Monday, November 16, 2009

Do You Want A Job?

According to The Edge Column in today's Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/) there may be some jobs that you would prefer unemployment. Their information came from careers.net. The following are jobs that you might not want. These are real jobs:

Roadkill collector.

Manure Inspector.

Portable Toilet cleaner.

Crime Scene Cleaner.

Ape-Urine Collector.

Deconstruction Worker.

Dentist.

Yes, dentist was on the list of jobs that people would prefer unemployment to. Would you want any of the above jobs? Or does unemployment sound more attractive? Are there jobs not listed above that you wouldn't take? What would be your ideal job?

None of the above jobs sound attractive to me. My ideal job would be a motivational speaker. Your turn.

TODAY'S WHO AM I?

Being an optimistic daughter won me the Pulitzer Prize. I was born in 1909 in Mississippi to a school teacher and an insurance salesma. I lived most of my life in the home they built. I had two brothers. I later donated that home to The Mississippi Department of Archives & History in my parents' honor. I attended several colleges including Columbia where I was captain of the women's water polo team. I died of pneumonia at the age of 92. I was an author, a photographer, and a teacher of creative writing. On my own time I took some memorable photographs during the Great Depression of people from all economic and social classes. That collection of photographs was published in 1971 and 1989. My photography was the basis for several of my short stories, including one inspired by a woman I photographed ironing in the back of a small post office. I was mentored by Katherine Anne Porter. In 1998 I was the first living author to have my works published by the Library Of America. I won many awards including the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The name of an Internet email program developed by Steve Dorner was inspired by one of my short stories. Each October a women's college hosts a Writers' Symposium bearing my name to promote and celebrate the work of contemporary Southern writers. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Funny job list, and no, I wouldn't want any of those jobs, including dentist. As an aside, when I first went onto Compuserve, lo these many years ago, I somehow made email contact with a woman somewhere in the southeast who said she was called the "Quicker Picker-Upper" in her work picking up bodies on the highway. Now I can't remember if it was just roadkill or after traffic accidents, or maybe both. Whatever, I have to say I was impressed with her job, but didn't want to compete with her.

What job would I like now? Hmmm... something undemanding. No more pressure or tight deadlines. I thought I might like to edit audio books in my retirement, since I had the equipment to do it, but when I found out how little it paid, I decided to just live on my fixed income.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I love the story about the quicker picker upper. And now that you mention it I wouldn't know how to edit books on tape but I wouldn't mind a job reading the books to be transferred to tape!

Bill

Pat said...

Bill, there are volunteer opportunities for reading for the blind, if that's your pleasure. I've thought about that, too. I wouldn't be nearly as good as a trained actor, but I do know how to read without stumbling.

Editing audio books is a pretty basic sound job. Getting rid of wheezy breaths, tongue clicks, false starts and word-stumbles. Making sure the audio is clean and properly spaced.

Lady DR said...

Can't say as how any of the listed jobs hold a great deal of appeal (wry s). I was a dental ass't for a year, wouldn't care to go back to even that. Nope.

I think I'm very fortunate in having what's close to the perfect job for me with my editorial business. Since I've been doing it for twenty years, it obviously suits. Motivational speaker appeals to me and so does being a psychotherapist.

Like you and Pat, I've thought about reading for taped books, but haven't pursued it. Around here, it's a volunteer position, from what I understand. Maybe when I retire... if I can still read and speak at ninety.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

While I was thinking more about acting and reading a David Baldacci novel and dining in expensive places on my royalties reading for the blind is an absolutely great idea and I plan on looking into it.

And I think you downplay your skills!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

You would be a great motivational speaker or psychotherapist!


Bill