Monday, July 26, 2010

Classified Cleaning & Sleeping.

First up are cleaning tips. It is on the top of my list because I have been indulged in the moving of furniture, the washing of windows, the looking for dead bodies under the bed and other untold places. That is why the article got my attention. I do wonder what it says about me that I always do eight of the ten on the list. When you clean how many of the items on the list do you clean?

http://www.shelterpop.com/2010/07/15/cleaning-tips-neglected-areas/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl8|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shelterpop.com%2F2010%2F07%2F15%2Fcleaning-tips-neglected-areas%2F

We talked about this subject on the blog before but now happily married couples are choosing to sleep in separate beds at a an amazingly growing rate! Right now they estimate twenty-five percent of all married couples sleep apart. It is estimated that by the year 2015 sixty percent of all house built will come with two master bedrooms. What do you think a good idea or a bad idea?

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/07/26/is-the-romance-gone-couples-increasingly-sleeping-in-separate-beds/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl7|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2F2010%2F07%2F26%2Fis-the-romance-gone-couples-increasingly-sleeping-in-separate-beds%2F

Now the most serious article of the day. The website WikiLeaks released ninety-two thousand classified documents about the Afghanistan war. The documents cover six years ending in 2009 and covering both the Bush and The Obama administrations. I come down on the side of releasing classified documents is treason and the owners of the websites should be arrested and banned from releasing classified information in the future. While the owners of the website said their information didn't put soldiers in danger, I have my doubts. It just isn't worth the risk of putting one soldier in danger. What side do you come down on? Good idea for WikiLeaks to release classified information or a bad idea? You can read the following article for more information.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2010/07/gibbs-document-disclosure-is-breach-of-federal-law/1

Back to cleaning. I have add the computer and moving the baseboards to my list.

WHO AM I

I was born in 1876 under I name that I am lesser known by. People know me by my kind of weird pen mame. Weird until they know it translates to Red Bird. I did many things in my life including writing, editing, playing music, teaching and I was also a political activist. I was raised on a reservation in South Dakota by my Mom. My father was a little known white man. I left the reservation at age eight to attend a Quaker mission school. I went on to study in college until I ended up at the New England Conservatory of Music. I began publishing short stories and autobiographical vignettes. I married a mixed-race Army captain. We had one son. My writing is said to be separated in to two periods. The first period, which began at the turn of the century is when I wrote mainly legends and autobiographical narratives. I continued to write during the following years I didn't publish. These unpublished writings have been collected and published after my death. The second period was from 1916 to 1924 when my writing was almost exclusively made up of political writings. That was when I was working as a research agent for the Indian Welfare Committee and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. I wrote accounts of the hardships which myself and other Native Americans encountered when they were sent to boarding schools designed to “civilize” the Indian children. When I was in college I entered an oratorical contest at the college and won first place. Later I entered the Indiana State Oratorical Contest as the representative from my college and finished second. People not only made racist comments to me but some members of the audience waved a flag ridiculing me with the picture of a “forlorn” Indian and the word “squaw” on the flag. I co-authored the first Native American Opera that danced in the Sun all the way to Broadway. I wrote the libretto and songs. Together Mr. Hanson and I collaborated to transcribe them and create variations and harmonies with Western musical notation. Publicity mentioned only Hanson as composer. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I haven't read the whole article yet, but what stopped me and turned me against the leak was that apparently they included the names of local residents who have helped our troops. This is extremely dangerous for those people and for that reason alone, I am opposed to leaking the documents.

OTOH, I do think we should know as much about what's going on in our foreign invasions as possible, but such information should be redacted to protect anyone who might be endangered.

"Cleaning"? What's that? My fridge needs it very badly, and in fact, I'm glad they reminded me about the coils, which I actually will clean from time to time. As to the rest of the hints, they are mostly things I try not to think about.

As to couples sleeping separately, I think it's probably good for some couples, esp. when one partner snores, grinds teeth, moans, or thrashes. To each his own, I say, and if you have to separate for the night to get some good sleep, then do it. There's always visitation for the other stuff. {g}

Lady DR said...

Wow, interesting articles. Let's see if I can remember what I wanted to comment on...

Cleaning: I do most of the stuff on a fairly regular (if not weekly) basis. Behind the refrig, maybe a couple times a year. Since ours have enclosed coils, that's not an issue. Baseboards can be easily cleaned of dust and hair, using the small brush attachment on your vacuum hose, the the Magic Eraser sponges. Blinds, I hate with a passion, although we have them throughout the house. *IF* removing them from the valance top isn't a major project, take them outside, hose them off, scrub with a brush, hose again and let dry in the sun a couple times a year.

Sleeping in separate beds... not our thing, but then we have a king sized bed, which gives us plenty of room to sprawl, without knocking knees, and even room for Skeeter. Even though I go to bed much later than Himself and he's up much earlier than I am, we don't seem to disturb each other with our different schedules. Even if he snores, it doesn't bother me, because I know he's alive and breathing and that's important, after our scare with the heart attack many years ago. I don't see us with separate beds, let alone separate bedrooms. When Walt had cancer, we had a hospital bed in the bedroom, but rarely used it.

The leaks -- I do have a problem with this. I know many people have an issue with "need to know" vs "want to know," but if these documents contain any information, of any kind, that gives the other side any indication of what we're doing, who our allies may be, exposes innocent civilians who are trying to win their freedom or creates any danger to our troops, those who published them should be hung up by their thumbs (being nice, here) and left out to dry. We may have made mistakes and some bad decisions, but classified is classified for a reason in this instance (not necessarily true for "classified" stuff on the corps and bank bailouts) and I'm with you in prosecuting those who leaked the information, particularly since it appears Wikileak or whatever the name is has their own agenda.

Good luck on finishing the cleaning. Your folks start arriving tomorrow, right? If we don't see you, we'll know you're having fun and enjoying yourself. We'll manage, while you enjoy yourself, so go play!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The leaks are one of those things I might be more open to if it weren't for talk radio. Like you I am against because they put citizens that helped us in danger which might prevent other citizens from helping us. The talk radio thing is I am betting with in the next two or three days the talking heads will place the blame on Obama and ignore that the period of release was six years, only one year before they adopted a new strategy. Anything that could be used by talk radio to misinform their followers I am dead set against.

I like your attitude towards cleaning!

The thing about couples sleeping together that your comment reminded me of was I read another article that said married couples that slept apart found out that it improved their sex lives. They weren't as tired and when they had date night it was like they were dating.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

The first cousin comes in Friday, most of them come in Thursday, some come in Friday and then the locals come for the dinner Saturday night.

Some of the cleaning stuff just made sense and are kind of obvious. Like the microwave and the fridge, if you use either often you can tell when they are dirty. I can't imagine anyone ignoring that. Blinds are pain in the rump.

King size bed might be the secret. It does sound like you and Himself have adjusted easily to each other and in your case it might be harder to sleep apart then together.

I'm with you on the leaks. I would try the web masters for treason.

I do plan on taking the computer to the hotel where they have free Internet. I just thing there will be so many people that there won't be a chance to log on.

Bill