Sunday, July 25, 2010

Reunion Week Update.

There is no Who Am I today and there won't be one during the cousin reunion so next Thursday through Sunday there won't be a Who Am I and on some of those days there may even not be a blog entry. The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Dr. Alice Hamilton, the first woman professor at Harvard.

Besides all the good vibes and prayers and positive thoughts we are already sending to the blog family we need to add two more to the list. Mary's son Danny is visiting Japan and while there had an allergic reaction to food and is hospitalized. How hard must it be for a Mom to be so far from her son when he is in the hospital? I just can't imagine. So send what you have Mary and Danny's direction. Also send some DanaRae and Skeeter's direction. Skeeter is DR's loyal dog and companion for over fifteen years and has taken a turn for the worse. They are taking her to the vet tomorrow for some tests. Let's all use the blog vibes for DR and Skeeter!

Not much on the agenda last week. Mostly finalizing things for the reunion. Soft drinks were on sale at Albertson's so bought enough for the reunion dinner Saturday night. Also went to the restaurant supply store to get the condiments for the evening. Then I cleaned out the thirty cup coffee pot that I have. Also took my bottles back to the store. For those of you that don't kno, Oregon has a bottle bill and every time you buy a can or bottle of anything including water they add a nickel to the price. Then when the cans or botttles are empty you return them to the store and get that nickel back. It keeps people from littering the highways and byways with them. In addition I did have two lunches out with Mom and a dinner out with the family. Also did some reading and television watching.

On the agenda this week. Just got back from doing four loads of laundry. This afternoon is a small birthday party for my sister. Then the next three days is severe house cleaning including shampooingthe carpet. Sometime before Wednesday Clara needs a good bath. Clara is my car, named after my aunt Clara who basically bought the car for me. From Wednesday on I will act as concierge of the cousins. Sunday everyone will be heading home and I know it will be hard to see everyone go but then rest will be on the horizon for the next couple of days.

The only thing on the entertainment front is the Top Chef update. I really liked this take on Top Chef:

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/07/22/sit-down-youre-rocking-the-boat-top-chef-d-c/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashfood.com%2F2010%2F07%2F22%2Fsit-down-youre-rocking-the-boat-top-chef-d-c%2F

Winner of the Quickfire Challenge was my gal Kelly. Winner of the elimination challenge was Kevin. Sent packing was Tamesha. It is getting more interesting now that there are less than ten chefs. Everyone is getting more time and giving your more reason to dislike or like them!

You know the drill. The blog is now yours. Tell me everything. And if you have been reading the blog for a awhile and haven't posted yet I sure would love it if you introduced yourself!

8 comments:

Pat said...

Lots of good vibes coming for Mary and Danny, and for DR and Skeeter, too. I sure feel for both of them.

And some for you, too, Bill, that the Cousins' Reunion goes swimmingly. I know it will.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thank you from me! I am pretty sure we got all the bases covered for the reunion. I will just worry until it is over.

And I am sure DR and Mary thank you!

Bill

Mary said...

Thanks, both of you! Yes, he's fine now, and I just need to go take a walk and settle down. It may take a few hours.

I hope your reunion is fabulous!

dona said...

Sending good vibes to DR and Skeeter. Also sending wishes for Danny and Mary, that Danny will continue to improve since all is well.
Good wishes to you too Bill for the upcoming reunion. I am sure all will go well and I know I will miss your posts, but think that you will have enough on your plate, so I say skip the blog during the reunion, we will all just wait for your update when everyone is gone!

William J. said...

Hi Mary

You are better woman than I am a man because it wouldn't take me hours to settle down, it would take me days!

I'm glad Danny fine!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Thanks for your wishes! They are appreciated.

For the reunion I got Mom and I a room at the hotel and with all the cousins there I think it is going to be hard getting to the computer!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Mary, what good news that all is well with Danny. Yes, I'm sure a walk and lots of deep breathing will help, now that you know he's okay. What a scary time you had.

Thanks to all of you for any good thoughts and vibes for Skeeter. She seems to be better tonight and we may wait on seeing the vet, as there's a possibility the trip to Waynesville and the excessive heat we've had are contributing factors.. We know we're on borrowed time, but except for not eating much (and none of us are eating much in this weather), she seems to have rallied in the last few hours. We know she's showing no signs of pain or respiratory problems, so we'll take it a day or hour at a time, until that appears to change. She definitely has "doggy Alzheimer's" and often isn't sure who she is, where she is or why she's there, just standing and staring into space, so we suspect the trip to a "new place" exacerbated the problems, as well.

You say not much on your agenda, Bill but it sounds like you had a busy week and you're going to have a real busy few days, then a lot of fun at the reunion. I agree with Dona -- concentrate on your family and enjoying them and don't worry about posting blog entries until the last of the folks have headed out. If your reunion is anything like the one we had in IL, you won't have ten minutes when you're not talking with someone until all hours, except the few hours sleep you may get (wry s).

Past week was editorial, the pool three days, a fun luncheon for a long-time line dance gal, who's moving to northern NC for a wonderful position with a Christian college up there, now she has her PhD. A day getting food and such ready for the ham fest and loading the RV, then Friday and Saturday at the ham fest. Maryanne and TJ went with us in their RV.

HOT is the byword here, triple digits for several days. Came close to a brown-out today. Lights dimmed in Himself's shop and he checked outlets and we were getting only 90, rather 110 volts, so turn off the dryer, give up the vacuuming, forget using a stove or microwave, turn off any non-essential lights and turn the temps up on the a/c, to reduce pull on power. Hopefully, with folks at work tomorrow, we can do today's duties, although the temps aren't going to be any better. If only we'd get some rain!

Bill, best wishes for a successful and fun family reunion for everyone, especially you.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am very glad Skeeter is rallying and will keep the precious little one in my prayers that now that she is home she will keep on improving.

I think are reunion will be a lot like yours and my job is just to make sure everyone has everything they need. I plan on staying as near to the hotel as possible.

You had a darn busy week too! Congrats to your Doctor friend and her new position!

I bet it was fun caravanning with TJ and Maryanne!

I am praying for rain for you!

Thanks for the wishes!!

Bill