Sunday, November 8, 2009

Two For The Price Of One

Today you get two good stories for the price of one. The second story is quite long so if you aren't a gardener best skip it. The first story is a love story that will touch your heart.

http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/11/09/newlyweds-have-181-years-between-them/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemondrop.com%2F2009%2F11%2F09%2Fnewlyweds-have-181-years-between-them%2F

http://www.oregonlive.com/O/index.ssf/2009/11/students_at_terra_nova_high_sc.html

Now my update. First please send good thoughts and vibes to my friend Dan. His wife lost her long battle with breast cancer this week. I will be attending the memorial this coming Friday. She was about the nicest person you could ever meet. He is a great guy and I know this is going to be really hard for him.

Latest news on sister is that they will start this direction November 18. She did have some second thoughts about the move which in my mind is completely normal. She was worried about leaving her daughter and grandkids behind. I told my Mom that if she changed her mind that I would buy the house from her and resell it. I just didn't want my sister to feel stuck in something she couldn't get out of. However, before mom could make that offer the mood changed and the last time we talked sis is very excited about coming up. Bless her heart she told Mom she is going to go out of the way to help me.

Entertainment updates. No Top Chef this week. They did an all star reunion that really wasn't all that entertaining. Two cooks from each season. No competition. A five course meal. Boring. On Dancing With The Stars? Michael and Mark got sent packing. I am really getting upset with Len the judge. He really has it in for Mia who I think is one of the best dancers. He consistently scores her lower than the other judges. If it was once in a while maybe I would understand it but every single week Bruno and Carryann (sp) give her 8 to 10 and he gives her a seven at best. I can't help but wonder what in the world he did to her or she to him. Eliminated on The Amazing Race were the poker Queens. Well they weren't really eliminated they willingly dropped out of the race when they couldn't complete a task. Two weeks in a row now the elimination was because someone couldn't complete a task. Last week out of fear. This week out of ability.

Your turn. Tell me about your lives. Update us on what is going on with you. Since this is your day on the blog, post anything you damn well please.

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answer: Sarah Caldwell

I was born in the Blue Grass State in 1921. I was the daughter of a coal mine operator. My parents were divorced. I lived a childhood of poverty and unhappiness. I worked my way through college and graduated as a Phi Beta Kappa economics major. During the next six years I won a scholarship and received a Ph.D. I married a fellow economist. I followed my husband to various academic positions. I co-authored an economics textbook. Through my research and publications in the field of gerontology I became America's leading authority on the economics of aging. In 1971 I published the first book inspired by the nascent women's movement to analyze women's labor force participation and to correlate that rate to women's persistent responsibility for household work. I pointed out that society expects that women "meet this obligation regardless of the demands of their market jobs - a career constraint not imposed upon men." I did also criticize women themselves for continuing to enter lower status, lower paid "feminine" occupations such as clerical work and elementary school teaching. I later became the first woman to become a James B. Duke professor. One year the peanut man from Georgia in his role as top dog appointed me to a cabinet position. My goals in that position were to make a contribution to economic policy formulation, that may be one that made a difference in the image of professional women. Despite sometimes being labeled a token woman I made a significant contributions to the study of women and economics. I supported flextime, maternity and paternity leave, permanent reduced work loads, and other creative labor arrangements. I hold honorary degrees from many universities, including the University of Kentucky, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Berea College, and the University of Rochester. My many awards and honors include Ladies Home Journal Woman of the Year; the first recipient of Duke University's Alumni Award in 1983; the Charles Waldo Haskins Award from New York University; the North Carolina Public Service Award, the Industry Achievement Award by the National Association of Bank Women, the Duke University Medal for Distinguished Service, and the first recipient of the Corporate Governors Award from the National Association of Corporate Directors. Who Am I?

2 comments:

Pat said...

First, good wishes to your friend Dan. It'll be hard for him for a while.

Next, touch my heart? Nah. I think getting married in your 90s is insane, unless it's for financial security or a caregiver, and that's not very touching. I did enjoy the statement that she had "a spout" of dizziness...

I'm not watching DWTS any more, but is Len hard on Mya because she's too entertaining and not following his "rules"? There was a letter in TV Guide saying that some of us actually know the steps to the tango, rhumba, etc., and that's NOT what they're doing. The writer also asks "who tangos to rock music?", which I think is a good question.

Glad your sister is sticking to the plan!

Nothing much new around here. There's a new woman at Las Casitas, who everybody likes a lot. Very sweet woman. Today, she had a little attack, which may have been anxiety, and it was nice to see how sweet the staffers all were to her, along with the medical stuff w/blood pressure, pulse, O2 sat, and all that. She was fine, if a little shaky, when I left.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I guess I view the marriage completely differently than you. I think love is a good reason to get married at any age and I love that the couple did what they wanted to do despite their age and didn't let their age get in the way.

The staff at Las Casitas has always been very caring. I hope the new lady recovers from here attaack and adjusts to her new home.

I actually agree with the article in TV guide. They don't do appropria steps to the appropriate music. That is one reason why Len's scores of Mia doesn't make sense. The dancers before and after her will make worse steps then her and he gives them great scores for doing the exact same thing Mia does and not as well as she does.

Bill