Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Follow-ups & Lists

Just a couple of things on the blog today. First up is a follow-up article to our yesterday's discussion about Alzheimer's:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/DN-alzheimers_14nat.ART.State.Edition1.293bf6e.html

I am a little concerned that the early diagnosis may go overboard and we may end up with what we are seeing now with some cancers. Over-treatment. While I am very glad we are starting to talk about this dreadful disease and exxploring ways to delay the onset of i, I worry that more diagnosis of it does bring with it the risk of more cases of wrong diagnosis. I'm withholding judgment.

Next up is a list that I hope will help you complete many tasks! Need to remove blood stains from your clothes? Do you need help loosening a rusty bolt? Neutralize a jellyfish sting? Relieve congestion? Strip paint off of furniture? Here is the list that will help you do it!

http://www.wisebread.com/51-uses-for-coca-cola-the-ultimate-list

As always you comments and takes on the above two articles are greatly appreciated!

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer Margaret Bourke-White

I was born in 1928 to a father that was a doorman and a navy dietitian and a mother who was a real estate agent, trained surgical nurse, and a merchant marine. I am most known by a nickname my brother gave me that is the same name as one recent contestant on Dancing With The Stars. One of my early influences was The Bard. My parents' marriage ended when I was three and we went to Governor Clinton's State to live with my dad's mother. We were later returned to the care of my mother where I was raped by my mother's boyfriend. The boyfriend was found guilty and jailed for one day. Four days later he was found dead. Many think it was the work of my uncle. I became mute because of the trauma and because I thought that my voice had killed him. I spoke again five years later. The teacher that helped me speak again introduced me to authors. During WWII I attended high school and studied dance and drama at a labor school. During school I became the first female streetcar conductor in the Golden Gate city. Three weeks after school my first son was born. As a single Mom at times I had to work as a prostitute or madam to support us. In all I would marry three times. My talents led me to travel Europe with a production of Porgy and Bess. I learned the language of every country we performed in. We moved later to New York and that is where I began to write. I am credited with organizing the Cabaret For Freedom to benefit a leadership conference. When in Ghana I became close friends with Malcolm X and helped him build a civil rights organization. I suffered greatly when both Martin and Malcolm were assassinated, Martin being assassinated on my birthday. After their assassinations I wrote an award winning autobiography. I also wrote one of Flack's song and composed movie scores. When Roots hit the airwaves I had a supporting role in it. When Bill Clinton was inaugurated in 1993 I recited one of my poems. Nobody since Frost and JFK had done that. I would become the first woman of my nationality to direct a major motion picture. My life was chronicled in a series of five autobiographies, the first described by Julian Mayfield as a work of art that eludes description. The first autobiography was criticized by many parents causing its removal from school curricula and school libraries. After reading my poem at Bill's coming out party sales of my paperbacks and poems rose three hundred to six hundred percent. While my first autobiography was banned from many schools it has also been used to train teachers how to talk about race in their classrooms. I am considered on of the most honored writers of my generation including induction into the National Women's Hall of Fame and winning the National Medal of Arts. Pat already knows who I am and I am betting if others think of a bird singing after escaping from a cage they will know the answer to the question, Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Bill, I share your concerns about early testing for Alzheimer's. My first thought was that I wouldn't want to know long before symptoms appeared. Knowing it was a strong possibility would make my life hell as I watched for symptoms.

If it can lead to treatments that might arrest the disease, then I guess I'm for it, but as of now, I'll withhold judgment along with you.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm glad we share the same concerns. However, I think I would want to know then I could explore the possibility of assisted suicide. I certainly wouldn't want to be the way my dad was the last three years of his life.

Like you if the early treatments could help arrest of find a cure for the diseases then of course I would be supportive. But not until then.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I have to weigh in with both of you on the issue of early testing for Alzheimer's. On the one hand, I wouldn't want to know, particularly given how iffy the current status of testing and treatment seem to be. On the other hand, knowing would allow taking preventative steps, although the one thing that really turned me off was the "advantages" this offered to drug companies, who could develop preventative strategies. So, until there's proof that early diagnosis and treatment can prevent onset or arrest symptoms, I'm in wait and see mode.

As to the "coke" article... I've seen many of these before. Also the fact it can remove stains and lye and stubborn stains in toilets. And, I have to be honest, when I look at what its acidic and other contents can accomplish, I really have to ask why someone would want to put this in their body. I mean... what's it doing to organs and such? After reading the longer list I received from someone a year ago, I figured drinking coke was a lot like drinking battery acid, with chemical additives. Fortunately, I've not been a coke drinker (or any kind of soda) for decades. I stick with my morning coffee, afternoon water and a couple glasses of wine in the evening (g).

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The iffy status of the testing is why I am withholding judgement.
I agree with you about the drug companies, you think they would have a heart and help since they are ran by people.

Anything that clean batteries can't be healthy to drink. I do drink some diet coke but have continually decreased my intake.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Himself has moved from diet cokes and other sodas as standard fare to green tea with ginsing and chocolate milk and "cherry burst." I must admit to a certain amount of relief, after various reports I've read.

William J. said...

Hi DR

After DR OZ estolled the virtues of green tea I also started drinking it.

Bill