Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lifelong Achievement vs. One Moment To Shine.

What is more important the body of work or how you perform in the championship game?

For example, maybe a football team goes undefeated in the regular season. Another team loses five games. They meet in the Super Bowl. The team with five loses wins the game. Do they give the until then undefeated team the championship trophy? No they give the trophy to the team that performed the best that day.

There is a cooking contest. All your life you have made great recipes and improved the pallet of everyone that tasted a spoonful of your food. You don't do your best work in the contest and finish second to someone that isn't quite as good of a cook as you are. But that day, the recipe they made is better than yours. Did your past matter in the contest that you are in that day?

All your life you have made good movies. But each year someone else makes a movie just a little better than yours. You never win an Oscar because when the game starts your history doesn't matter because each year there is a movie better than yours. You might win a lifetime achievement award but until you make the best movie that year you will never win an Oscar for best picture. History doesn't matter.

The only one I didn't really want to win Dancing With The Stars was Donny Osmond. I thought Mya should win because all season long she was the best dancer. I wanted Kelly to win because from the start of the season until championship night she had improved the most.

Then the Championship nights came. Neither Mya or Kelly performed their best. Mya was let down by her partner who taught her a cheesy ass free style dance. Dimtri didn't go for the gold with a talented partner. They didn't perform the best in the championship game. Kym Johnson went for the gold. Her and Donny's free style was not only the best free style in the championship round it was one of the best free styles in the history of Dancing With The Stars. While maybe Donny wasn't the best of the three finalists during the season he was the best in the championship game.

While I give both Kelly and Mya season long achievement awards, Donny played the best game in the championship round and deserved to win. I congratulate him.

The question of the day. What would you prefer, a lifelong of achievements or winning that one night, that one game, that one moment, when you are simply the best, when the world celebrates you?

Give me the lifelong achievement award. You can have the trophy.

TODAY'S WHO AM I:

Yesterday's answer: Alice Guy Blaché, the first American woman film director.

I swimmingly could be called the first woman channel surfer. Born in 1905 to a German immigrant who ran a butcher shop in New York I was taught by my father to navigate the water. I was the Queen of Waves. Esther Williams and I learned at the same place. I won a gold medal at the 1924 Summer Olympics as part of a relay team and bronze medals for finishing third two different freestyle races. At twenty years old it took me seven hours to be the first woman to navigate a famous channel but was
.disqualified when my trainer had someone recover me from the water. One year later it took me fourteen hours and thirty minutes to navigate that channel. My record until 1950. During her twelfth hour into the channel I was so bothered by unfavorable winds that someone on board, called to me that I must quit. I asked what for? Only five men had been able to surf the same channel before I did. Their best time had been 16 hours, 33 minutes. The first person to greet me on my famous trek was a British immigration officer who requested a passport. A fall down the steps of my apartment building in 1933 twisted my spine and left me bedridden for several years, but in 1939 I recovered well enough to appear at the New York World's Fair. I was inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame in 1965. I had poor hearing since childhood due to measles, and by the 1940s I was completely deaf. I spent much of the rest of my life teaching deaf children. I never married and died in 2003 at the age of 98. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Mary Z said...

I'm with you, Bill.

Lady DR said...

I'll take the lifelong achievement. 'Sides, I don't have any place to put the trophy (g).

Uh, hon, you inadvertantly gave us the "who am I answer" for today. Are you a bit frazzled, preparing for Thanksgiving and settling into the new lifestyle?

Hoping everyone has an enjoyable Thanksgiving, however you choose to celebrate the day.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z!!!!!

Good to see you here!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

You can always make room for a trophy even if you have to put it into the fridge.

Not frazzled just a bad cut and paster. This is actually the second time this week I gave the answer but Pat let me know the last time before all of you read it!!

Bill

Pat said...

I'm with you, Bill. Give me a life of achievement rather than a one-time medal any day. OTOH, I've never competed for a medal, so I might change my mind if I thought winning would change my life for the better. I tuned in at the last moment to see who won DWTS, and as usual, I was disappointed.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I suppose it might depend on the medal and the reward. Like if you won the night you won one million maybe you would still choose lifetime achievement but if the pot was one hundred million where you could change many lives you might choose the medal.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Bill