Monday, July 12, 2010

The Charming & The Troubling.

Here is the charming story of the week!

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/07/09/u-s-marines-rescue-kittens/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawnation.com%2F2010%2F07%2F09%2Fu-s-marines-rescue-kittens%2F

Just to damn adorable for words!

The next subject isn't adorable at all, I find it very troubling:

http://www.aolnews.com/money/article/womens-pay-gap-with-men-stops-narrowing/19548380?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl1|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fmoney%2Farticle%2Fwomens-pay-gap-with-men-stops-narrowing%2F19548380

There is so much about this article that bothers me. The pay gap widens as women get older which strikes me not only as sex discrimination but age discrimination as well. The pay gap has quit widening and maybe dropped a little. Have women got to comfortable where they are and quit fighting for equal pay? We don't seem to see the vocal equal rights leaders out there that we used to. Does the poor economy have anything to do with the increasing gap?

Your comments are always appreciated.

WHO AM I?

I was born in Connecticut in 1902 and died in New York at age 90. I am most known for my work in genetic structure of maize and a famous prize in Physiology. I was the third of four children of a physician and a homemaker. I was independent from a very young age. From about the age of three until the time I started school I lived with an aunt and uncle in order to reduce the financial burden on my parents while dad established his medical practice. My mother resisted the idea of higher education for her daughters, believing it would make them unmarriageable. The family also had financial problems. I was almost prevented from starting college, but my father intervened. I went to an Ivy league's College of Agriculture to study botany. A professor was impressed by my interest and telephoned to invite me to participate in a graduate genetics course. Because women could not major in genetics at the Ivy League College my MA and PHD earned in consecutive years were in botany. After I was appointed an instructorship at the college I developed a technique using carmine staining to visualize maize chromosomes. I was the first person to describe the cross-shaped interaction of homologous chromosomes during meiosis. Because of my work I was given fellowships that allowed me to continue to study genetics at a University in the show me state and at a famous technical school in the west. Another fellowship sent me to Germany for six months of training. One of the things I dd was discover transposition and then used that to show how genes are responsible for turning physical characteristics on or off. I was the third woman elected to the National Academy of Sciences and was the first woman president of a gene society. was awarded fourteen Honorary Doctor of Science degrees and an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters. I was also inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame. I was cosidered one of the world's most distinguished cytogeneticists. Who Am I?

Do you know how to tell an X chromosome from a Y chromosome? You pull down its genes.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Women should definitely receive equal pay for equal work. And in my experience, they usually do. To equal the total pay stats, they should be encouraged when young to enter those fields which pay well. Girls today are still steered away from scientific and technical fields early in their school years.

It does bother me a little that the stats seem to lump people who work FT and those who work part-time together. That must skew the pay rates quite a lot. It is true that women have (or take) the lion's share of responsibility for homemaking and childcare, but working only part-time is still a choice, and total annual salaries should not be lumped in with those working FT, if that's what they're doing.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You always have such an interesting perspective on things and always fair about the statistics.

In accounting the women aren't paid as much as men and I think that kind of sucks because I definitely believe woman should receive equal pay for equal work.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Thanks for the articles on the kittens. This type of thing is so seldom shown. Ditto the many instances of our troops in Iran working with the children, playing ball with them and interacting positively. War is h*ll and there's no doubt about it, but it would be nice if the media would share more of the positive things our men and women are doing to help those in the countries where we're/they're fighting.

As to the pay gap. I agree with Pat that lumping full and part time together doesn't work well for accurate stats (if there is such a thing). However, I also think we need to realize that the older female population represents the group encouraged to go into teaching, nursing, etc., rather than technical fields of any nature and that's probably part of what's being reflected in the stats. It wasn't until what... 20 years ago? ... that women began entering the medical, engineering, IT, legal fields, if memory serves. Therefore, most women over the age of 40 are going to be found in lower paying fields, service fields.

OTOH, you're right, the women's movement and activism for equal pay has been very quiet the last few years, whether because of the economy, I don't know. At this point, with unemployment so high, we may be back to the mindset that men need to be hired first and paid more, so they can support their families? The report is discouraging and I do think women still struggle to earn as much as men in like positions, but I think it may have some flaws. I also think comparisons need to be made between like positions, rather than on an overall basis. You mention women in accounting not being paid as much as men, which surprised me. I wonder if that's equally true in areas of engineering, IT, medicine and such.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm a sucker for a good kitten or dog story.

Great point about the older female population!

I certainly hope we aren't back to the man must be hired first thinking, that would be tragic.

Accounting is a stiff profession. The most often comment I got from clients was "you can't be an accountant you have a sense of humor." With no humor in the profession it used be your classic good old boy profession. When I started out you had to wear a three piece suit, white shirt, ties with no patterns, and wing tipped shoes. You couldn't eat at a clients, it was considered unprofessional to brown bag it.

My first job in accounting was with a big eight firm. They had one female on the audit staff and the only reason they had her was federal contracts required at least one woman on staff. At first they wouldn't send her to clients and part of the reason was that clients didn't want a woman auditing their books.

It has improved tremendously. At the accounting seminars I went to recently about half the attendees were women. We still have a ways to go.

Bill