Sunday, July 4, 2010

An Independent Update.

I know the Fourth of July has an important meaning. It is the day the United States declared its independence on July 4, 1776 with the following document:

http://www.ushistory.org/DECLARATION/document/index.htm

However, it is has become my least favorite holiday due to the idiot factor. How many stories are we going to hear this year of someone blowing a finger, an arm, or a hand off? How many fires are going to be started due to careless setting off of fireworks? How many purchases of illegal fireworks are going to be made? How many pets are going to be scared witless and run away? The meaning has gone from celebrating independence to embracing stupidity. Maybe it also has become a guys holiday:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/susan_nielsen/index.ssf/2010/07/fourth_of_july_trying_to_love.html


Enough of my rant now the weekly update:

I had a nice coffee meeting with Red Whistle on Tuesday, a nice birthday lunch yesterday (we had trouble meshing our schedules) with Naomi, spent Wednesday night at Mom's, met with the caterers on Tuesday, had a nice lunch with Mom on Friday, dinner out with sis and Mom on Monday, worked on the cousin letter on Thursday and stuffed, stamped and sent it out on Friday, there was also a lunch on Monday with a friend and I finished reading Janet Evanovich's SIZZLING SIXTEEN.

Next week it is tonight and tomorrow night at Mom's, putting together a package of events for the cousin reunion, the wonderful task of laundry, finishing two work assignments, and buying some of the staples for the reunion.

Not much on the entertainment front this week. This was men's week on Top Chef. Kenny won the Quickfire Challenge. Arnold won the Elimination challenge. Three men and one woman finished in the bottom four and of course the woman, Tracey, was sent packing. I was really sorry to see Tracey go because she really had a colorful personality.

The blog is now yours. Catch me up on your lives! I would really love to hear from Dona and The Dude (also known as The Shankster.) We also haven't heard from Snug and how her parents are doing for quite a while. This is your time to shine. Vent. Jump with joy. Introduce yourselves. Tell me what is on your plate. Both the fun and boring things you are doing. Post anything you damn well please. And answer two questions: Do you like the fourth? And has it become a man's holiday?

THE ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S WHO AM I WAS Ella Josephine Baker

8 comments:

dona said...

Hi Bill, sorry to be missing so much of late, just a bit occupied and haven't had taken the minute it takes to post something here. (Mybad?) :) I know you hate that saying, just messin with ya!

I have to agree with you on July 4th being my least holiday anymore. It also seems to me in the news its a way for people to justify going out boating while drinking too much too. I am hoping this year there won't be as many casualties.

Our week was, Thank Goodness, a week with only one doctor visit. Shankster visited with Heart Doc and all is well there. All is also ok with him as all his tests came back clear, and he is only to go to PT for about a month for some work with his shoulders/arms. He is doing his best trying to get out of that one, and DR was nice enough to give us a few options he could try, so he is doing those now. He would rather do anything than go to the hospital/PT or doctor visits.
I am still awaiting a visit/test on July 14th. Still no news on the first biopsy. Will keep you all informed.
Also thanks to my wonderful sister in law, they offered their pool to us while they are gone for 6 days. After having a pool for my therapy, it was hard to come here without one. So needless to say, We have been at the pool every day since Wednesday which was our anniversary so that was a nice way to spend it.

Not much going on this week, finally a break from docs and labs. So maybe a week for finishing up things like yard work and a memory quilt I have been working on for 4 months(or I should say I HAVEN'T been working on it, that's why it isn't done!) It was to be done by August.

Best wishes to all who need them and hope everyone has a safe and Happy 4th!

William J. said...

DONA!!!

So good to see you that you can even say my bad two or three times!

You are right about the drunken boating, it has gotten so bad her the sheriff's department are doing special patrols on the rivers and lakes.

Glad the Shankster is doing good and all is well with heart and the tests were clear. He damn well better going to PT because if he doesn't he is going to have to deal with me!

I will keep you on my prayer list until the 14th.

Sister in law sounds great and if I had a choice between a pool and me I'd choose the pool.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, even if it is late!

I would love to see the quilt when you are done with it and I am betting others here would too!

Happy 4th to you!

Bill

dona said...

MyBad
MyBad
MyBad

Pat said...

First, good wishes to Dona and The Shankster for good reports all around from the medical front. I envy you the pool access.

About the Fourth, I never thought of it as a guys' holiday. I loved it as a kid, when everybody would shoot off fireworks in the street and you got the benefit of your own and the neighbors', too. Same deal when my daughter was young. Husband would set up a tall platform, unreachable by little kids, where anything possibly dangerous got set off by his torch. The kids and I got sparklers and everybody up and down the street got a good view of whatever we had, plus we enjoyed theirs. One year, we suggested going to a big fireworks show, and daughter waffled a bit and then said it would be fine as long as we had our own, too. We stayed home.

That's all gone now. No kids at my house, and no fireworks allowed in our town. I miss it.

William J. said...

LOL Dona

Good thing I said three times instead of ten!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

When I was a kid I loved the 4th too. Parades. Fireworks. We also did sparkles and all the neighbors sat out in their lawns in lawnchairs. But it seemed safer then and people seemed to act more responsible.

Now I don't know what it is but there is always some doofus that sets of a firework big enough to take out three countries and someone ends up getting hurt.

Bill

dona said...

Thanks Pat!

I miss the days when you could set off some fireworks from your yard and the neighbors would all be doing the same or watching with you and the kids with sparklers. I had wonderful times doing that as a child, we lived right next to a drive in theater...(remember those?) and so the whole street would sit in the middle of the street and watch the BIG fireworks show from there as it was just over our heads. Those are the days you miss and want to go back to for just a day like today.

Pool has been wonderful...I knew I missed it for several reasons, but didn't know how much. Hoping I can win the lottery to get me one again.

And Bill, I am not a pro on quilting...but love to sew just about anything. I had gotten away from it for years, then made a Jean Rag quilt for my first grandson. All the jeans were from when I wore maternity jeans during pregnancy with my son, and then jeans that were my sons, and then jeans from my dad. It was my first quilt ever. Here is the photostream on Flicker if you like. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32909314@N03/

My daughter in law has a son 11, and she wanted a memory quilt made in the same manner. She gave me several shirts to use. I just hope I am good enough to deliver!!

William J. said...

Dona

The quilts are beautiful. Another way we are alike is we both undersell ourselves. There is no doubt in my mind that the memory quilt will be beautiful.

Beleive our not I am eight miles from the only drive-in theater in Oregon.

If I win the lottery you get a pool.

Bill