Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Catching Happines, Gaining Brain Cells.

I don't know if the following article is interesting because of the subject matter or that I just find it interesting because it confirms what I have always thought. Happiness is catching. Sadness is catching. It is easer to catch sadness but you can recover from the "illness" faster than you can recover from happiness. Got that? Better take notes because I may test you on it later!

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/mindmood/article/835609--how-are-sadness-and-happiness-like-diseases-they-re-infectious-study-finds

What is your take on the article and the research study?

I hope the following article will make you happy and that you spread the disease wherever you go today:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/07/27/with-age-comes-wisdom-midlife-brains-sharper-than-younger-minds/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl3|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2F2010%2F07%2F27%2Fwith-age-comes-wisdom-midlife-brains-sharper-than-younger-minds%2F

Now this article surprised the hell out of me. Did it you? I do think there are some things I am better at now then I was in my thirties, like grammar, math, and romance. However, I do also think they some things I don't do as well as I did then, Are you better today then you were a few years ago? If so what are you better at?

That's all for the day. Your comments are appreciated.

WHO AM I

Yesterday's answer Nina Maria Adeline Isabel Emilia Otero.

I am a member for the National Women's Hall of fame that was born in 1909 and never married before dying in 1974. I am best known for developing a method of assessing the health of new born babies and the test that is named after me that drastically reduced infant mortality. I am a physician that specialized in anesthesia and was a leader in the fields of anesthesiology and teratology, and I effectively founded the field of neonatology. I graduated from an Ivy League school with a degree in medicine. I completed my residency in surgery there but was discouraged from practicing surgery at the college by the chair of surgery. I then trained in anesthesia and returned to the medical school as director of the newly formed division of anesthesia. I was the first woman to become a full professor at the Ivy league medical school that I graduated from. I later earned a Master of Public Health degree. The test I developed is administered one minute and five minutes after birth, and sometimes also at ten minutes. Although I was frequently the "first woman" or "only woman" in a department, to serve in a position, or win an accolade, I avoided the organized women's movement, proclaiming that "women are liberated from the time they leave the womb." I won the Distinguished Service Award from the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the Elizabeth Blackwell Award, from the American Women's Medical Association. I was named Woman Of The Year in Science by the Ladies Home Journal in the year that was famous for the beginning of a scandal that would eventually result in a president's resignation. If you haven't figured me out yet ask Ms. Beck "If My Baby Is Alright." Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I'm not surprised to hear that both happiness and sadness can be contagious. I know they can for short periods, but hadn't thought much about how long-term contacts can give you long-term bouts of either. Pick your friends carefully seems to be the moral of that story.

The other story is somewhat reassuring. I don't think I'm better at much of anything than I was when younger, but I don't think I'm much worse, either. About a lot of things, I don't care as much, so maybe don't work as hard at them.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Yes, another reason to surrond yourself with the right type of friends.

I actually care more about some things now then I did back then. For example, when I read an article that has a word that I don't know, I stop and look up the word in the dictionary. I never did that when I was younger.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Emotions are contagious: I've always believed this. Being around "up" and positive people goes a long way to making me happier and more content. Conversely, there are times I dread calling someone, because I know the conversation is going to be filled with negatives (as are some emails I get) and, for me, the negative seems to be much more contagious and last longer, although the study says the opposite. JC called such negative individuals "toxic" and suggested avoiding them as much as possible, for one's own well being. I agree with her. Those I can't avoid, I really try to let it all go in one ear and out the other and then try to find positive friends to talk to or be with.

The brain thing is interesting. I think there are some things we do better as we get older, maybe because we think them through. I also think that certain "losses" of brain power come from lack of practice. They refer to the numbers thing. I'm not nearly as good at doing calculations in my head as I used to be and I kinda blame that on the fact it's easier to reach for the calculator, so I'm not practicing. Having not used my design or space design skills for years, I found trying to design the bathroom much more difficult than it would have been ten years ago, when I'd have had it to scale with half a dozen options in the space of a couple hours. There are many studies that show that "exercising" the brain as we mature helps immeasurably in retaining and building skills of various types. It's why I read a lot, do crosswords, try new knitting or crocheting patterns occasionally and want to get back to the guitar and teaching myself to play by ear. All of those use different mental skills.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I've always said it is more likely that a negative person will bring you down then it is that a positive person will bring you up.
The thing that surprised me the most is that your recover from the down faster than you do from positive. However, when I give it more thought people like to be happy and you don't want to lose that feeling so it takes longer for it to go away.

I agree with you about losing brain cells by not keeping your mind active. The numbers thing is one thing that kind of bothers me, especially when I watch a clerk try to make change if their computer is out. I find it surprising that the remodel was more difficult now then earlier but maybe you care more now about it being right.

Bill