Monday, October 12, 2009

"The Only Girl I Loved"

A real love story, read it, smile , then shed a tear for one of the great loves of our time:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/10/portland_couple_built_a_love_t.html

On to a lighter tone. According to The Edge Column in the October 9, 2009 Oregonian the average number of hours a week of housekeeping a live-in boyfriend does is 10, while the average number of hours a week of housekeeping a husband does is 9. Also in the same column, the number of pairs of underwear the average American man owns is 15. While the average number of holes he will have in his underwear before tossing them is 7. And remember if Snoop Dogg married Scooby Doo, he'd be Snoop Dogg-Doo.

There are some phrases that are often used wrong, do you know what I mean? Or couldn't you care less? In a fun article, author Jeremy Taylor gives us eight phrases that we use and then describes what we really mean. The phrase that hit number one on the list was "you could care less" when you really mean you couldn't care less. It begs the question and let's table this are other examples that he uses as phrases we frequently use wrong. You can read the entire articles here:

http://www.asylum.com/2009/10/06/phrases-that-dont-mean-what-you-think-they-mean/?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asylum.com%2F2009%2F10%2F06%2Fphrases-that-dont-mean-what-you-think-they-mean%2F

This brings to mind something that I noticed the last couple of times I went to the movies. Before the previews came on there was always a warning "this preview has been approved for all audiences." That phrase as now been replaced with "this preview has been approved for appropriate audiences." What the heck is an appropriate audience? All three year-olds? All people over 100? Drives me nuts.

Questions of the day. Are you surprised that men do less housework after they get married? Does it shock you that we own fifteen pairs of underwear and won't ditch them before they have seven holes in them? What phrases on Mr. Taylor's list do you agree with? What phrases would you add to the list? I want you all to know that this blog entry has been approved for appropriate audiences. Are you appropriate?

TODAY'S TRIVIA;

Yesterday's answer: Herta Mueller

I was born in 1825. I was a well-versed public speaker on the paramount issues of my time, and distinguished myself from my contemporaries with her use of religious faith in my efforts to expand women's rights. After daring to inject a prayer into my family's religious observance, I was accepted into my family's branch of the Congregational Church at age nine. Shortly after becoming a member of the congregation I began to preach during Sunday meetings. At the age of sixteen I taught school. I was not content to be a schoolmarm so I wanted to receive a degree in theology and wanted to start a career in the pulpit. Despite the college administration opposed the idea of a woman engaging in any kind of formal theological learning and training the college eventually capitulated but with a specific set of pre-conditions. I could enroll in the courses, but she was not to receive formal recognition. Despite the stipulations made regarding my participation in the theology course I was a prolific writer and charismatic public speaker. I believed that the Bible and its various pronouncements about women were for a specific span of time and certainly not applicable to the 19th century. Without a preaching license following graduation I decided to pause my ministerial ambitions to write for an abolitionist paper, The North Star. I spoke in 1850 at the first National Women's Rights Convention. I eventually given a license to preach in 1851. At my ordination Pastor Lee delivered a sermon testifying to my suitability as a preacher and my calling from God. Unfortunate I failed in my first ministerial appointment. Following my separation from the ministry I focused on women's rights issues. Many women's rights activists opposed religion on the basis that it served to oppress women but I was steadfast in my belief that women's active participation in religion could serve to further their status in society. Unlike many of my peers I cared more about improving women's status in society than for suffrage. I believed that the inherent differences between men and women limited men's effectiveness in representing women in politics; thus suffrage, would have little positive impact for women, unless it was coupled with tangible leadership opportunities. Despite believing a single woman had more independence I married in 1856. We had seven children, two dying in infancy. Family obligations lead me to quit lecturing and start writing. My writing was my outlet for initiation positive change for women; I encouraged women to seek out masculine professions, and asked men to share in household duties. In 1875 I wrote The Sexes Throughout Nature. I argued that evolution resulted in two sexes that were different but equal. At the last National Woman’s Rights Convention held before the outbreak of the civil war I engaged in the heated debate about divorce with her colleagues and contemporaries, Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. I was a staunch abolitionist and suffragette but supported the passage of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, which did not include the right of free women to vote. In 1920, at age 95, I was the only participant of the 1850 Women's Rights Convention in Worcester, Massachusetts, to see the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote. I died the next year. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Questions of the day... I'm surprised that men do any housework at all. It's been a long time since I dealt with men's undies, but I can't say that information surprises me.

I certainly agree with Mr. Taylor's take on "I could care less". That one has always made me twitch. And yes, it's funny that we all say, essentially, Personal Identification Number number. I know that "nauseous" is used wrong most of the time, but I'm probably guilty of using it that way myself. At least it's easily understood. I had also heard that "tabling" something meant just the opposite outside the U.S., but I pretty much ignore that. Doing a 360 to me means coming full circle, so I guess I agree with him on that one. I'd use "lion's share" to mean "most", but he's nitpicking there.

Can't think of any to add right offhand.

I have no idea what an "appropriate" audience would be, but in my ignorance, I consider myself appropriate.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Most of my married friends except three or four do help with the housework but they pretty much are lawn mowers instated of vaccumers.

PIN kind of got to me too. 360 does mean coming full circle, maybe we should ccome 180. And I agree lion's share is nitpicking.

And you are appropriate!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Not a bit surprised about the housework issues. And, at the risk of being hard to get along with, I don't consider yard work to be housework. Mowing isn't done near as often and observation shows me most gardening, landscaping and anything beyond the riding mower are done by women.

Housework encompasses the daily/weekly duties and routines such as cooking, washing up, vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing the bathroom, laundry, ironing, grocery shopping, etc. ad nauseum. Now, I know you do these things, but you really are an exception, as well as being exceptional, Bill. And I know/knew some single guys who also did this stuff. However, I know a lot more who hired a weekly housekeeper and, after marriage or a live-in situation, the extent of "housework" was throwing a steak or hamburger on the grill, occasionally doing the dishes and sometimes getting their dirty clothes close to the hamper. The stats on undies don't surprise me at all. (wry s).

"I could care less" drives me a bit twitchy, as it does Pat. PIN I consider a complete statement, but it amazes me the number of folks, including those who issue PINs, who add number. Despite being mathmatically challenged (I really don't like playing with numbers), I do get the 180 vs 360 quite clearly.

"Appropriate" audience -- does this mean each individual is to use their own discretion in deciding what's "appropriate" for them or their children to watch, thus removing any responsibility for the content of a program/film/
whatever? I believe myelf to be an appropriate viewer/contributor to your blog. I do not consider myself an appropriate viewer for hate-mongering messages/videos/ads and the like or for violent movies or erotic books. Is that where they're going?

William J. said...

Hi DR

Oh I don't consider mowing to be housekeeping but I do consider it to be a household dutie and what I meant by my comment was in some marriages of my friends they split the duties, inside the wife, outside the husband.

PIN didn't bother me until I read the article.

I was actually shocked at the movies when they used the phrase appropriate audience. Made no sense to me.

You are not only an appropriate contributer to the blog you are a vaulable one.

Bill