Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hooters & Dancing Till Dahn.

First the feel good story of the week a week early. One man's journey to find the person that saved his life:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/10/more_than_60_years_after_the_r.html

Now on to a somewhat controversial subject. A man that writes a parenting blog took his wife and eleven year-old son to Hooters after the son's football game. He then wrote about the experience on his blog. He was hammered by posters. He also received support. At first I was in the "it is the wrong thing to do to take a boy that young to Hooters" camp but after reading his defense in a column in today's USA Today I am not so sure. Read the column here:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/10/column-sex-ed-and-a-trip-to-hooters-.html

Now on to Dancing With The Stars. This was without a doubt the best performance week this season. The dancing was just top notch. The judges, even Len the Grouch, were really nice. If memory serves me correctly the lowest score was twenty-one. Three stars tied for the high score. If the performance shows continue like this the audience will come back! Now on to the results show. Highlight was the tribute to Michael Jackson with the professionals dancing to Thriller using all the famous Jackson moves. Top notch entertainment. The lowlight was the elimination of Natalie. It should have been either Louie, Aaron, or Michael. I hope one of them goes next week.

I am looking forward to Top Chef tonight and maybe this is the week Robin goes. Or maybe the guy whose goat she gets the most, Michael I will go. Remember tonight it is restaurant wars.

Questions for the day. Is Hooters an appropriate place to take an eleven year-old boy? After reading the dad's reasoning, does that change your mind? And would you search for over sixty years for the person that saved you life?

TODAY'S TRIIVIA:

Yesterday's answers:

Mr. Mom, Tootsie, and Young Frankenstein. Besides all had Teri Garr in them.

General Electric Theater, Death Valley Days, and The First Patsy Awards were all hosted by Ronald Reagan.

A balloon, a cork, and a question can all be popped.

Angel, Ribbon, and Glass are all waterfalls.

Monkey wrench, mason jar, & Morse Code were all named after their inventor.

Today's Who Am I?

Born in New York in 1830 I was an attorney, politician, educator and author. I worked for for women's rights before the term feminist was not in use. I overcame many social and personal obstacles related to gender restrictions. After college, I became a teacher and principal, working to equalize pay for women in education. In 1879 I became the first woman to be allowed to perform before a legal body. I also ran for president of the United States. I started teaching by age 14 and married my first husband at age 18. My first husband died five years into our marriage, three years after our daughter was born. I was left with no money and quickly realized that I needed a better education to support my daughter and I. I graduated with with honors in 1857 and soon became the headmistress of a school. I found that whether I was teaching or working as an administrator I was paid half of what my male counterparts were. In 1866 we moved to Washington D.C., as I believed it was the center of power in the United States and would provide good opportunities to advance in the legal profession. I remarried to an older man in 1868. We had a daughter together but she died before she was two. I was refused admittance to one law school as the staff believed I would be adistraction to male students. I later was admitted to what is now e George Washington University Law School) along with several other women. I completed my studies in 1873 though the law school was unwilling to grant a diploma to a woman. Thanks to President Grant's interference I received my diploma later that year. I an anti-discrimination bill to have the same access to the bar as male colleagues. From 1874 to 1879 I lobbied Congress to pass it. It was signed into law by President Rutherford B. Hayes. It allowed all qualified women attorneys to practice in any federal court. In my later life I was a well-respected writer. I strongly believed in working for world peace co-editing a journal called The Peacemaker. I in 1917 and was buried in Congressional Cemetery in Washington, D.C. Among by awards is several communities were named after me, a merchant marine ship was named after me and in in the nineteen eighties I was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame. My inscription reads: "Using her knowledge of the law, she worked to secure woman suffrage, property law reforms, equal pay for equal work, and world peace. Thriving on publicity and partisanship, and encouraging other women to pursue legal careers, She helped to open the legal profession to women." Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Nice feel good story. Too bad it took so long. Would I search that long? Yeah, I probably would.

About Hooters, frankly, I think the whole controversy is silly. The kid is 11. As one commenter is reported to have said, he's seen that much or more skin on the street, the beach, on tv. If the dad hadn't tried to turn it into some kind of weird learning experience, the boys probably would have enjoyed their hamburgers, and maybe a little waitress ogling, and thought no more about it.

I'll admit to never having eaten at a Hooter's, but there's one next door to our favorite Japanese restaurant, and we've all peeked into their many windows to see what the big deal is. It isn't much. Tank tops and really, really short shorts. Lots of big tvs showing (yawn) sports. Dad is making a big deal out of nothing. And so are the people getting all fired up about it.

I just read an article about how DWTS ratings have plummeted this year. I'm not surprised, as I've lost interest myself. They blame the low level of celebrity, and maybe that's part of it. Mostly, for me, it's 'been there, done that'. The show is too long, too full of just "fill", and two nights is too much. I still like "So You Think You Can Dance", especially the tryout shows, where there's a nice mix of really talented dancers and bad wannabe ones. Still no fave on Top Chef.

Lady DR said...

Yea, another feel good story. Talk about dedication and perserverance. Would I look that long for someone who saved my life? Probably. As he said, the man not only saved his life, but gave him a lifetime of love and children and grandchildren, which is quite a gift.

The Hooters thing... ambivalent, I think. Not sure what point he originally tried to make by posting it on his blog. Not surprised he got some nasty feedback. OTOH, it sounds like both is parents were there, his grandfather, another boy and parents and even the coaches of the football team. Ergo, seems the boys were included in a gathering after the game that included others of the team. If in seven or eight years, someone gets all excited about going to Hooters, the kid may well say, "Been there, done that," rather than "Hot D*mn" and that would be a good thing (g).

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am not sure if I would be that dedicated. I'd make some efforts for a month or two then I probably would put it in the back burner and once in a while check to see if I could find him.

He has definetly seen worse on TV and I agree it isn't a big deal. I've been there maybe four times and every single time it has been with a married friend that wanted to check it out. My single friends would rather go to a game or somewhere else to dance or meet someone they actually have a chance with. And the food it really pretty good. Especially their chicken wings.

The ratings tanked for DWTS mostly because the cast has been extremely boring. Having Delay on ticked off what is mostly a liberal audience.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I will post the feel good stories as I see them and if I don't see one will look in the archives. He gave him the gift of life, no more valuable gift than that.

He post the Hooters thing on his blog because he blog is about parenting and there was a discussion about sex ed and he used that as an example. Yes, the mother's comments about not wanting him to look at women as objects which could definitely lead to the been there done that attitude.

Bill

Mary said...

I don't think I would take an 11 year old boy to Hooters. But my good friend, who is an excellent mom, and way more conservative than me, took her 17 year old son there for his birthday along with her six year old daughter and thought it was no big deal. To each his own, I guess. Joe has been there a couple times with friends, and my impression is it's more the saying you were there than anything that actually happens while you're there.

We used to have a Hooters right near my office. Those girls came in in their short shorts to get their taxes done, and they were darling. Just regular girls who happen to be exceptionally cute and are making better money because of that. I wouldn't want my daughter working there, but I certainly couldn't criticize them for taking advantage of their, ahem, talents.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I've done the tax returns from some exotic dancers and like the waitresses they were really nice and cut and were usually working that job because of a way some man had treated, dumped them and disappeared left them home with kid or kids to support and they had little education where they could get a job that would pay anywhere near what they were making.

And nothing happens at Hooters that doesn't happen at any restaurant. Probably less actually because the staff is watched more.

Bill