Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inform, Tick Off, & The Booby Prize

Now much on the agenda today. One article to inform. One article to tick you off. One article about a new product that college women are buying. Let's start with the information:

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/top-5-suspected-everyday-carcinogens-in-the-american-cancer-soci/19556272

I knew some of the information but the dry cleaning and foam food packaging was new to me. I was also surprised about shift work. Is there anything on the list that surprises you?

Next up is an article that will have you mumbling swear words. Or maybe even yelling those blue words at the top of your voice:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_bi_ge/us_aig_bailout

Should we have bailed out the banks? Frankly, I would have let them fail. And why in the world are we sending that much money to foreign banks?

Now on to a helpful woman's product that will allow you to sneak wine and other drinks into the movies so you don't have to pay the high prices for drinks that the theaters charge:

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2010/07/21/why-didnt-i-think-of-that-the-wine-rack-already-a-breast-sell/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fsmallbusiness.aol.com%2F2010%2F07%2F21%2Fwhy-didnt-i-think-of-that-the-wine-rack-already-a-breast-sell%2F

Is the wine rack a good idea? I certainly would consider a title change, how about you?

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus

I was born in 1869 and lived until I was one hundred and one years old. I was considered to be a leading expert in occupational health and was a pioneer in the field of toxicology. I studied the effects of industrial metals and chemical compounds had on the human body. I was the second of four sisters. I was originally home schooled but went on the receive my doctor of medicine from the wolverine university. I interned in both Minnesota and New England. After doing some research in Europe I became a professor of pathology at the Woman's Medical School of Northwestern. I became a member of a house founded by another featured who am I of the day, Jane Addams. Living with poor residents of the community I became increasingly interested in the problems workers faced, especially occupational injuries and illnesses. I would be appointed to the newly formed Occupational Diseases Commission of Illinois, the first such investigative body in the United States. For the next decade I investigated a range of issues for a variety of state and federal health committees. I focused my explorations on occupational toxic disorders. When I accepted a professorship at an Ivy League university the newspaper headline was: "A Woman on Harvard Faculty—The Last Citadel Has Fallen—The Sex Has Come Into Its Own." I was still discriminated against as I was excluded from social activities and the all-male graduation processions. That didn't keep me from being included in the list of Men in Science. I received the Lasker Award in 1947. Who Am I?

2 comments:

Pat said...

Oh, good grief! More stuff to be scared of. I'll admit I'd be curious to be tested for styrene, as I rarely drink from polystyrene cups or take home a doggy portion from a restaurant in one. Also should check whether my makeup has titanium in it. Diesel fuel? Yeah, it's everywhere, just as they said.

Goldman-Sachs -- phooey pitooie.

As to the wine rack, I wouldn't rename it. I think the name is perfect. But do you like your wine or other beverage warm? It sure would be after being worn in a bra.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That was my reaction too. I just don't think you can lead a life worried about what gives you cancer and what doesn't. There used to a be a cancer scare every year at Thanksgiving. One year it was cranberries, one year it was a hot dogs. I do think you can do things to reduce you risks like everything in moderation.

Now I am wondering how they would chill the wine!

Bill