Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Ghostly Update

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Queen Lydia Kamakaʻeha Kaola Maliʻi Liliʻuokalani. That was a mouthful!

Last week. Two nights a Mom's. Taking Mom Shopping one day. Dinner out with sis, brother-in-law, caregiver, and Mom. Lunch out with Mom. Fourth of July BBQ at Sister's. Some writing. Some work on a tax return assignment for Mark and Paul. Some work on the cousin reunion.

This coming week: Today I am taking Mom to lunch and then to the Library to get her more books. The woman is a reading fool, reading at least four books a week. Tomorrow is a well deserved me day. Tuesday is taking Mom to the credit union and then spending the night at Mom's. I will be glad when my nephew returns from vacation! Wednesday is dinner out with the family. Thursday is buying staples for the reunion. Friday and Saturday nothing is planned but I am pretty sure somebody somewhere will find errands for me to run for them.

Not much on the entertainment front this week. On Top Chef Kenny won the Quickfire Challenge. Then the contestants divided into teams of two to cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner. After breakfast the winning team was not required to compete the rest of the day. After lunch the winning lunch team didn't have to compete for dinner. The team eliminated this week was Lynne and Arnold. Didn't cook the pasta correctly. The winning team was my gal Kelly and her cooking partner Andrea. One won a trip to Italy, the other won a trip to Spain.

Sort of a cousin reunion update. One of the things that I am doing is putting together a welcome to Oregon package for the guests. Within four miles of the hotel where they are staying are six shopping centers, about twenty restaurants, two movie theaters, several pharmacies, four grocery stores and a host of other things. Besides a little blurb with directions to each of the aforementioned and a star besides the one that have my approval, I'm also putting in their package brochures of things to do in Portland. The brochures I have chosen are:

Oregon Zoo
Oregon Museum Of Science & Industry - The world through Einstein's Eyes
World Forestry Center - Be caught in a forest fire.
The Grotto - A religious retreat with beautiful gardens.
Washington Square Mall - sales tax free shopping.
Saturday Market - a craft fair that some of you have been too.
Antique Mall in Lafayette - self explanatory
Portland Spirit River Cruises - through downtown Portland.

And the one my sister has already made reservations for. She isn't going but she made reservations of her daughter, her four grandsons, and her husband. Click on "overview."

http://www.portlandwalkingtours.com/tours/beyond_bizarre.php

Sis isn't going because she is kind of scared of ghosts. If I didn't have to stay close to the hotel and act as host, I'd go in a heartbeat. Would you? What of the above brochures would attract your attention?

And remember today is your day so catch me on your liives and post anything you damn well want to! I want to hear all about what you are doing and are going to do. If you need prayers and good vibes let us know! Need to vent? Do it here. We have a special on vents today. Two for the price of one

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

Wow, you've had a busy week, with another coming up. Sounds like you have things well in hand for the reunion. Like you, I'd take the ghost tour in a skinny minute. All the offerings sound delightful, especially the zoo, the Grotto, Saturday market and cruises.

Been busy here. Finished up the analysis and took the rest of the week to attack the to-do list and get lots of nagging stuff accomplished, from washing my office ceiling to standard laundry and ironing and paperwork. Pool and line dance of course - dress rehearsal for our show at the nursing home next week. Interesting, we knew it was owned by the local Baptist college, but didn't know the activities organizer had to do battle to get them to allow a dance team in (dancing is not accepted activity). So, she said this wasn't really dancing, it was more like a Broadway production! Boy, have we come up in the world (VBG)

Maryanne and TJ arrived Friday afternoon and are camped in a nearby county park, until we get the dirt moved tomorrow AM (hopefully!) and can move our rig to make room for theirs. It's great to see them again. MA was here most of yesterday, the guys went to a gun show, they're coming up for supper then, as I said, moving up tomorrow. The good news is the "girls" (she has a Blue Heeler, we have the Alaskan Eskimo and mini- schnauzer) all seem to get along just fine, indoors or out.

Prayers please for Matt, a dear friend of my youngest nephew. He has a brain hemmorage (sp), which has gone undetected until he collapsed earlier this week. He's in a medically induced coma, as they drain the blood and try to locate the damaged area and determine whether there's been any brain damage. Prayers also for my nephew, Joe, who's having a very hard time with this. His father died of a brain hemmorage, after a clot broke loose, following successful cancer surgery, so this is kind of deju vu for him. Thank you.

Pat said...

Lots of good vibes coming for Matt and Joe, DR. What a frightening thing!

Bill your weeks always sound busy, as do DR's. Next week is actually a busy one for me, too, with two book groups, the investment group, a sick friend, the usual mom duties and trying to figure out why my new DVD player puts a buzz on the soundtrack of the DVD.

I haven't related much to the Top Chef contestants this time, but maybe as the field narrows down, I'll pick a fave or two.

Bill, I think your selections for the cousins' amusement sound great, and even though I don't believe in ghosts, I'd take that tour for sure.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Speaking of busy weeks it sure seems like you have had one!

Here at the web pages for The Grotto and Saturday Market:

www.thegrotto.org

portlandsaturday.com

Get that you finished up with the analysis and attacked the to do list! The nagging stuff is always good to get done. I want to hear about the show next week!!

Enjoy Maryanne and TJ's visit. Great that the dogs get along.

Of course Matt has all my prayers as does Joe.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Wow does you next week ever sound busy. Everyone always says my weeks are busy but yet I think my life is boring!

What are your book groups reading? Your sick friend, is he/she going to be OK?

There are to many contestants on Top Chef right now. Nobody gets much air time so you can't really get to know them. I picked Kelly from the start because I liked her bio and wanted to root for a woman.

I'm agnostic with ghosts. Neither believe or disbelieve. I have had some paranormal experiences but I am not sure of those could be explained or not.

Bill

dona said...

Wow Bill, you sure have had a busy week and sounds like it will keep going for this week too. It sounds like the reunion is coming along just fine. I would love to do any of the things to do you have prepared for the cousins...sounds great. And we would also be at the ghost tour, as the Shankster is a big follower in all the mentioned Ghost shows!

DR, good vibes/prayers heading in the direction of Matt and Joe. Hoping it will work out for the best.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Hope you and The Shankster are doign well!

I didn't know Shanksy was interested in the paranormal! I watch celebrity ghost stories but that is about it!

Bill