Friday, July 16, 2010

Smelling Great, Staying Alive & Chasing The Opposite Sex

My dad wore Old Spice. I used to wear Old Spice but know I am partial to Azzarro Chrome. However, if this ad campaign works a lot people are going to go back to wearing Old Spice because they will "smell like a man"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100716/ap_en_ot/us_old_spice_viral_videos

Right now the ad campaign accounts for eight of the eleven most popular videos on You Tube and have been viewed by over twenty-one million folks. I think I will stick with my Chrome. What do you like to smell on a man? Old Spice? Nothing? Obsession for men? Other suggestions?

Have you ever written to a dead person? I really can't say I have knowingly done that but a Austrian Power Company can't say that. Well, she turned out to be alive but they thought she was dead.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100715/od_nm/us_austria_letter_odd

How do you think you would react if you received a letter that started, "We are sorry to hear of your passing." At first I'd be really ticked, then I would laugh, and then I would be scared at all of the paperwork I might have to go through to prove that I wasn't dead.

I have to admit that in my time I have chased a woman or two. Never really caught one because they all seem to run a lot faster than I do. Some females do stop traffic and some males will go into traffic to catch that stopping traffic female. Here is an article that verifies that:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100715/od_nm/us_germany_llama_odd

Have you ever stopped traffic? Ever chased a member of the opposite sex into traffic?

I hope today is the start to a great weekend for all of you!

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Mae Jemison.

I was born in 1905 and died in 1984 and was the inspiration for a famous mystery writer's main character, a result of a thirty year affair I had with the writer. Growing up I spent six months each year in New York and the other six months in the home of this year's Super Bowl Champs. Foxes, attics, and toys will remind you of me as will the time of my life that I was blacklisted. So will an Oscar winning film based on one of my books. In 1950 I appeared before a committee in front of Congress due to my boyfriend being Communist. I was asked to name names with communist affiliations. Part of my prepared statement said "To hurt innocent people whom I knew many years ago in order to save myself is, to me, inhuman and indecent and dishonorable. I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashions, even though I long ago came to the conclusion that I was not a political person and could have no comfortable place in any political group." That lead to my ban from Hollywood. Some of the statement was false because I was at time political being a member of the League of American Writers and serving on their Keep America Out of War Committee during the period of the Hitler-Stalin pact. An author later wrote about my two invented lives because at one time I wasn't sure what was true about my own life. In one instance I said I knew nothing about the Moscow Trials in which Stalin had purged the Soviet Communist Party of Party members who were then liquidated when I had actually signed petitions applauding the guilty verdict and encouraged others not to cooperate with John Dewey's committee that sought to establish the truth behind Stalin's show trials. I also opposed the granting of political asylum to Leon by the United States. My feud with Mary lead to Ephron's play Imaginary Friends. Mary famously said of me on The Dick Cavett Show that "every word she writes is a lie, including 'and' and 'the'." I replied by filing a $2,500,000 slander suit against Mary, Cavett, and PBS. After I died on Martha Vineyard from natural causes at the age of 79 the suit was dropped by my executors. Before dying I appeared in an episode of The Simpson's during which in Lisa's dream I urged her to take up smoking. I died an Unfinished Woman. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I wish I could remember the nameof the signature scent that turned me on back in the 70s. It was some kind of hair prep, though, not aftershave. Since then, no favorites, but I do like men who smell nice.

If I received that letter, I'd start by replying as I think Mark Twain did once, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated". And now that I look it up, I find I've misquoted a bit, but that's still what I'd say. Other than that, my reaction would be the same as yours -- horror at the paperwork to come.

I don't think I've ever stopped traffic, except for the time I was rearended on the freeway. Everything stopped for a few moments to allow me to spin across three lanes of traffic. I'd rather not repeat that experience. Never chased a man into traffic, that I can recall.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sorry for the late response but I took a break and went to Inception.

I love the Mark Twain quote and wouldn't have known that you misquuted it if you hadn't told us!

I actually think a lot of men would stop in traffic for you!

Bill

Lady DR said...

You did find some strange stuff today (g).

Haven't really thought about men's aftershave or how they smell (unless dirty). Basically, I guess I like a fresh, clean, maybe somewhat outdoorsy scent.

As to the letter to the woman about her passing... what kind of idiots work for the company? I mean, do they really expect a response from a corpse? A letter to her address, with the actual letter saying "Re: So-And-So's Passing" and asking about the account would be one thing, but to write to the dead person, as if you expected a response? The mind boggles.

Never stopped traffic that I know of, certainly never chased anyone into traffic that I can recall, even in my young and foolish days.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Friday's are the day for weird or calming stuff. No heavy thinking on Friday, it is the law!

That is what bothered me the most about the death story that the idiot would address the letter to a dead person. I mean it isn't hard to type in a wrong social security number and make that kind of mistake but to actuall address you letter to one? That is really stupid.

Like I think of Pat, I also think men would stop in traffic for you!

Bill