Friday, July 23, 2010

YIKES!!!

I looked at the calendar this morning and was shocked to learn that the cousin reunion is less than a week away! I hope there is enough food for everyone and everyone has an outstanding time! My cousin Belva this morning in an email assured me everything will be great because all they are going to do is have fun! Then she told me not to worry. Telling me not to worry? Sorry, Belva, that isn't going to happen. I mean I worry about worrying to much. What I really think I need is a good luck charm, like the ones mentioned in the following article:

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2010/07/21/do-you-have-a-good-luck-charm/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl6|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fsmallbusiness.aol.com%2F2010%2F07%2F21%2Fdo-you-have-a-good-luck-charm%2F

When I played sports I always wore a penny with my birth year on it some where on my uniform, usually in the tongue of my shoes. I always pick a penny up so the rest of the day I have good luck. I never walk under a ladder or on the opposite of a pole than the person I am with. I kept my good luck wallet until it fell apart. But now that I think I need a good luck charm I can't find one. I've got a lot of errands to run today so maybe I will see if I can buy a rabbits foot or a good luck angel!

What about you? What is your good luck charm. if any? What do you think I should do to make sure the cousin reunion goes swimmingly? Throw salt over my shoulder? I'm open to suggestions.

Before closing I wanted to share this very touching and informative video about an amazing project and an even more amazing kid. It is a little under three two minutes and well worth the time.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/video_childrens_healing_art_pr.html

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Mary Katherine Goddard, the first woman postmistress.

When you turn fifty I am truly the person you like to hate because I founded the organization that sends someone to hide under your mailbox to jump out on your fiftieth birthday to put tons of information in your mailbox on how to join the organization. Discounts be damned nobody wants to be reminded they are old enough to join my organization but the evil side of me just wants to let you know we exist! I was born in San Francisco in 1884 and died in 1967. I became a long time educator and The Golden State's first woman high school principal. I received a Bachelor of Philosophy from The University of Chicago, a B.S. degree from Lewis Institute and then both a Master's and Doctorate Degree from the West Coast Football University currently on suspension for recruiting violations. When I realized that retired teachers were living on incredibly small pensions, often without any health insurance, I approached more than thirty companies to offer health insurance to retired teachers, before I found someone willing to take a chance a retired teachers organization. It was later expanded to a larger population and became a new organization. My guiding principles for the organization were: Collective voice, collective purchasing power, and the collective ability to do good and give back through service. My motto is “To serve, not to be served.” Who Am I?

2 comments:

Pat said...

I don't carry a good luck charm, but there's one bridge I go over where there's a stop light at the top, and as I look waaaaay down at the freeway below, I always grope around for something made of wood to hold for enough luck to NOT have an earthquake while I'm stuck up there.

I'd pick up a penny because after all, it's 1/100th of a dollar and sometimes you need one or two. If I walk on the opposite side of a pole from a friend, I always mutter "bread & butter", and I don't walk under ladders. I consider all of these rather silly superstitions, but I abide by them anyway, so go figure.

I think you've already done everything to make the cousin reunion go well, so relax and enjoy it. {S}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It is interesting because I also think they are silly superstitions and I also abide by them. Why take chances? I also the first week of work will never go to work the same way. Different way there the first five days.

I will send vibes that you never have an earthquake while you are stuck on that bridge.

And I learned an out for those with me that don't follow the same side of the pole rule. Bread & Butter. I had never heard that.

I will try very much to relax! And I really shouldn't worry, the cousins are pretty good folks. But still.............

Bill