Sunday, October 18, 2009

Updates

Not much to update you on this week that we haven't already discussed. I am anxious to hear how things are with all of you and how things are going in your lives. Now some entertainment updates.

On Dancing With The Stars Chuck was eliminated. He and Aaron were in the bottom two. The drama right now on Dancing With The Stars is just how long is Michael Irvin going to last. Some news about old Dancing With The Stars contestants. Mellissa Rycoff has the swine flu, we wish her well in her recovery. Gilles the hunk from last season is joining the cast of Brothers and Sisters.

On Top Chef Ash was eliminated. He was in the bottom with Robin and a couple of the other contestants. The drama now on Top Chef is just how long is Robin going to last. All the contestants have wanted her to go for weeks now. She just keeps hanging in there. It is driving Michael I nuts, which in my mind isn't a bad thing. I am rooting for Jennifer to win, I've kind of developed a crush on her.

On the Amazing Race Zev and Justin were eliminated despite finishing first. When they finished first they discovered one of their passports was missing and since they couldn't find the passport before the last team arrived they got the boot. I was kind of sad because I really liked the respect they had for each other and how they treated each other. Anyone else wonder how long the poker players are going to last?

I don't know how I can do an entertainment update without mentioning the Balloon Boy. I am in the hoax camp. Even if it isn't a hoax I wonder about the father's parenting skills. What kind of father would parade a son out there minutes after a traumatic experience?

Do you think Balloon Boy is hoax? Who do you want to win Top Chef? Amazing Race? Dancing With The Stars? The blog is now yours. Post anything you damn well please!

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answer: Marek Edelman

I was born in 1842 and died in 1911. I was an environmental chemist in the United States in the 1800s, pioneering the field of home economics. I attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and later taught there. I was a "pragmatic" feminist, as well as a founding "ecofeminist" who believed that women's work within the home was a vital aspect of the economy. I would have been awarded the first doctoral degree but MIT balked at granting this distinction to a woman, and did not award its first doctorate until 1886. I married in 1875 the chairman of the Mine Engineering Department at MIT. I paved the way for women to be admitted to MIT in 1883. I was a consulting chemist for the Massachusetts State Board of Health from 1872 to 1875 and the official water analyst from 1887 until 1897. My interest in the environment led in 1892 to introduce into English the word ecology which had been coined in German to describe the "household of nature" My' interests also included applying scientific principles to domestic situations, such as nutrition, clothing, physical fitness, sanitation, and efficient home management, creating the field of home economics. In 1908, I was chosen to be the first president of the American Home Economics Association. I was a founding member of the AAUW which today has more than 100,000 members, 1,300 branches, and 500 college and university partners nationwide. In my honor, MIT designated a room in the main buildings for the use of women students, and in 1973, on the occasion of the hundredth anniversary of my graduation, established a Professorship for distinguished female faculty members that was named after me. Who Am I?

10 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Zev and Justin were my favorite team, so I'm going to have to check out the rest tonight and see who I'm rooting for now.

I gave up on Dancing with the Stars, so don't know who's on it this time.

I don't have a favorite in Top Chef, but I'm really tired of both brothers. I'd like them more if one of them would SMILE once in awhile.

As for balloon boy, now that we know the boy was never in danger,I could care less. I'm just angry that so much news time has been spent on the story. If it was a hoax, all the news media is playing into it. If it's not, they're being hounded unfairly.

Pat said...

I was sorry to see Zev & Justin go, too, though I wouldn't have known their names today if it weren't for your blog. I'm still watching all those shows, except DWTS, which I only surf to occasionally, but haven't gotten invested in any of them enough to remember all the contestants' names. On both Top Chef and Project Runway, I think the judges are either biased or stupid. I mostly don't like their decisions on who should go.

This morning, the news has it that law enforcement has decided the balloon boy thing was a hoax. Parents will be indicted for something like contributing to the delinquency of a minor and misleading law enforcement. That's not verbatim, just what I remember from radio news. They should throw the book at the parents, notably the father.

William J. said...

Hi Bev

I'm not sure who to root for now. There is something dislikable about all the remaining teams on The Amazing Race.

The brothers are good chefs but they kind of annoy me and their egos as well as the other Michael are way off the charts. This week it is restaurant wars and the brother appear to be on the same team and Robin and the other Michael appear to be on the other team. A set up for disaster.

I can think of a ton of subjects that deserve more news coverage than the Balloon Boy.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I have to admit that I looked up Zev and Justin's name on the Internet before posting.

I agree with about the judges on Top Chef. I don't watch Project Runway so can't comment on the judges. On Top Chef I think the judges have their favorites and no matter what the favorites do they make sure they stay on.

If the Ballon Boy turns out to be a hoax I agree with you about the parents and the father. The father should go to jail for a very long time.

Bill

dona said...

Zev & Justin were my favs to win so I am just a bit bummed about even watching the show. But I am sure I will. And I am not really rooting for the poker players. So I guess I will have to watch more to figure out my next favs to win....maybe the dad and son team?

On DWTS, I really hope for Donnie...maybe I have a crush too...:)

On Top Chef, I am tired of the brothers too, although I am bettin either one or maybe both will be in the finals. I think Jennifer is just likable, cause I have been rooting for her since the first.

And I think the judges are a bit stupid too, especially on Project Runway.

I did think the Balloon Boy was a hoax from the first. Don't know why I had never heard of them before, even though it seems they like to be in the limelight. I also think its gotten way more attention than was needed and if it was a hoax, I hope they get what's coming. It is just ridiculous what some idiot parents are doing to their kids nowadays.

Lady DR said...

All I know about the balloon boy is brief bits, which indicate he was hiding in the attic throughout the whole thing. Where the heck did the "high test" balloon come from? From comments here, it seems the father released it and then reported his son was in it? My concern is that hoaxes like this dilute the public's belief in and concern for true missing children reports and concerns.

HoHum here. Rain, dark, cold, windy, except for Tuesday. Nice drive up to Chapel Hills NC, although eight hours in a car to discover the wife apparently made arrangements without telling her husband (who had a stroke) she was looking to sell his equipment. The poor man has aphasia and the only thing he was very clear about was that we were not taking so much as a piece of cable out of his house. A sad situation. His thoughts and communication are trapped inside, which are obviously very frustrating for him, and she's very frustrated with caring for a man with whom she can't communicate and for whom she's a full time caregiver.

Otherwise it's the typical mad, gay whirl of editing, teaching, domestics and paperwork (wry s). Oh, and getting the motor mounts and a couple smaller items repaired on the Focus. I no longer feel like I'm herding a cattle car down a rail line with missing ties.

William J. said...

Hi Dona!!!

It seems like Zev & Justin were all of our favorite teams! The dad and son team could easily become my favorite too!

I like Donnie on DWTS and hope he is in the finals and because Len seems to have it in for Mia I want her in the finals too.

On Top Chef I am not only tired of the brothers I am also tired of the other Michael. If I was a betting man I would bet the brothers and Jennifer are the final three. I'm not sure who I would pick as the fourth.
ially on Project Runway.

The Balloon Boy's family was on Wife Swap so the do like the spotlight and according to an interview I saw with his ex business partner she said the minute she saw it was him on TV she thought publicity stunt.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

The Father built the ballon in his backyard. Apparantly when it was supposed to be tethered when they released it and it wasn't. It concerns be not only for the real cases of missing children but also the exploitation of children by some parents.

We had a major rain, thunder lightening storm here yesterday.

What a terrible situation you ran into in N.C. We all know how hard it is for both the wife and husband!

Glad your car is in good shape now!


Bill

Mary said...

I heard that when the balloon got loose the parents called the local TV station first, and 911 second. That kind of tipped me off right there, don't you think?

William J. said...

Hi Mary

It was a big clue but then later someone said calling the station first made sense because they could get a helicopter up in the air right away. Now I just think 911 was an afterthought.

Bill