Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Events On The Horizon

Another busy day so just a short post today. I hope to be back to a normal schedule with all my work completed and healed from blog block by Friday. Be patient with me until then!!

I wanted to mention to all the Susan Boyle fans out there that she will be on the Dancing With The Stars Results Show tonight. She will sing the song that made her famous. One of my favorites, Michael Buble, will also be appearing on the show. Turn into ABC tonight at 9PM, 8PM Central Time.

Top Chef returns this Wednesday night. The challenge is going to be breakfast in bed! All you breakfast fans out there need to tune in for what may be some great breakfast recipes! It will be on Bravo this Wednesday night at 10PM, 9PM Central. If you have Bravo on HD then you can catch it at 7PM, 6PM Central.

Before yesterday's answers from Kaye, I wanted to ask you all to send good vibes, prayers if that is your choice, good thoughts, and anything you can muster her direction. Kaye's mom is going to the doctor for some tests, let's all root for positive results!

Two questions for the day, what is your favorite meal of the day and who are your favorite singers?

The answers to yesterday's questions!

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. Boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward. Niagara Falls (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside. Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

6. Three English words beginning with dw. Dwarf, dwell and dwindle.. (Isn't "Dweeb" a word?)

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "S". Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.

TODAY'S WHO AM I?

This one is from DR.

I was born in 1907 and died in 2000. I was the fourth woman elected to the senate and the tenth woman to serve in the body. My husband and I are regarded as the United States' first husband-wife Senate legislative team. I graduated from college in 1929 with a Bachelor of Arts. I taught in public schools between 1932 and 1944; in 1937, while teaching in high school I met my husband. We married in 1945 after he completed his service in World War II. He was subsequently elected to the State Senate in 1948. I entered politics in 1950 and was elected a member of the State House of Representatives and served from 1950 to 1955. During this period I was also a member of the board of directors of the American Association for the United Nations. My husband was elected to the United States Senate in 1954. In 1960 he died from a cerebral hemorrhage. I then won a special election on as the Democratic candidate to fill the vacancy caused by his death. At the same time as the special election I won the general election for the term commencing as soon as the special one was completed. My activities in government focused on consumer, environmental and health issues, including the sponsorship of one of the first bills to require warning labels on cigarette packaging. In 1961 President John F. Kennedy appointed me to be a member of the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women. I remarried to a doctor and Clinical Professor of Psychiatry Harvard Medical School and Physician-in-Chief, Psychiatry Service, Boston City Hospital, on July 11, 1964 in Washington, D.C. We remained married until 1967. Following My time in the Senate I was employed as a lecturer on consumer affairs and the status of women, and as teacher of American government at Boston University, the Radcliffe Institute of Advanced Studies at Harvard University. Who Am !?

6 comments:

Pat said...

I didn't do all that well on Kaye's questions, and in the spirit of sour grapes, I'll take exception to one answer: lettuce. I've seen recipes for braised lettuce, and they even did it once on either Top Chef or Iron Chef. So there. [g]

But really, Kaye, no hard feelings, and plenty of good vibes for your mom to get good results on her tests.

My favorite meal of the day, often my only real meal of the day is dinner. I don't really have a favorite singer these days, but I'll probably tune in to catch Susan Boyle on DWTS tonight.

Lady DR said...

Normal schedule? Could you define that for me? I've been looking all over for it...

Kaye, prayers and white light coming your direction for your mom's tests tomorrow. I hope they come back clear and with positive information. Please keep us posted.

Favorite meal -- right now anything that doesn't involve soft foods and mashed potatoes (which I'm restricted to for another week, dang it). Okay, seriously... brunch, if it happens after 11:00 am. Dinner, if I'm in the mood and it's something that appeals to me. Quite frankly, most of the time, meals are something I eat because I need the energy.

Singers... Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Elvis, Beach Boys, off the top of my head.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'll let you duke it out with Kaye!

A lot of times my only meal of the day is breakfast! That is why I am so looking forward to the breakfast in bed challenge.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I should have said my schedule will be back to abnormal Friday.

Another damn week on soft foods? That stinks. Does a soft taco count as soft food?

I like brunch too!! And you must be really happy that Garth is coming out of retirement!


Bill

Mary said...

Dweeb was the first word I thought of too.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Well, in our line of work we know a lot of dweebs, either working with them or serving them!


Bill