Friday, November 27, 2009

Danger Lurks

No, danger doesn't lurk because I am dating a woman that views Lorena Bobbitt as an idol. In the interest of good judgment I'm not. First question I ask is, who are your idols? And no danger doesn't lurk because I plan on being in the most dangerous place in America today, the shopping malls. I'm not. I'm taking Mom and Sis to The Blind Side with those newly received gift cards. But according to Walletpop.com here are places you might want to avoid:

Number one on the list is Camden, New Jersey. The rest of the top ten:

2. St. Louis, Missouri.
3. Oakland, California.
4. Detroit, Michigan.
5. Flint, Michigan.
6. New Orleans, Louisiana.
7. Birmingham, Alabama.
8. Cleveland, Ohio.
9. Jackson, Mississippi.
10. Memphis, Tennessee.

It kind of surprised me that Los Angeles didn't make this list. Compton in the LA area was number twelve on the list. On to the most dangerous states:

1. Nevada.
2. Louisiana.
3. South Carolina.
4. New Mexico.
5. Florida.
6. Tennessee.
7. Alaska.
8. Arizona.
9. Maryland.
10. Michigan.

Because I believe in safe blog. Here are the safest cities:

1. Ramapo, NY.
2. Mission Viejo, CA.
3. O'fallon, Missouri.
4. Newton, Massachusetts.
5. Brick Township, New Jersey.
6. Clakrstown, New York.
7. Amhearst, New York.
8. Greece, New York.
9. Allen, Texas.
10. Colonie, New York.

The Safest States?

1. New Hampshire.
2. Vermont.
3. Maine.
4. North Dakota.
5. South Dakota.
6. Montana.
7. Wyoming.
8. Iowa.
9. Rhode Island.
10. Connecticut.

You can read the whys and wherefores of the rankings here:

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/dangerous-cities?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl2|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Finsurance%2Fdangerous-cities


Does anything about the list surprise you? It looks to me like we need to hire bodyguards for DR. & Mary Z. It also looks like the safest places, both the cities and states, are the ones with the smallest population. Apparently, people bring danger. Do you feel safe in your city/ In your state?

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer: Frances Perkins first woman cabinet member.

I was born in 1833 and died in 1910. I brought a smile to many faces and really brought teeth in to my occupation. I was born in New York and began my working career teaching for ten years in Michigan. In 1859 I moved to Cincinnati with good intentions of entering an advance program but was refused admission due to my gender. I began a private program studying for the occupation that advance program would have qualified me for. I started my own practice in 1861. I soon later moved to Iowa where I spent three years. In 1865 I finally gained full recognition and was allowed to join the occupation's professional society. I earned my doctorate degree in Iowa. I moved to Chicago and married a man with a name that will remind you of a famous singer. Since he really couldn't sing I convinced him to join me in my occupation. We practiced jointly until his death in 1886. After my husband's death I ceased work in my chosen occupation but became more active in politics, campaigning for greater women's rights, until my own death. By 1900 almost one thousand women had followed me into my occupation that I was the first to perform in. There is an award named after me that is presented annually in recognition of professional excellence and achievements in advancing the role of women in my chosen occupation. Put your teeth into it and tell me Who Am I?

4 comments:

Mary Z said...

I'm way at the other end of the state from Memphis & Jackson. And one small correction - it's probably McAllen, Texas. My aunt lives near there.

But I've never felt unsafe anywhere we've lived.

Hope everyone has had a good Thanksgiving weekend.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

I am glad we don't have to hire a bodyguard.

I went back to the web site and it did say Allen. Here is what wallet pop said:

No. 9: Allen, TX
Allen is 74.72% below the national crime rate average.

Bill

Pat said...

I'd argue with your population conclusion as regards the states, Bill. Nevada isn't highly populated, nor are New Mexico or Alaska to my knowledge. Don't know about the others. And I see CA isn't on the most dangerous list. But I always question this type of list, since there are safe areas and not-so-safe ones everywhere. Like the example of Compton that you mentioned.

As to idols, I guess I just don't think in terms of idolatry, because I can't think of one. I can think of plenty of people I admire and try to emulate in one area or another, but no, no idols.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I was curious so I looked up populartions by state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population

Nevada is 34th on the list. Alaska at 48th is the only one with a bottom ten population listed as one of the most dangerous. On the safest list the only the only one that ranks higher in population than Nevada is Conneticut at 29. So I am still saying the safest states appear to be the least populated.

New York was third and while their state was listed in either the top ten safest or most dangerous that had the most cities in the safest category.

What really surprised me is California had nearly double the population that New York had. I thought New York was closeer to California than that in population.

I'm also surprised Utah didn't make the safest list with their culture.

Bill