Monday, July 5, 2010

Spiders & Friends

I hope you all survived yesterday's celebrations with all your fingers, arms, and legs in tact. I was at Mom's last night and I am there today and tonight. Sis does Tuesday and Wednesday night and then the caregiver is back Thursday night. Now on to today's subjects, spiders and friends.

Are you scared of spiders? I'm not really scared of spiders but growing up once I was bitten by a brown one that caused me all sorts of problems. I even had to take drugs for a while. Still that didn't leave me afraid of the little critters because I am bigger than they are. There is now an Austrian university that is seeking young girls to participate in a study to figure what about the little dudes that scare us. Here is a brief article about the study:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100630/od_nm/us_spiders_fear

Maybe you aren't scared of spiders but are you lonely? Need friends? Here is an article to tell you how you can get a few friends:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/07/02/rentafriend-com-find-a-friend-for-a-price/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl2|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F07%2F02%2Frentafriend-com-find-a-friend-for-a-price%2F

I just want you all to know I will be your friend for free. No Charge. I'm loyal and can bark like a dog.

Questions of the day: Are you scared of spiders? Do you want to know why? Would you ever rent a friend? If they had two friends for the price of one coupons would that make a difference?

Enjoy the day!

Who Am I?

I was born in 1911 and died much to young in 1956. Oh the records I could have set if I lived longer. I am remembered as being as versatile as Lottie. I was the sixth of seven children born to immigrants from Norway. I moved to Texas when I was four. I am said to have acquired my famous nickname after hitting five home runs in a childhood baseball game. I gained my fame in other sports besides baseball. I could sew with the best of them and won the sewing championship at a State Fair. I made all my outfits. I was also a singer and a harmonica player that graduated from high school but never attended college. I recorded several songs including one where she felt like a kitchen appliance. I married a professional wrestler. After which I did some part time acting. We had no children. Besides the sport that I medaled in I was an excellent diver, roller-skater, and bowler. I won two golds and one silver four years before Jesse was snubbed by Hitler. I worked as a secretary for a company that allowed me to compete in the AAU championships in which one year I competed in eight of the ten events, I won five of them outright and tied for first in a sixth. I set five world records. After that I performed on the vaudeville circuit. I also competed in billiards though not winning a championship. I later would become famous in a sport that made Jack and Arnold famous. I was denied amateur status and was the first woman to compete in a men's event which wasn't duplicated until almost sixty years later. I was diagnosed with colon cancer at forty-two years old. After cancer surgery I made a comeback and become the second oldest woman ever to win a tour event. The cancer recurred two years later during which I still won two of eight events that I competed in. I died when I was sill in the front of all my female competitors. Before dying my husband and I established a Fund to support cancer clinics. I broke the accepted models of femininity in my time, including the accepted models of female athleticism. Although just 5'5" tall I was physically strong and socially straightforward about my strength. Although a hero to many I was also derided for my "manliness". I died ten years before the Second Wave of feminism that altered the social landscape of the United States. My real claim to fame is being mentioned in a Simpson's episode. I penned an autobiography that is no longer in print but is available in many libraries. Who Am I?

5 comments:

Pat said...

I'm not afraid of spiders except when I find one in my bed, which hasn't happened for a very long time now (she says, knocking wood that this happy state continues).

I mostly find them in the bathtub, and I recently read that they do not crawl up the drain. They come from wherever they come from, but when they land in the bathtub, they can't get out again. When I find one there, I put a glass cup over it, slide a piece of cardboard underneath, and carry the little critter outdoors, where I hope it will have a happy life.

I never thought about renting a friend, and even if I wanted to do that for a special occasion where nobody wanted to go with me, the prices seem a little steep, so I don't think I'll register.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I thought the rent a friend prices were extremely high!! I'd go alone to the event before hiring someone at that price.

As to the spiders you are a lot more charitable then I am, I usually step on them.

Bill

dona said...

I am not afraid of spiders either. Although I wouldn't want to be bitten by one either, as you were Bill. I am assuming that was a brown recluse. I hear those bites are very bad. I also step on them or hit them with whatever is handy. The Shankster is more like Pat and will take them outside.

The Rent a friend thing...I wouldn't do it, yes the prices seem pretty steep and although I think it is a wonderful idea for those who need social contact but don't have friends, I also see it may be something that could also go the other way. Nowadays you just never know, even the best ideas can go wrong.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

It was a brown recluse and I was sick for a week, it wasn't really painful just sickening!

I guess as a last resort rent a friend wouldn't be a bad idea but there are so many options I think it sad that someone would have to pay to have a friend. Church, work, volunteer work. So many options!

Bill

Anonymous said...

Excellent topic

Some of my friend on www.RentAFriend.com
told me about this.

I think this is best!