Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Freedom - Day One

Not much today. Just a couple of stories. I am not sure I would classify them as a good stories. I would probably classify them as interesting stories.

First is a father and son united:

http://www.gnn.com/article/father-and-sons-reunited-after-10-years/771002?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gnn.com%2Farticle%2Ffather-and-sons-reunited-after-10-years%2F771002

Next is a surprise gift for a city:

http://news.aol.com/philanthropy/article/sterilite-chairman-albert-stone-gives/769474?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Fphilanthropy%2Farticle%2Fsterilite-chairman-albert-stone-gives%2F769474

I would also like all of us to muster up our famous healing vibes and send them in DR's and her sister-in-law's direction. Her s-i-l, Alice, has spinal surgery today. So let's all hope for the surgery and the recovery to go well.

Since I am enjoying my first day of freedom and really haven't thought about any provoking or interesting questions, tell me what is on your mind today. I do wonder about the father and son story above on with the father's background whether he should be reunited with his sons. What do you think?


TODAY'S WHO AM I

I am a Mourning Dove that was born in 1880's in Idaho and died in 1936. I was the daughter of an Okanogan and a Colville. I received a sporadic formal education and spent many years working as a migrant field laborer around the Pacific Northwest. My mother died when I was 14 and I had to raise my siblings. As an adult I was plagued by chronic illness and poverty. My first marriage failed. By 1912 I was living in Portland, Oregon where I began my efforts to write a western romance novel based on my life. A small Boston firm, The Four Seas Company, agreed to publish the my first novel. It appeared in 1927, In one my novels features a spirited, mixed-blood woman who has returned to her brother-in-law’s ranch in Montana from the Carlisle Indian school. She soon finds herself torn between two forces: the traditionalism of her grandmother and the modern ways of a man that courts her. A quote about her childhood:

"There are two things I am most grateful for in my life. The first is that I was born a descendant of the genuine Americans, the Indians; the second, that my birth happened in the year 1888. In that year the Indians of my tribe, the Colvile (Swy-ayl-puh), were well into the cycle of history involving their readjustment in living conditions. They were in a pathetic state of turmoil caused by trying to learn how to till the soil for a living, which was being done on a very small and crude scale. It was no easy matter for members of this aboriginal stock, accustomed to making a different livelihood (by the bow and arrow), to handle the plow and sow seed for food. Yet I was born long enough ago to have known people who lived in the ancient way before everything started to change."

I am considered the first woman of my nationality to publish a novel. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Not sure about the father/son story. Apparently both dad and sons have been in trouble, so will they all go straight together or will they encourage each other to misbehave? Beats me, but I do like that there are people trying to unite families when they can.

I love the other story! What a great gift, and what a generous man. Makes me want to buy stock in his company Sterilite, whatever they make.

Aha! Just looked them up and they handle all sorts of storage containers and other gadgets for the home. Let's all lean toward the Sterilite brand when we can.

I forgot to comment yesterday on the odd facts (very interesting, but I question the one about the strength of a human hair). Loved your final thumb comment. {eg}

Lady DR said...

I think both are good stories, Bill. I went beyond the Oregonian and read the article from the St Pete Times. It appears the father's "burglary" was taking furniture from his own home, aftern his wife served divorce papers. Should he have tried to find his sons? Depended on what stood in his way. It sounds as if the ex-wife made it clear she didn't want him to see her or the children every again. Given the ex doesn't want the kids and willing allowd them to go to foster care, I'd say, give the guy a chance.

As to the second story, now only was it uplifting -- five a mana fish and you feed him a day; teach him to fish and you feed him for life. I think education works much the same way. Also interesting to note that the facility includes a senior center and he's done a number of other things for the city. It was interesting to read some of the comments on the article -- any number of people who felt a library was a waste of money and the big bucks should have been given directly to the poor and unemployed (never mind, the man donated a building and funds for a food pantry recently). It was also interesting to click through the photographs of other "helping people" and see brief sketches of everyone from celebrities to a five year old, raising money for various charities, the homeless and the hungry and a neighbor girl fighting cancer. You made my day brighter, my friend.

Thank you for the prayer request for Alice. We've heard nothing so far, but I supsect it will be later tonight or maybe even tomorrow am. Lake said he'd probably call her mom and our mom first and, depending, have them call other family members. I'll keep you all posted, as I hear anything.

Glad you're enjoying your first day of freedom. Hope Sis is getting settled in.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That was the part of the father story that I liked, that they were trying to reunite families. After DR posted the particulars of the guys charge I'm leaning towards him having a shot at raising them.

What I liked about the library story is that he asked for nothing in return. Not even to have the library named after him, nothing. A true gift. I love that you looked up the company and now I will be watching to make sure I buy his brand.

As to yesterday I don't think I will test the hair question. Now the thumb question, maybe.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Actually you and Pat are making my day not the other way around. First Pat going beyond the story to find out the name of the company the Library donater owns. Then you going to great lengths with both stories! It really motivates me to keep looking for those stories.

After your research I am now on the side of giving the dad a chance.

Those people that said the library was a waste just don't have a clue what a library is all about. First, hey collect food for food banks. Usually if someone wants to donate food they need not go any further than the local library. Second, the provide space for a number of mentoring and reading programs and numerous volunteer opportunities. A library is more than books and CDS. My guess is the complainers have never been inside a library. The five year raising money is one I would define as a hero.

Do keep us up to date on Alice. I feel like I know her.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Pat, I've been buying the Sterlite brand storage containers for years, everything from the small ones to use in the rig to the great big ones for Christmas and off-season clothing and such to use in the basement and shed. They're good quality, very reasonably priced and hold up really well. Glad to know my money has gone to good causes (g).

Bill, glad you're considering giving the dad a chance. Yes, the boys have been in trouble, as well, but when you consider the Mom wouldn't even go to Juvie to get them when they were released, which forced them into foster care, don't you begin to think there may have been some reason for their "acting out." Oh, and the one boy, caught trespassing and stealing fruit (I think that's what he took) said he took it because there was no food at home and he and his brothers were hungry. The mom is the one who's beginning to sound like the real "charmer" to me.

I'm suspecting you're right about the complainers having never been in a library, particularly given not only their comments but the spelling and punctuation (and I hope that doesn't make me sound like a snob). They could go in and learn to use a computer, from what I gathered. They could use the computer to search for jobs or grants or opportunities for job training. They could ask the librarians to help them do any of the above, even if they didn't use the computer. My experience is that almost every library employee is invested in helping people, in whatever way they can, based on both observation and my personal requests.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Yes, I think the boys probably felt unloved with a dad out of the picture and a mom that deserted them.

If you are a snob then so I am because I noticed the spelling too. At the library here they have free computers to use and they also have computers linked to the state unemployment office. And you are right, the employees there go out of their way to help.

Bill