Saturday, July 3, 2010

Good News

Good news on the health front:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/07/01/best-2-tests-for-predicting-alzheimers/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2F2010%2F07%2F01%2Fbest-2-tests-for-predicting-alzheimers%2F

They are making great strides in predicting who is at risk for Alzheimer's. While they can't now cure it there are several drugs and methods available to delay the onset of it. While I believe this is really good news, it won't be great news until we find a cure for it.

Good news on another front. Well, some might say it isn't all that good news. Now sixty-three percent of all men enjoy something that a much smaller percent used to enjoy:

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/06/29/men-close-grooming-gap-with-women-study-finds/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stylelist.com%2F2010%2F06%2F29%2Fmen-close-grooming-gap-with-women-study-finds%2F

And the last good news of the day? When you are done painting your house and have some paint left over there a lot of things you can do with it:

http://www.diylife.com/2010/06/29/10-uses-for-leftover-house-paint/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl8|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diylife.com%2F2010%2F06%2F29%2F10-uses-for-leftover-house-paint%2F

Here are the questions for the day. Are you happy that us slobs are taking up more of your bathroom time so that we look nicer and smell better? Or does that just mean that we are becoming more vain? An are you going to use leftover paint to create the next Van Gogh? Or are you just going to paint the light switches in your house? Or throw it away? And finally do you thing we will ever find a cure for Alzheimer's?


Who Am I?

Yesterday's answer was Felisa Rincón de Gautier

I was born in Virginia in 1903 and died in New York in 1986. I was a behind the scenes civil rights worker who helped fight for equal rights over five decades. I worked alongside some of the most famous civil rights leaders of the twentieth century, including: W. E. B. Du Bois, Thurgood Marshall, A. Philip Randolph, and Martin Luther King Jr.. I also mentored such then young civil rights stalwarts as Diane Nash, Stokely Carmichael, Rosa Parks and Bob Moses. As a young girl I listened to my grandmother tell stories about slave revolts. My grandmother had been whipped for refusing to marry a man chosen for her by the slave owner. I graduated from college as class valedictorian. As a student I challenged school policies that I thought were unfair. I would later protest Italy's invasion of Ethiopia and supported the campaign to free the Scottsboro defendants in Alabama, a group of young black men accused of raping two white women. In the 1960s, the idea of "Participatory Democracy" was created and I supported it. There were three principles of the Democracy (1) an appeal for grass roots involvement of people throughout society, while making their own decisions, (2) the minimization of hierarchy (leaders) and the associated emphasis on expertise and professionalism as a basis for leadership, and (3) a call for direct action as an answer to fear isolation and intellectual detachment. As a recruiter for the civil rights movement my ability to treat everyone with respect helped me. I helped initiate voter registration campaigns and identify other local grievances in the South. I believed in nonviolent protests. I was once called the "Godmother of SNCC." I helped to coordinate the region-wide freedom rides of 1961. I also helped organize the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party (MFDP) as an alternative to the all-white Mississippi Democratic Party. I lent my voice to the Puerto Rican independence movement, spoke out against apartheid in South Africa and allied myself with a number of women's groups, including the Third World Women's Alliance and the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. I remained an activist until my death.
I differed in opinion and philosophy with the famous Martin and once claimed that the movement made Martin, and not Martin the movement. I also urged activists to take control of the movement themselves, rather than rely on a leader with "heavy feet of clay," which was widely interpreted as a denunciation of King. I was such a private person that people didn't know that I was married for twenty years. I am quoted as saying "You didn't see me on television, you didn't see news stories about me. The kind of role that I tried to play was to pick up pieces or put together pieces out of which I hoped organization might come. My theory is, strong people don't need strong leaders." Who Am I?

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

Lots of interesting info here, Bill. I'm delighted at the continued research into Alzheimer's and hope identifying predictors, proteins and such WILL lead to a cure. I also hope folks will pay attention to the various means and methods for delaying the onset, most of which involve keeping the brain active and occupied.

As to the guys and gals "beauty time," I have a question. Has anyone looked at whether women are spending a bit less time, which may help close the gap? I'm not talking the real young gals, but those who are now dealing with careers, families, caring for parents and/or more involved in community and such. IT may be a local/regional thing, but I've noticed that many women are opting for more easily managed hairstyles and less makeup. In many cases, they're much more attractive than those who spend hours painting and using hot rollers and teasing and such. And a lot of them are very open about it. "I don't have time to spend half an hour doing my hair and fifteen minutes applying layers of makeup and eye shadow and line and all." These are women anywhere from about 35 to 50. They're not neglecting being attractive, they've simply opted for a more natural attractive that can be accomplished in half the time they used to spend.

Ah, house paint. Interesting, as we're dealing with that. We bought the amount of paint the (never to be recommended) contractor said we'd need. AT an exorbitant price. Used less than half of it. Fortunately, it's a warm, off-white. Fortunately, it's labeled "interior/exterior." We'll use some of it for the bathroom renovation, hoping HD can adjust the tint to a very pale blue. We'll use some of it when we get around to redoing the huge great room, which is currently dark paneling. I hope they can tint some of the remaining paint to a soft pearl grey and I can do some kind of textured paint treatment there. One of the options not mentioned in the article was Craig's List. If you spent a LOT on the paint and it's high quality, you may be able to sell it on Craig's list and at least get back some of your money. We'll keep some of it for touch ups (which we've already found need doing). I'm also planning on using some of it to paint small areas of my office that never got done when we converted the old sunroom was converted to my use. AT this point, we're delighted that the actual paint color came out lighter than the chip we selected!

Lady DR said...

Okay, question, Bill. I published my comment. It went to a page that said, in essence, it was too long. When I came back here, the entire message was showing as "comment saved." Whassup?

Pat said...

Men have to do that shaving thing, so I'd imagine they take about as long as women in the first place, if you count that. Men have always been as vain as women.

Answers to your other questions are No, No, No, and not anytime soon.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I agree with your keep the brain active! That is why I am going to keep the blog going, I just hope I can remember where it is!

Interesting question about women spending less time in the bathroom and I am betting they are. For all the reasons that you said. I've always thought a woman without makeup was more attractive than one with it.

That has to be a miracle that the paint turned out to be the color you ordered!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I don't know what gives but it may be a problem on your end. It happens to me if it takes to long to post.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Met have always been as vain or more vain than women but they have really been grooming or scented oriented.

Bill