, take up space, don't have any particular meaning, even though they may have monetary value. On the other hand, there are things that have no dollar value, have clearly passed their "sell by/use by" date and I refuse to part with them.

Anyone else have this secret vice or is it some unique quirk, maybe genetic or learned during my childhood? I'm pretty good about "something comes in, then something has to go out," but don't mess with my chair or housecoat or stove. There are just some things that are critical to my sense of well-being, even if it makes no sense. What do you have that you won't part with, regardless of its worth or condition?

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answer: The first woman to win the medal of honor, Mary Edwards Walker.

Today's Who Am 1?

Although I was the third wife of a famous novelist I have my own accomplishments having a journalist award named after me. Born in 1908 to half-Jewish parents, a dad that was a doctor and a mother that was a suffragette, I ended my life in 1998 by taking poison after a battle with cancer and losing most of my eyesight.. Walter, my brother, was a noted law proferssor at Columbia University. I left college before graduating to pursue a career as a journalist. My first articles appeared in The New Republic. In 1930 I was determined to become a foreign correspondent and went to France for two years where I worked at the United Press bureau in Paris. While in Europe I became active in the pacifist movement and wrote about my experiences. After returning to the US I was hired as an investigator for the Federal Emergency Relief Administration. I wrote about the impact of the Depression on the United States. Eleanor Roosevelt read my reports and we became lifelong friends. I first met the famous novelist during a 1936 Christmas family trip to Key West. We agreed to travel in Spain together to cover the Spanish Civil War. We celebrated Christmas of 1937 together in Barcelona. Later, from Germany, I reported on the rise of Adolf Hitler and in 1938 was in Czechoslovakia. After the outbreak of World War II, I described these events in the novel. I reported the war from Finland, Hong Kong, Burma, Singapore and Britain. Lacking official press credentials to witness the D-Day landings, I impersonated a stretcher bearer. I followed the war wherever I could reach it. I was among the first journalists to report from Dachau concentration camp after it was liberated. My husband hated my absences and asked me "Are you a war correspondent, or wife in my bed?" We divorced in 1945. After World War II I covered tthe Vietnam War, the Six-Day War in the Middle East and the civil wars in Central America. At age 81 I traveled impromptu to Panama, where I wrote of U.S. invasion. Only when the Bosnian war broke out in the 1990s I confess to being to old to go. I published books of fiction, travel writing and reportage. Some of my selected letters were published posthumously in 2006. I was a committed leftist throughout my life and was contemptuous of those who became more conservative. I considered the so-called objectivity of journalists “nonsense”, and used journalism to reflect my politics. Politically my two favorites were Israel and the Spanish Republic. I described myself as “hater” and attacked fascism, anti-communism, racism, Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and the Palestinians. Although I was only married twice I had countless lovers. "If I practiced sex, out of moral conviction, that was one thing; but to enjoy it ... seemed a defeat. I accompanied men and was accompanied in action, in the extrovert part of life; I plunged into that ... but not sex; that seemed to be their delight and all I got was a pleasure of being wanted, I suppose, and the tenderness (not nearly enough) that a man gives when he is satisfied. I daresay I was the worst bed partner in five continents." If the sun rises you should be able to tell me Who Am 1?

6 comments:

William J. said...

Hi DR

I keep old stuff for many reasons. I am to lazy to throw stuff out. I am easily emotionally attached to things. Like slot machines. I view myself as much younger. Plus sometimes I am mislead to believe that the Lionel electric train set and my third grade report card still have value.

Bill

dona said...

Hi DR, and I loved this post! Something I struggle with daily. I also have much I don't dare part with and most are just silly. I too have 10 years plus Old clothes that I wear over and over. I didn't used to wear things over and over but I think I will blame that on the situation at hand(having little space for 6 years)

But before I did "hang on" to lots of things, whether it was sentimental or who knows the reasons. I still have all my sons baby clothes, my maternity clothes even though I sort of knew I would never have another child, I still kept them. Heck I liked them. (Corduroy maternity bell bottoms..who wouldn't love em?)
I also had several of my favorite hippie clothes from high school and my platform shoes as well. Why I have no idea as I have only worn support comfortable tennis shoes since 1992.

Did I think I would some how transform into the size I was in in high school and dare to wear these clothes again? I have no clue why we keep some things.

I think too it is something we may learn from others. My mother and Favorite Aunt were hoarders. Under Control Hoarders I say. In 2003 when we moved my Aunt from her apartment of more than 25 years..it was apparent how much of a hoarder she was. But yet she still kept her apartment clean and under control. But in the backs of the closets and cabinets you would not believe the things we found that she kept. And most were on the ridiculous to my eyes. But I realized I had been keeping some of the same things. The same thing happened when I came here with my mother.

It was then I decided I was not going to let my child have to go through this with my things, and I think coming here suddenly helped me to "get rid" of the things I held onto for so long.

I do have a Pepsi Sweatshirt I got with pepsi points from Pepsi cartons I believe in the early 80's. The sleeves are torn at the wrists and are so overly stretched out its ridiculous. I wore it just Monday and realized the threading on the P of Pepsi was coming out and I thought I would freak til I fixed it.

Also the Shankster tells me I still have him after 29 years, and with all that is falling apart on him and the hair falling out, that is more than ridiculous. That's ok, I think some things just get better with age. :)

Pat said...

Well, let's see here... I, like almost everyone else in this country, have waaaay too many "things". A good many of them are still hanging around just because I'm lazy. A few are sitting in the garage waiting for me to drum up the ambition to take them to Goodwill or to the Recycle Center. I hate my stove, but it will be hard to replace because of the way it's set in, and I'm just too lazy to get into tearing up the kitchen.

I have far too many clothes, some at least 20 years old, including one velour robe that I will probably never give up until it falls to tatters. I have other robes, but that one remains my favorite. Most of said clothes are pretty much the same, only in different fabrics, colors, patterns. You just never know when you'll want to wear...(fill in the blank). But because I get bored with them after 10 years or so, I buy new things. Lately mostly at thrift shops, since I need nothing at all. I try to give something away each time I buy something new, but I'm afraid I fall short.

I still have all my sound editing equipment taking up far too much space. I thought I might use it for something new, like editing audio books, but it hasn't been turned on for six years now. It was all in working order when last heard from, but it's obsolete and wouldn't be worth trying to sell. So I hold on.

This reminds me... I should haul out that breadmaker that takes up closet space and add it to the Goodwill pile in the garage. Heavy sigh.

William J. said...

Wow DR

Are you ever ahead of the curve. Today's Oprah's show is about hoarding.

Bill

Lady DR said...

>> Ahead of the curve<<

Yeah, well, remember, I was country before country was cool (g).

I don't know that I hoard stuff. I really do pitch a lot of stuff, when I'm in the mood. It's just that some things are comfort issues, like the chair and housecoat (and I was delighted to see Pat has a velour housecoat she's also going to keep until it's in tatters. And if you set up your Lionel train set and play with it, Bill, don't ever part with it. (And if you don't, why not?)

Dona, I hear you on having to get rid of stuff. We did a lot of downsizing of furniture and possessons when we moved into a house half the size of the one we left. Still, like everyone else, we have too much stuff, more than we need. There are a lot of things I have no compunction about getting rid of, when I make time to put ads in the paper or on Craig's list or whatever. Still, there are things that I simply will not part with.

OTOH, your pepsi shirt sounds like my Girl's State sweatshirt from 1963... of course I still have it. As to the Shankster, yeah, somethings really do improve with age, even if they have maintenance issues (g).

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I laughed pretty hard at your Shankster comments.

Bill